Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

13.04 Might be fun!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Re: 13.04 Might be fun!

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 pm

To clarify window management that I'm doing...

Gnome 3/Gnome Fallback/Classic(No Effects) are automatically assigned to "metacity"

Gnome Fallback/Classic is automatically assigned to "compiz"

XFCE4 is automatically assigned to "xfwm"

To change XFCE4 I am changing the configuration in

/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml

from "xfwm4" to "compiz" as you can see on line 12.

geany.png

You can also always add the compiz --replace command to startup but you are kind of asking for trouble since at startup you are telling your desktop to load one and then the other. Not ideal. It's really more for...oops, or..it broke.

All right..Gnome 3 still works, Gnome Classic works, XFCE works, on to LXDE.... :twisted:

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Back to Window management..same deal...

LXDE is automatically assigned "openbox"

lxdean.png

Now we navigate to

/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf

Line 2 and change "openbox" to "compiz"

lxde.png

Ok, I am back at Gnome 3..still working, Gnome Classic, XFCE, LXDE..

Again..don't know Razor, so no matter what, I could not really tell you what it is supposed to do. I have however, used KDE once or twice. I hear 4.10.3 is out.....

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 pm

4.10.2...lol..idk..doesn't matter

kded.png

I had to throw together at least one wallpaper :lol:
Now I just have to check the other environments.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Gnome Classic's Compiz reset. It does that. Compiz can be replaced with kwin in both lxde and xfce, that might help. Permissions didn't work out in KDE as usual, reassigned..but all in all it works.

skullninja1.png

kwin

kdecomp.png

For the KDE w/Compiz fans

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 am

Told you that you were better at this than me and that simply proves my point!!! Am really appreciating all the feedback from you Xan as need to know how to do all this!!! Is a disaster area on mine right now in Gnome. Currently, I checked for missing parts as this is the first time used a laptop to assemble the OS. I think as have said that when I installed everything, it just did not hold together! At times apt-get autoremove is not your friend! I believe in the process of building and issuing that command here and there I devastated a great percentage of the system! Now all the pieces seem to be here but there is a collision between python package management and Gnome package management. Not sure if I got any of that cleared up. Actually do not think so as I can not remove 2 gnome games! Another mistake was, I issued the same command I used on 12.10 apt-get install gnome-core. Upon reading further have discovered that is no longer proper for 3.8, is now apt-get install gnome. So I think I really blew it, but will try some repairs and see where I get! Am I to understand you have compiz effects on Gnome Classic??? From what you are writing sounds like it! Really appreciate all you have written as it will help me get this project done eventually!!! As have said is no major rush as the other OS is running correctly. If I need it on the laptop can easily pull this hard drive (Seagate) and put the Hitachi back in. Still have no way to upload pics from the laptop so yes there is major issues with this system am running. Am happy you have explored it so I know is on my side and not the OS itself!!!! Can not thank you enough on that and for giving me some places to look for the errors!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Just found one problem as other users are having the same issue!!! If you change Gtk+Theme to anything besides Adwaita(default) or HighContrast you can kiss your wallpaper goodbye!!!! Try it, is like magic! Now you have wallpaper, now you don't!!!! Here's the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/287571/d ... wallpapers Has no issue on Current Theme or Shell theme! Leave it Gnome, if they can not get something wrong what would they be????? I know KDE!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Just found one problem as other users are having the same issue!!! If you change Gtk+Theme to anything besides Adwaita(default) or HighContrast you can kiss your wallpaper goodbye!!!! Try it, is like magic! Now you have wallpaper, now you don't!!!! Here's the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/287571/d ... wallpapers Has no issue on Current Theme or Shell theme! Leave it Gnome, if they can not get something wrong what would they be????? I know KDE!

That's not the problem. The problem is they had a Unity Base and upgraded Gnome 3.6 to 3.8. That is just a workaround. I never lost a wallpaper, and my gtk theme was a 3.8....

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/XGnome+Enhanced+GS+3.4%2B3.6%2B3.8?content=155167

gnome-look.org is your friend

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm

Tried settings as you said and XFCE is working with compiz but LXDE so far is not. Probably another line and will find! Have the XFCE set up just like I have enjoyed Gnome for these past months before this 3.8! Is weird was so looking forward to it, but now is just a thorn in my side! It is really farted up on here! I have a feeling all tho se different versions put together just are not mixing! When I go through synaptic I see all kinds of numbers that are not 3.8! So it leaves me to believe I have defective parts. Is like a Johnny Cash song. I have a 3.8 Gnome 3.6,3.4,3.2 ver---sions! Now another thing on this XFCE, I right click on the desktop and presto, all my tools are there! You know, I need that since am always copying text places I go when it comes to commands!!!! I will never remember every single one out there!!! With Gnome I have hardly any choice, which baffles me since I have the same setup on the 12.10 and right click there and everything is there! So for now am calling this XFCE mynewGnome! Here's a pic from a beautiful and simple desktop. I love these colors and have been quite fond of them since I started using Ultimate Edition 3.4! Is New Gnome cause everything works here!!!!
NewGnome4ME.png
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri May 17, 2013 3:21 pm

My biggest complaint at the moment..is this...
grrr.png

Those files with the symbols were made by Transmission using Gnome 3.8. I set my preferences up too late, but still, this isn't what generally happens, the files just move home somewhere, this is something else. Deleting started creating more, and not all file transfers ended up like this. I was able to pull a couple out of the mess, that went where they were supposed to, but I have a few that are stuck in this. Now I can run the file through Transmission, but I can not get to the files stuck in this themselves. I didn't even want to use Transmission, but 3.8 would not load Vuze, just like it would not load Ubuntu Software Center. Personally, I don't care about the center, I just wanted the file name for a dock to use, but this file mess is a problem. I could have been hit with something else viral related, but I am pretty sure the fault lies somewhere with Gnome and Transmission. Either way, "pretty sure" does not cover positivity and the system has to go.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Tried settings as you said and XFCE is working with compiz but LXDE so far is not. Probably another line and will find! Have the XFCE set up just like I have enjoyed Gnome for these past months before this 3.8! Is weird was so looking forward to it, but now is just a thorn in my side! It is really farted up on here! I have a feeling all tho se different versions put together just are not mixing! When I go through synaptic I see all kinds of numbers that are not 3.8! So it leaves me to believe I have defective parts. Is like a Johnny Cash song. I have a 3.8 Gnome 3.6,3.4,3.2 ver---sions! Now another thing on this XFCE, I right click on the desktop and presto, all my tools are there! You know, I need that since am always copying text places I go when it comes to commands!!!! I will never remember every single one out there!!! With Gnome I have hardly any choice, which baffles me since I have the same setup on the 12.10 and right click there and everything is there! So for now am calling this XFCE mynewGnome! Here's a pic from a beautiful and simple desktop. I love these colors and have been quite fond of them since I started using Ultimate Edition 3.4! Is New Gnome cause everything works here!!!!
NewGnome4ME.png

There ain't no "another" line in LXDE

You have to be in a root editor, and it has to replace openbox.

The other option is to add "compiz --replace" to startup.

All of the versions will have programs that have older identifiers, most of Gnome 3.8 will naturally be comprised of lower version numbers. The ones that are current are usually the ones I try to use.

XFCE is an excellent desktop, but versions below 4.10 can be very hard to look at.

Very nice looking desktop <BREW>

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

PreviousNext

Return to Rants and Raves