Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Asus 503u meets Ubuntu 12.10!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Asus 503u meets Ubuntu 12.10!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 am

!!!Warning, may offend Windows users!!! Okay, so I am a student at College, final semester, month left. Pell Grant came in and figured best to also have a new laptop. Am a royal sucker for Asus! I absolutely love their equipment and stand by it!!! I wanted a nice laptop for a reasonable price! Asus fits that bill! Anyway of course you know what OS was on there! Windows 8, for those not guessing to well!!!! Am sorry, I need a laptop that can get things done just as my desktop does and quite well will add! Sure I am in the IT field and have to deal with Windows on a daily basis, but when it comes to my own equipment is a different story! Anyway before I put someone to sleep here! At first I tried to be objective and work out a dual boot! I was very careful cautious and took time. End result, did not want to cooperate with having a dual boot between my Ubuntu and Windows 8! Was not an easy ticket USB wise to load either! As have posted before, I am not going to burn umpteen disks! Unetbootin is my friend! Number one with these laptops, ironically since USB 3 is there, you have to change things in the bios to get a flash drive with Unetbootin w/yourOS to boot! MMM, this Windows 8 boot manager to me seems like some kind of Gustapo! "You vil have our system or else!" For the timid and scared this situation can send you hiding under the bed or cowering to Microsoft til death do you part!!!! Nope sorry, not happening on this side! Had 6 partitions now is down to 3! No more Windows except under Vbox(perfectly caged!). Fully loaded with my 12.10 ubuntu(similar to Ultimate!)! How does it boot? How does it run????
Faster than the previous owner!!! Exceptionally well! Feel bad for it now as is tasked with a terrible job! My ole Zune! Zune = Great Great sound, everything else dud! This thing has never been 100%, always crazy things with it! Could write a book on it! Anyway is not registering well with computers of any kind anymore! Is getting replaced with an IPOD and has 92gigs of great music on it! Is now loading onto Win7 in vbox via laptop! Is a nightmare as is taking forever since it does not like computers anymore! So yes I feel bad for an nice laptop w/nice OS to be in that predicament! Had no success with any program in Ubuntu to transfer music from it. Sure can be read, but that was all! Not blaming Ubuntu as this Zune has never been right! Crashes at will, runs out of power at will you name it! Was to the shop several times and never runs as it should. Still does sound great when is going! Have heard IPOD does not sound as good but is real close! Of course will take the dependability or the sound! Same goes for OS's. Am sorry, I am no dancer and can not stand on my head and spin around!!! So I guess Win8 is just not for me! Maybe am getting old, but I just feel more of a need to get things done than just fool around on the internet and play games! Guess that is why Ubuntu suits me so well!!! Still wish Windows would go back to development instead of promotion! Am sick of their commercials! And what exactly are they promoting?????? Sure wish I knew cause seems like nothing to me!!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Asus 503u meets Ubuntu 12.10!

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Off-Topic :
I do not like Unetbootin.

There is a program called start up disc creator.

startup.png

This makes sense to me. I can figure out if something went wrong.

USB sticks in general are not my forte' though so maybe I am missing some factor that makes unetbootin awesome, but after all I heard about it, I assumed it was the go to for installing Linux. I disagree now that I have used it.

Why?

Well, there are other ways to install, like with an SD for example, startup can handle this, and it is not so concerned with providing me old useless distributions, something many Android virtuals try to push on you too, which just makes me think "silly windows users"

With SD there is another option that also works well called ubuntu image writer

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install usb-imagewriter

Code: Select all
imagewriter

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Should have got an old android. You can pick em up for like 20 bux. You can control the sound extremely well with a variety of software. Changing your music is extremely easy. You can just load cards and switch. Also, as I have mentioned before, you could get around your home internet limits by downloading off of wifi wherever wifi may be had. Go ahead, have some coffee at McDonalds, get some torrents, relax.

Congratulations on your new Laptop, I hope it works out well for you. I did the same thing yesterday, I picked up a Dell Mini 10 and never even bothered to see how XP was running on it, proceeded straight to partition erase...hence..why unetbootin, since it has a high fail rate and is not so good with boot partition.

I feel so bad for people with Zunes and Zune accounts. I am not down with XBox Live for that matter either. I have a few choice words for what Microsoft can do with their Zunes, Mobiles, and Gold accounts.(Really, ten more dollars to watch Netflix on internet I already pay for with Netflix I already pay for, on an XBox I already payed for..that's super swell guys!!)

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Great advice on the startup disk!!!!! Sorry did not post back earlier, lot of things going on!!! Also have to add a note to people that are planning on buying a laptop and switching the system from Windows to Linux. If you dump the entire system of Windows as I did, you can forget the warranty!!! Yes, I did!!! Had a unfortunate mishap between virtualbox and my zune. So much for the Hitachi hard drive that came with my Laptop. Tried to get it switched out today and store I bought it at told me: "Since you installed your own system and Windows is no longer on the hard drive, warranty is void!" Will never do business with them again! Of course, I am to blame also as I rushed things!!!! Now if I did not hurry up, I could have used clonezilla to clone Windows. Then I could have put it back on the hard drive and switched the laptop out, since I only just got it Thursday! No such luck and of course new hard drive cost me about $70. Of course cost them my business! I got my money back for the 3 year warranty and told them in some not so choice words, that they lost my business for good! Over the past 7 years that I lived here, I have spent around 4-5g's with them. I guess they feel my business is not good enough for them! Anyway, is not a sad ending as Laptop is back up with the new hard drive running great again! This one is compressing the Windows VBOX image so the laptop can also make use of it, while I am at at school! Of course is a drag that when you put Win7 in fullscreen on a laptop is real crappy looking and does not fit well at all! I guess MS just never saw the need to have a display for widescreens!!! When you see a laptop with a linux system, it is all in perfect proportions!!!! We know who really thinks about what is good for laptops! Yes, this time around I used the startup disk, Xan! Little easier especially since this bios is geared towards Windows!!!! I tried a Toshiba, but to me was too much on the "Toy" side! I need something that I can do my homework and other tasks! Of course will give up the hours on end as is a little too costly! With the connection I have to be downloading umpteen programs would not be a good choice. The limitation of 16 or 32 gigs also cuts back things can do. Should be good with all this and will have to fire it up at lunch let some heads spin when they see Linux running!!! Got to have some kind of fun, right? Celica is back running but muffed the timing belt one tooth!!!! Should have yanked the engine out or better yet had someone else do it! Am good at cars, but not a pro! Timing belts require better than good!!!! Take care and once again was great advice, had the program installed, but just got so used to unebootin forgot to use it!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Return to Rants and Raves