Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Linux system log never forgets!!!!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Re: Linux system log never forgets!!!!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks Ryanvade will be joining that real soon! 3rd OS is a bust is like Humpty Dumpty it had a great fall and nothing could put it back together again! Just going to update the sources in No2 add a few things and slap it back together, cause other one needs way way too much work! If you type aptitude -f install in that system wants to remove the entire system and install about 20 documents, so you know is done! Heard was not a swift move to put Vbox in as changes permissions and whammo nothing installs correctly without those permissions. Then we had all those experimental parts, poor decision on my part! Should have not been so greedy to get 3.10 gnome desktop cause it got me into boiling hot water! Best would have been to just compile that desktop from source, but of course have to learn that better as to do it! I believe this time around will have proper compilers installed, last time was not right! Shame as 3rd was set to compile just about anything, but is the way it goes when it comes to learning! Have to be thankful as at least I have seen 2 of my systems work pretty good! May not be as great as Ultimate, but then again there are many that fall way short of it! Awesome to see TheeMahn hit 4.0! Man, does he have the drive and enthusiasm! Sure keeps me going and will always cheer him on as he is a true artist at this! Amazing how well organized he is and wish one day, I will be half as great! Well back to it! Hoping this repair job will be good as sure was out of date with some things!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:45 am

For those new at building or even those like myself that have done a few. To get rid of these nags after you have resolved the issue simply go in var/crash and delete the file of files! Do this before you make the image! As I move along with all this, seems it does not get easier! Right now am fighting a problems with both systems. Have not given up totally on number 3 as feel I might be able to fix it. Number 2 went through the mill as places I got parts, were no longer active and running. Things had to be revamped a bit, but a leftover problem exists of on gnome tweak the alternatives button is on. Somewhere along the line what it causes is the buttons on the right side to min, max or close are now on the left side on all desktops minus Gnome! Bottom taskbar does not hold its transparency very long at all!

Overall system running is better than before, but I am greedy and want it the best it can be so am constantly when time permits trying to resolve these few issues. Another problem that remains is sometimes when switching to another desktop on logout it does not make it! Error that comes out of it is libmenu cache2, but is baffling as I watch the 3rd one I created achieve that same error message and it has zero problems in that area!!!! To be totally honest, this is the first time I have seen switching desktops move as fast and accurately as the 3rd one does!

Right now I am running the revamped number 2 OS I created, but of course this was the immediate one after rebuilding so had problems. Everyone knows I generally use Ubuntu Builder as to not have to type as many lines or copy/paste more likely! So on the rebuild, I blew some of the architecture and the image created came out as i386! Remember now, these 64bits have quite a bit of files to run if you plan on using programs such as Wine, as I always do! So when you have over a gig of updates to do and need to dwindle them down a bit, due to needing to be careful of expenses on your provider, you wind up finagling some things as I did! About 700mb of the updates belonged to KDE and other belonged to Gnome and the rest. Since, I made errors on the KDE desktop and I really do not use it that much, I opted to let it go!

In doing so, there are also dependencies that still belong if you are still to use KDE utilities as I always do! So once again those were added complications. I do think I came out of most of this pretty well, though! Boot time is almost unbelievable on system 2 now! I have this crazy Stargate boot screen and when that wheel stops revolving I am presented with the login screen! Was not that fast last time, so know am on the right track. Getting onto the Gnome Flashback desktop happens in one shot and very swiftly now. Of course is due to Nemo being in 2nd place! As said, been running the original remake and on the drive being tested is a newer improved version. In the improved version, I have added pieces forgotten and am hard at work on default settings. I have no wish to see ugly themes as the original Ambiance or Adwaita!

Now I have been through many files on these 2 systems in hopes of finding the correct way of doing this! In LXDE and XFCE is a simple task so far in Gnome not so! Of course Cinnamon is fairly easy also! Right now what I did for number 2 was just simply emptied the Ambiance folder and put Black Beauty III in there! What better way to start a desktop off looking right! Same goes for shell with the added adjustment of icon size! Just a lot of work, but is all in the course of learning so is well worth it! The more I learn on this creation bit, helps me to understand how to operate a more normal system correctly!!!! Right now have come up with another plan for system 2 is to remove ubuntu desktop! Yes it does make me cringe with all the dependencies and was the foundation for this system so is on the dangerous side! Better believe I will keep last image in case it does not work! I have a theory in doing so, it might just pull the rest of this system together the right way! I think some of those files in that gnome ubuntu desktop are out of wack and not properly updated and causing havoc! Of course is theory only!!!! Will see and be back to post about it!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 am

Posting back about Ubuntu and most of Unity removed. Seems to be doing better although the min,max and close buttons remain a problem, located on the wrong side. In trying to get to the bottom of this, I enlisted a nice little tool called gtkorphan. Now what this tool does is on the running system or by command line can find pieces that have no connection to anything else, generally are things that do not belong or can be removed, due to the entire program being installed.

Now basically I am posting this information due to most others not having it readily available to help those of us trying to learn building OS's. I am in high hopes some of this information will end some people's frustrations and help them avoid a high bill with their providers. With that said, also take into consideration I am no professional, I only have an Associate's degree and a high stubbornness to learn! For those building I highly suggest using programs such as virtualbox, qemu, etc. This way, you get to see where the problems exist, before you install the system. Something, I forget at times! Once again, for those creating systems, I highly suggest to avoid staging and testing parts to build with!

The main reason for that above statement is those parts are made to be uninstalled fast in case of problems. The reason for this is they are not and repeat not the finished product! Developers need ways of testing how their programs will work. The programs are then put into repositories designed for other developers and those more proficient than myself to test and eventually okay them for use with building systems. Otherwise, you will run into problems if you type the command "aptitude -f install". Simply, because these parts have not been Ubuntu approved so the normal response will be to remove those testing/staging parts and programs.

Remember also while you are building to pay close attention to the installation of programs. In the terminal window on many programs such as clamav you will notice instructions. Best is to copy/paste all instructions, then go inside those folders on the build and make the adjustments. DO NOT build until you have completed those instructions or you may not boot or you will have error messages in var/crash. Now, there are some small programs or additions say for instance to xscreensaver, that you may only find in synaptic. Best is to copy those instructions and follow them immediately after installing so it can work properly. Perhaps one day when I become more proficient at all this I can design a program to assist with some of these details, but at present is beyond me.

Another huge factor for those of us just wanting to update systems we built in the past, is to first check those original sources. This will solve massive headaches! Personally, this one would have been huge for me! We all know what assume means, right! Well, we do not want to assume that all our previous sources are still in tact! We then know with Linux everything is connected, so if we try and update something it generally affects something else. So sources have to be correct and working. Best it to check on the net to insure the repositories you have in the system you propose to update are still functional. If you are running the system is easy to find by simply typing "apt-get update" into a command window. You then have to watch for the dead source and generally it will be listed at the bottom. Then you have to find a new source, which can be endearing depending on what the program is! At points you may need to downgrade a program, such as I had to do!

Another thing you need with building OS's is a high amount of patience! This is something I lack at many instances!!! Another and most important fact, I highly suggest using a more stable OS such as Ultimate Edition when building systems. Remember, TheeMahn has been doing this stuff for years and years!!! I am a child to this and he is a Master of it! You need stability when building another OS as you can not have crashing and unknown problems going on as it will effect the build! I am guilty of this point, but once again am working hard at learning all this! Well, am off to test what the results are from dumping some unused parts. I have dumped this proposed system of mine down to simply Gnome 3.8, Cinnamon, LXDE and XFCE since those are the desktops I use all the time. Also need to have it simpler so I stop confusing myself over parts! I highly recommend for those building systems to stick with something more simple. LXDE or XFCE are about the simplest desktops to deal with. This way you can learn the parts and become more proficient. I do not recommend desktops such as Gnome or KDE to start building with as are more sophisticated and hard at points to understand. If you are to go that way, best would be to stick with KDE as is the lesser of the evils!

Moving along, after using gtkorphan can notice a definite improvement! There is reduced time logging in and out. Once again, seem controls are still in the wrong position, which greatly disturbs me, but is a problem have to nip real soon! I figured best is to nip all the other little things before so do not mess anything else up in the process! Another factor, I may have to face is if the host has the problem, will it also show on the virtualization???? Once again, I find I still have some orphans so will once again remove those. Of course is not as large a list as last time! Also so far is showing remarkable performance on login and logout from the desktops! So far no error messages, smooth and fast! One of the largest problems I used to fact was going from XFCE to Gnome Flashback. That is now gone! No studder just quick and efficient movement! So, right now I highly suggest gtkorphan for us less experienced builders!!!! Just hope this all will help. Will post back more results tomorrow as I work my OS into something that will be highly reliable!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 am

I forgot to mention with gtkorphan to pay attention to what you are agreeing to remove! This program is an awesome program to find those transitional dummy packages. What those transitional dummy packages are is an installer that puts the program into the system. Once the program is installed, those tdp's can be removed! See when you are building a larger system, space matters. Not only that, these pieces that do not need to be in the system clutter things up and of course slow things down! Now, from my past posts on fixing this system 2, I mentioned I have a problem as far as Gnome Tweak and Flashback desktop are concerned. Might sound trivial to some, but to me is an issue. I am a creature of habit with some things! I want the min,max and close on the right side not the left! Is very agitating to have something where you do not want it! Now the problem seems to be something I can't find at present. So I am doing something, I sort of dread!

I explained about staging/testing parts and the complications that arise. To save time, I decided to give that one more shot! To find the exact cause in about 200 files would take more time than presently am willing to spend! Still, as not to loose all the work I have done, there are plenty of copies from all stages of work! You must always have a way to backtrack or you loose your entire work! For me it is about 3 weeks of work. This OS has gone from hanging on boot and issues here and there switching from desktops to fast booting and quick switching! This is something that needs to stay! So the previous build/ISO is intact and now, I also have this new one am about to try with the staging parts.

Well, talk about another waste of time! Even with the new staging parts, seems the same problem exists. I have not checked thoroughly but will do so soon. Preliminary exam shows system booting into Gnome and once I open Gnome-Tweak-Tool, I still see the second switch is in the ON position which should not be. That function is called alternative-status, or something on that order, but is the second switch on Tweak. Since I have seen this ever since the first remake of this OS, I know how it reacts! So far, I have looked high and low for a solution to fix it but seems there is no way to fix it! Not at all sure what would cause this, but must not be related to Gnome if those parts have been replaced! This is something that goes beyond my knowledge so far!

For now am off to put in umpteen applications, one of these days someone is going to get tired of seeing my application and plain out and out hire me! Would be great as all this building OS's has my Ole lady wanting to scalp me! I can not say I blame her as $300 is a tough amount to come by with me unemployed! So, I highly suggest to not build if you are on 3G service. Number one, download speed is not fast enough. Number 2, they nail you big time on cost! All you cable users build as much as you can and learn!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:45 am

Am back and finally this time with useful information! For those following this post, you will remember that I have been writing about taking care of what might seem a trivial problem to some, but important to me and possibly others. Now, the problem was min, max and close were located on the left hand side in the order of close, min, max. Where the issue resided was in usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/10_ubuntu-settings.gschema.overide. On line 38 button-layout was listed as such: button-layout='close,minimize,maximize:' Now to correct this issue is very simple. To be on the right side the important part is ":" since that is the modifier that explains where the position will be. Since it was listed at the end it puts everything to the left. If it is listed first will put everything to the right. So to go back to what I have gotten so used to seeing is simply to change to: button-layout=':minimize,maximize,close'.

Now how this change happened could only be on the count of an update to this system as previously when the system was first built this was not an issue! Now deduction of this problem came when I found the Cinnamon desktop having the proper order while all those that were spawns of Gnome's Flashback were not correct. The reason this happened is, I built on the first release image of 13.04 with the Ubuntu-Gnome desktop so things got crossed when I decided I wanted the full Gnome Environment, plus the other desktops.

Now for us builders that want to have our own pictures, fonts and settings schemas is a treasure!!!! Last night when I found all these files in there, I jumped for joy! Hey, I do not want to see ugly looks while the system is loading! I also do not want to spend 2 or more hours getting all the settings I need back in! So, basically I have been through about 70% of the files putting all my settings in. Sure takes time, but when is all done, next time I reload everything is there and ready to go! Basically, all I will have to do is move folders from the other hard drive to the drive where the system will be installed, nice right? Basically, the original system as have said had issues! So, now the major and even minor issues are practically all solved creating an OS that can be depended upon!

So, remember do not do something like installing spamassassin when you do not have your own web server! This was an amatuer mistake I made in learning all of this. Now if those settings are not properly done for spamassassin it is going to be looking for them occasionally producing a hang or halt when changing desktops and immediately notifying libmenu-cache2! So this is important stuff for us builders! Now as I did not finish all the settings for the new image, I do not have anything to report as far as Gnome-Tweak's second switch being open or ON. As soon as I have the image adjusted with all settings I want and need, I will build it and run it through vbox to see the results! More to come as I learn and time permits! Just hope this helps those that may have had an issue as such or those wanting to take care of settings in the OS's they are building!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:32 am

Yesterday, I talked about schemas being a treasure and is absolutely true on most, but one and that seems to be gnome icons. Gnome seems to be a real stickler for keeping their ugly icons on the desktop. To refresh your memories, the folder is located in usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas. Inside that folder everything or just about everything can be changed for the default desktop. Now this comes in handy for things like screensaver locks! I am not 007, have umpteen teenagers, or have anything to hide, so personally, Why would I want the screensaver to lock my screen and ask for my password??? Not going to happen over here! The idea of the screen going black makes me think the computer has shut off! So, I do not want that. I want those crazy little screensavers coming up as you know they can sure put a grin on my face! All the time xscreensaver is just an awesome thing to have. Another great point learned from Ultimate!

Now for Gnome, is pretty much of a pushover to lead that desktop to xscreensaver, but for Cinnamon, we have to guide that horse to water. Of course that is when you want things preset before the system is installed! To start off with we go in schemas and find file org.cinnamon.desktop.screensaver.gschema.xml use our fav editor like gedit or Geany and change line 30's true to false! The other day tipped me as glanced to something else while on the laptop to the pc and that thing locked! Not that is hard to type, but I just do not want that lock happening as have other things to do! Next and not 100% sure if this is the correct way to do things is to usr/bin and rename cinnamon.screensaver to cinnamon.screensaver.old. This is a precaution in case something goes wrong. I can assure you I tested this on my system and it does work. Next we stay in that bin and copy/paste xscreensaver, taking that copy and renaming it to cinnamon.screensaver. So when the screensaver engages it is not black it is xscreensaver! Tried and tested on this build of mine and does work correctly!

Now getting back to schemas! Remember as I just blew this fact, to do a final check especially if you have just updated! This happened this morning as I updated the image and wouldn't you know Ubuntu has shoved that close,min,max back in! So back to it to fix it up! I sure wish they would give that update a rest and condemn it! Next time, you better believe I will not take it! I did a load on vbox just to try and resolve the issue of those icons only to find that crap setting again! I have a suspicion and now have to test to see if I am correct after I finish the changes. I propose the possibility I am not seeing the icons I want to see is because of live tools. Now I could be wrong, remember no pro! Still have to narrow it down. I mean with over 4000 files to deal with, have to do different things to narrow the search to dwindle it down or it could take months to find!!!! Will be back for more advice and tips when time permits. Just hoping this will help all builders in their pursuit of learning and devising their own Linux systems.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Previous

Return to Rants and Raves