Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

An installation thought.

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

An installation thought.

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Often as I roam through forums looking to misinform myself I come across installation issues with "took too long" somewhere being described in the process. This amuses me greatly as there is nothing quite so quantum as Linux in that you can do a process with the same variables and achieve different results. I am also curious as to where the reference for installation time is being attained as I never see a timer counting down, although an estimate is indeed given sometimes. I have installed Windows countless times and I can't ever remember thinking to myself "Wow, that was quick!" afterwards, before I proceeded to download 248614 terabytes of security updates.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Re: An installation thought.

Postby ninjawarrior » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 pm

When it comes to installing Linux, I think Quantum mechanics applies quite appropriately! I also believe that windows users, are more apt to believe, that there is an Einstein ordered and structured way in the installation process. You know, put in the install disk, fill out some form data, sit and wait, then fill out some more data, then pull out the install disk and restart download updates.
Well I am no expert, but Linux is kind of like that- but the installation process doesn`t have to be.. you can make the installation process as easy or as long as you want to. Then there is updating the kernal, possibly updating the video drivers, or not to!!! For me Linux installation could be less than an hour, or I could spend as much as half the day updating! Then again, I could add on a whole week of time just customizing the desktop interface!
But when I compare my experiences windows to Linux, I have found I don`t mind one bit the chance I might create a personalized machine, out of pure chance! Only because when I learn something new from somebody else I can possibly add something new to my system. But don`t get me wrong, what might work for you, may or may not work for me. But what the heck!!
Dell Studio XPS 9100 Quad Multi Core
Intel Core I7 CPU @ 3.20GHz
12 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
2TB Western Digital HD, 500GB Western Digital HD (secondary drive)
NVIDA GeForce GTS 450

OS: Dual Boot- Windows 7 (64 bit) & Star Sapphire(64 bit)

Image** G-Man**
ninjawarrior

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 am

With Linux is about the first 5 to 10 minutes have to fill a few things out. Sidewinder(win) a little here a little there and waste the entire time "babysitting" it! Then after is all loaded(inc personal stuff) the following day you might boot up and before you get that welcome screen 10 to 20 minutes have elapsed from waiting for updates to install! This is another reason that swayed me from that beast! I live out in the country and at times need to get on and off quickly as chores await! Is a real drag when the time planned to spend with the computer was only 10 minutes and now turns to 1 hour, due to the ineptness of an OS! With Ultimate, due to the brilliance of it, updates come in as they come in. They are not saved until they bury you and waste your time! An average update with Ultimate is about 20megs. An average saved til burial with sidewinder is at least 200! Would be great if they took into consideration those of us with slower download speeds. Verizon wireless smokes, but we all know cable beats it! I have also been on Linux distributions with close to the same effect. 10 minutes after you're running, the little update manager comes up with a big surprise! Surprise! You have 1000 updates available!!!! Yeah am kidding but is close have been on a few where nothing happens for a few weeks then slam, 200 updates at 300-400megs! Very very grateful Ultimate has "a heart of Gold" by giving these updates here and there in increments! Can't beat that for anything!!!! Also during the update process in Linux it is still usable. Most times since sidewinder comes in before welcome screen, you are left "dead in the water" awaiting those updates to finish! Very rarely does Linux make you reboot after an update. On those rare instances is because of updating the kernel. Once again the system is still functional, not wasting time! Few years back with sidewinder(XP) we were privy to using an unnattended setup. Now that was alright! Setting up one of those disks didn't take much time at all! Sure was nice to just hit enter and walk away and let it do its thing! Since that time they abandoned the unnattended setups. Why? Beats me! The fastest Linux distribution I ever saw load was a Chinese distro called "YLMF 4". The entire system loaded in about 12 minutes and was quite functional! Unfortunately, the new kernel laid it to rest(R.I.P) Currently, they went in with STARTOS and load time is about 15mins. Of course is a bit behind since they don't want to venture to Gnome 3.Fastest OS to load period is Haiku, coming in around 7 minutes. Once again is only in the Alpha stage so is not an everyday system! Least with Linux all you have to do is put your name, location, username password and timezone. Not a big deal to fill in for 10 minutes. No long long serial number waiting to be entered after enduring the long install! Most times I get some chores done during an install such as Ultimate. I mean, you know Ultimate needs no "babysitter" and knows how to load! So yeah will just go do a few things and come back and is ready to roll! Just have to put drivers in and a few programs, good to go!!!! Love it!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Verizon Wirele$$ will eat your $oul. It is the ONLY cell provider in my area and to make it so it's not so expensive you have to hack your cell to death. No big deal but if you have a hardware problem you better know how to restore. There's a fun installation thought. Installing an Android system to factory conditions with a questionable battery.

Note to people who may try to do that. Don't. Go get another battery. Make sure it is charged.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Return to Rants and Raves