Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ubuntu Builder the Distro saver!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Ubuntu Builder the Distro saver!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 am

Yes am still at fixing this 13.04 I built. Seems things just did not go in properly the first time! Have found that current system am using my own is kind of a bandaged and wounded animal! Synaptic does what it wants, Ubuntu desktop is in ruins and of course gedit is still wishy-washy! I have found however, the fixes applied to the image inside Ubuntu-Builder have been successful! When I rebuilt the image, burned to disk since unetbootin , live-usb-install and start up disk creator do not function anymore on this current one am using, I gave the rebuilt a shot on the laptop. Installs perfectly and am left with only one error thus far in libmenu-cache that does not seem to be a major issue at all. So the point of this is to show that if one gets a ubuntu distribution that has problems, it can be fixed through using great tools as Ubuntu-Builder and back to the ole "apt-get build-dep". Of course this advice generally does not pertain to Ultimate as is built by the best developer out here!!! This generally goes for us builder wanna be's as myself or if you enjoy other distros that are not quite on the money!!! Although, I do not have my repaired system built to perfection, it is much closer than the current! Least the great thing about remaking the image is errors do not get re-installed! So what I am trying to say is, do not be dismayed if you built one of these OS's that it can not be fixed! There are ways, just takes time!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Ubuntu Builder the Distro saver!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:28 pm

Big waste of time with all this as Ubuntu Builder neglected to keep all the updates???? How????? Never seen it before, but has happened and am short about a months worth of updates????? Is even possible the ones held back will lead me right back to square one where it was going to uninstall the whole system for 13 or 17 updates? I can't remember the exact amount. I really thought I was getting somewhere with all this, but the fact is seems I am not and going to be in hot water for all this downloading!!! I now know how Linux makes so much money! Is from all us users on Verizon or others that charge extra when you go over your limit!!!! Am flabbergasted and very upset at all this! I think I have good reason to be! I mean think about, I go through hours and hours of work reading and finding the areas of problems and the cures. Do the updates, remake the image and burn! Burn it did as damn did I get burned from head to toe on this one!!!! Word to the wise, if your distro does not work right, junk it and get another! Repair is for suckers and I am apparently the largest one out here!!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ryanvade » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby pam » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:52 am

Ubuntu builder wont cut it. Eventually you will have to do it manually-chrooting and adding packages manually...that's the way most do it.

Write down what core packages you want first..KDE, gnome-shell etc do not qualify.
Try doing an openbox build with utilities. Keep it simple and light...

Most tiling window managers like twm, awesome, xmonad are in kilobytes so you wont download anything more than the needed...next openbox follows with a few MB's.

The biggest apps would be libreoffice/abiword, xbmc, the kernel followed by firefox/opera and vlc,make and gcc for installing drivers. There you have it.

Im able to use my $2 monthly 2G connection with 2GB with a sustained rate of 20 kb/s...which is enough to download core programs and even tiling window managers in seconds. Which is also excellent for hunting and downloading docs although pdf's are hefty. I recommend Openbox as others use keyboard for navigation.

Also note the network speed fluctuates and is sloppy in ubuntu. Debian is static.

For compositing use xcompmgr instead of compiz.
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Pam and Ryanvade as is always awesome to get another take with fresh ideas and stop dwelling on disgust!!!! Guess I am just making some poor judgement calls. Actually is all in an effort to learn a lot but yes gets very and I mean very frustrating! Apparently, whatever the laptop had put together for me was part of what I put in it! Am talking about the original build. I spent hours writing things down to assemble into it and had it planned pretty good! The original assembly should have functioned pretty close to done, not 10 miles away from it!!! Of course you never find out a system is trashed until have run it a few days!!! I found out within a few days was a disaster, but after a month found out was virtually useless after an update of 17 files wanted to install and uninstall 50% of the OS!!! So since I did not want to download 4 gigs again, figured could cure it and in the act of doing that learn some things. Well, learn I did!!! Also more confusion has been added. At this point am not exactly sure what has happened! I had updated everything while in Ubuntu-Builder along with doing the dependencies. Now did Ubuntu Builder put the updates on the sideline??? Am beginning to think so! I am seeing an improvement from the original build. Number one Synaptic opens and stays open thus far. Ubuntu Desktop is not scrambled up, boot time/logout decrease, unetbootin functions again! Many things and most are what I had worked on the dependencies with! I might even be some drawback of how 13.04 installs? See have noticed I can not pull the old trick of putting themes into the themes folder, building the image and presto is there! Nope was not there on this one! Either that or is a side effect from how terrible the entire OS was running???? Seeing as both of you have much more experience with all this than I do, maybe can shed some light on this??? Or am I walking a path that borders on the line of insanity? As I say am not totally disappointed on all this as some learning has come out of it! Also, I am going to head into the right direction as far as programs from Linux. Linux is gorgeous on the outside, but on the inside needs some tinkering to get it right! We need tools to help users repair corrupted builds and file structures. Will let others do the beauty work, I will as have always done dive into the grimy greasy jobs!!!! Someone has to do it, right???
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pam » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:08 am

Must also realize, linux has become extremely fragmented, so the problems you face might be less or more than
someone else who is a linux veteran.

You do know, you can build your own ubuntu repository--being only limited by the capacity of your disk drive. So the next time you pull in the .debs etc from your own local(the external or internal drive or DVD-rom) or network disk. You do NOT need to worry about new packages because if an older package works and a newly downloaded does not, you know what is wrong and no need to start over. Just Purge and Pull from local disk. :likecoolman

http://www.unixmen.com/create-a-local-r ... 04-server/ ---dont worry about the term 'server'.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/170348/h ... repository
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... 83&bih=409

Try avoiding thought-torquing. Keep things simple and write down the problems with pen-paper to keep the objective and problems in sight. The thing is if you write it and sleep over it, the stress disappears and the vision becomes an image... :roll: :lol:
<BREW>
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 am

Yes very wise Pam! I do write things down on paper and in gedit! Can not describe how much I appreciate the links and advice, all adds to get better at all this!!! Also is showing me, I have to take the "Horse Blinders" off! I tend to look directly at what is in front of me! Is a terrible idea in this business to do that! Have to be prepared and look at the whole picture! Of course, once again have learned quite a bit off this whole ordeal! Here is a huge one for users out there: If you have a long list of updates to do, the best thing is use Terminal with "apt-get". If you use Synaptic and try to install a piece at a time, generally leads to disaster. I am proof of that! I played the second part and have been paying the price for about a month! Large consequences come from using Synaptic for too large of a job! Is back to the same song have been singing for weeks now, that is so important to everyone that uses Linux: """DEPENDENCIES"""" For assembling your own Ubuntu, be sure to also avoid Synaptic for Larger programs. If it is dependencies or small programs works fine so have to be careful!!! Another thing I did was the ole "Assume" and we all know what that means, so do not have to explain that! Will explain what transpired: Package flaw in synaptic caused improper assembly of programs inside the distribution and outside since original system was affected by this improper assembly! Actually my mistake has some hilarity to it and can also be learned by others as what not to do! When that long list appears in the terminal with 564 mbs to install, do not panic!!!! by all means type Y and let it happen! Go get a beer, soda popcorn or groceries just leave it do its job!!!! Now in my case, wouldn't you know what was in the update???? If you guessed Synaptic, you get an "A" for absolutely correct! Yes, I was totally nuts did not pay attention updated Synaptic thru synaptic. Not a good plan at all!!!!!. The improper update and assembly of that program caused failure inside Ubuntu-builder and outside in the affected system!!! This second time around noticed it in the list as ironically when the image was assembled it was before the installation of synaptic! Has taken a few hours to trace down, but least know where it started and have some decent advice for others!!!! Add the great advice you have given me Pam and I would say am a real great winner on this one!!!!! Thanks very very much as always appreciate your wisdom!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:02 pm

If you want..you could list here, the programs you want in your Distro, and the dependencies required

I am not particular about Rants & Raves section, I believe it is a good place for members to flex and learn their posting skills. Maybe someone who is knowledgable with this, may spot what is going wrong.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I pretty much laid it all out what went wrong, why and how not to make the same mistake! Figured this may help others on the same level as myself. See as I keep explaining, sure I have a degree, but when it comes to Linux I have but a little over 1 year of experience total. Is not much compared to most users as yourself Xan!!! Am sure you probably have(just guessing) about 5 years experience?? Then you may say "What is a good thing about ranting all the time????" Here's the aspect: Now some of us when we get confused on our Linux systems we head to Google and do a search. Those that do searching come up with relevant information off posts we make here! So that in turn helps someone out! Now this is what I am about!!! Whatever I pick up, I want to share! I do not read posts and sit back laughing saying I know how to help, but let them figure on their own!!!! Could not live like that and will never! Is more fun what I do!! Get the info out there and help! Of course there are times I read something on here and have no clue! Then one of you brilliant and awesome mods on here come up with the answer! And that my friend is why I love it here so much!!!! Is awesome to be surrounded by sheer brilliance on here and still want to thank everyone here for sharing!!!!! Of course the most relevant information pertaining to building Ubuntu's still belongs to TheeMahn!!! Am positive there are thousands of people that would love to shake his hand for all his help and awesome brilliance he unselfishly donates to Linux!!!! I know I would!!!!! Of course compared to his massive brilliance and education, I am zip! Has to be a good 15 or more years dedicated to computer sciences!!!(Masters Degree at least!) So for those that are lower level as myself am just hoping I am explaining decently as to help!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:04 pm

http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/201 ... 62057.html

Wow!

"Xfce

The Xfce version of LinuxMint is based on the "lightweight" version window manager, Xfce. The usable components nonetheless still weigh in at 830+GB at the "normal" download payload. The window manager in Xfce is small; it's the other applications in the payload that bulk up the distribution. Xfce, despite its comparative small size, is visually appealing, if bereft of the quantity of applications based on the resident window manager in the KDE and Gnome-Cinnamon versions."

Well,see...there's your problem :shock:

You must have XFCE in there!! <BREW>
:lol:

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Next

Return to Rants and Raves