Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Gnome Fallback now Flashback?

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Gnome Fallback now Flashback?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 pm

I think my head is going to fall off! I mean as much as I love Gnome, somethings just are a pain in the you know what! Me with these multiple desktops any little change seems to effect how the others function! So now with the updates, I saw this new addition of Gnome Flashback. I thought "Wow another desktop to go along with fallback!" Nope to my disappointment was just a name change to fallback. I guess those guys were feeling Nostalgic or something??? So now what does it do to all the other elements that are counting on some of those files???? Will bet there is going to be some fallout or fallback for me and others in this situation!!!! Of course for all those lovers of the gnome screensaver it gets updated so you can enjoy your screen going black and have to type your password in!!!! Sorry, I disable that crap thing! Is terrible for developers to force something on us we do not like! If my computer is going to be in la la land for a bit least can have a decent screensaver like xscreensaver. The other way just tells people your graphics suck, of course that is my opinion!!!! So far on laptop XFCE has bit the dust! Is kind of a fragile desktop as we all know, but still will have to figure what happened. Mo time, Mo time!!!! Am starting to regret that I did not wait til a more finished Ubuntu as 13.10 will probably be!!! This package management stuff is still driving me batty also! Remember those out there, leave the package management to python and synaptic, more experience there! With Gnome is better to wait til Gnome5.0 or something like that, am sure by then will work and play right with everything else!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Gnome Fallback now Flashback?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:17 pm

For anyone that winds up with trouble with the xfce desktop here is a nice little tid bit found on an arch-wiki site: rm -r ~/.cache/sessions/ Enter that in terminal from either broken down xfce desktop or another. Logout or reboot, log back into xfce give it a minute or two and should be back to normal! Most likely a lot of members know this already, but I did not know and thought others might not either. Still want to help and have to excuse when I get a little upset with things! Even though I have the label of U.E Professor, I am no genius. In fact with most members here, I probably have the least amount of time on Linux! Another cool tid bit and this is something I did myself is to uncomment out OnlyShowIn=XFCE; in /etc/xdg/autostart/xscreensaver by adding the # in front so it looks like this #OnlyShowIn=XFCE; Remember to go into settings under your name on the taskbar and click on Brightness & Lock and turn the lock off and change "Turn screen off when inactive for:" to never! With it commented out xscreensaver will show in all desktops and is much better than that lock and password stuff, unless you like continually adding your password after walking away for a moment or two!!! Over here have nothing to hide as is all learning and discovery, just to get better at all this so!!!! Not sure exactly why the Gnome change of Fallback to "Flashback" upset the xfce desktop, but never the less it did! Thanks to arch-wiki is back to normal! All other desktops were unaffected by the name and session changes. Not overly excited on the name change as I think back to the days when the word "flashback" was a word the drug culture used quite often! I would be more excited if Gnome would have added another desktop with a similarity to previous versions.

Now for those that are on a similar journey having downloaded 13.04 and moving up to the Gnome 3.8 desktop as I did. Some of the changes that happen to the Ubuntu Desktop upon installation might require 2 apt-get build-dep. Use apt-get build-dep compiz, apt-get build-dep unity and should clear up most of the hassles within the Ubuntu Desktop. If you have to reset the Desktop(no taskbar) use dconf reset -f /org/compiz/ in terminal but you will then have to redo your compiz settings in Ubuntu(Unity)Desktop as well as Gnome Desktops. XFCE and LXDE usually are not affected by this. Another problem have noticed on the Gnome desktop are hassles with the applets! You may get error messages about applets not wanting to work such as nm-applet. Once again best suggestion apt-get build-dep gnome-applets. Will dump those error messages. If Gnome Panel is sluggish suggest the same apt-get build-dep gnome-panel. Will once again add my suggestion of following the error message and finding the correct package to build the dependencies for. Generally adding the words listed in the error message in making a reference to search for source package on Google will find the proper package to build dependencies for. Just hope this all helps anyone on the same level of thinking as I am! Most experienced users can disregard this as is for the more inexperienced as myself!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby tanmay.01 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:34 am

It has been updated to 3.8

Source

Gnome Flashback is a session for Gnome 3 which was initially called "Gnome Fallback", and shipped as a stand-alone session in Debian and Ubuntu.

It provides a similar user experience to the Gnome 2.x series sessions.

It consists of the following components:
GnomePanel
Metacity
GnomeApplets

The first release was on 2013-09-25, included in gnome-panel 3.8.0.

This is the first release that ships a session descriptor and wrapper script for the "Gnome Flashback" session. This is similar to the standalone fallback session previously shipped in Debian / Ubuntu. As integration with the rest of the Gnome stack has suffered somewhat, this is mainly aimed at distributions that still want to support a metacity / gnome-panel based desktop (e.g. for LTSP installations). Some integration work may be necessary - for example, nautilus 3.8 no longer draws the desktop background icons.

gnome-flashback.png

It also supports compiz as there is a flashback-compiz session too. (i haven't checked it though)

Install it in ubuntu 13.10

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-flashback

in order to make it work now , install the dummy package

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
HP ENVY 15
•3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
• 1GB Radeon(TheeMahn) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI]
• 6GB 1600DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
• Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R)
• Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard.

tanmay.01

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby tanmay.01 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 am

Ok ... Update....

Compiz is working........
(But since we know ubuntu is maintaining it... the features have been narrowed.)

Some indicators dont show up. Hence i added the application launchers as you can see. (This has been fixed in 3.8 which is still to be uploaded to the saucy repo)
Attachments
flashback-compiz.png
HP ENVY 15
•3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TheeMahn) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
• 1GB Radeon(TheeMahn) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI]
• 6GB 1600DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 750GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
• Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R)
• Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard.

tanmay.01

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:12 am

Yes quite narrowed! Every time I go to use the fire effect I just get water! I guess Ubuntu just wants to put the fire out, right? Had to kid about it but am deadly serious that fire effect/flames are just not happening. Have been hoping some time things will get straightened out as do miss some of the effects! Am glad you are more on top of it than I am. Going to have to get more engrossed into compiz real soon as I always enjoy the effects! Got spoiled on Ultimate as all the effects always worked perfectly and so accurately! Still have to learn all that on my own to get good at all this! So any more insight always greatly appreciated!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves