Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Cinnamon still toast!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Cinnamon still toast!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 am

Cinnamon is great on many things but seems for a desktop is a real hassle. I mean even when it does work right can be very annoying with window switching as have seen it just switch to a new window from a simple movement of the mouse! Yes disabling the corner dodad for window switching knocks off the headache but still remains as a so so desktop. One to show, with no go! Anyway to get to my point! With all the great desktops Ultimate 3.5 has am pretty much abandoning ship on looking at it! Am not an ace at this stuff, especially considering a simple misplacement of { in java can baffle me for close to an hour at times! Am just writing basic java stuff and Cinnamon is above that! Is like a first grader trying to read High School, Geometry! Still for anyone that might be interested in looking at it. Will post this error message that is still current as of today's updates:

(cinnamon:6382): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported
Window manager warning: Log level 8: gtk_style_context_add_provider: assertion `GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER (provider)' failed
Window manager warning: Log level 8: gtk_style_context_add_provider: assertion `GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER (provider)' failed
JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)
JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Thu Nov 15 2012 08:10:31 GMT-0600 (CST)
JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)

(cinnamon:6382): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported
JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active

At present Cinnamon can only be induced by the famous command "cinnamon --replace" at which time will come up and leave the above message in the terminal. Might be something not quite mentioned right somewhere in some obscure file! I looked at one file and had 900 lines in it! Is something that is easier found by those with much more experience! For me most times I only use Gnome. I also downloaded the LXDE desktop and as usual in Ultimate 3.5 it runs perfect! As I have always suspected and believe, whatever error is with Cinnamon is caused by the assembly of it! I know it has nothing to do with Ultimate, since it has so many problems!!!! Am sure with a little bit of work on LXDE of XFCE one can eventually obtain most of the looks of Cinnamon and have a desktop that actually functions properly! I might be a little old-fashioned in my likes as to me KDE gets to me a bit after a while. Not much on the side to side stuff! I mean the desktop looks beautiful and is severely responsive, but the side to side just is not so much fun for me! Still in closing will say with Ultimate at least people get to see and use the different Linux desktops available. Most other distributions only have one or two desktops! Another reason Ultimate is so great! As of present, I don't really consider Cinnamon worthy of being on Ultimate! Is also like a 1st grader entering High School!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Cinnamon still toast!

Postby Micro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 pm

MATE Desktop Environment, there's nothing better...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:07 pm

I am having more luck with opensuse cinnamon builds than Ubuntu. With Ubuntu it seems to work better if you go back a couple releases. It's still crazy. I literally had to switch monitors while loading, there seems to be a lot of issues with 3d video driver compatibility in general. I gave up with VB a while ago because of this. With 3.5 it would seem you basically need to start removing everything and then start over. But..then you do not really have a 3.5 Ultimate Edition! I also don't think my processor really does all that well with 64 in the first place and I might need better hardware to get it going.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Forgot to mention that one! Is a little on the plain side but then again the others I mentioned were too! Mate actually got forked in the right way! Cinnamon is nice looking, but then again had a few cars like it and alas nothing but trouble also! Seems to go like that for me, the prettier it is, the worse time I have! Only one that breaks that rule is Ultimate! Is pretty and have the best time, all the time! Am still relieved is the case, have to have something besides the ole lady that looks great!!!! Really thanks for bring it up, might just get a version of that going also! Least it worked great and was also easy to see! No strange ticks and behaviors! Yes will check that out! If available will get!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Here it is in action. The idea behind this was to incorporate Chromium OS I believe. Since I am delivering this via the Firefox I just installed that isn't working out to well but we shall see once I get everything updated and back on track.
Attachments
opensusechromenotreallycinnamon.png

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Micro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:40 pm

I miss the more simple freedoms from good ol gnome, not to mention stabililty and functionality. Like background and emblems for instance. I dislike the propriatary/mainstream looking menus like kde/mint/cinnamon. MATE is stable a less resource intensive, but it's all personal preference. At least we things to choose from. Feel bad for the controlled ones. But all in all I'd wait for Cinnamon to mature. Allot more cool things to do in your spare time...
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Postby pch.shot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:29 am

Like this you mean:
Attachments
2012-11-16 06_12_26-Greenshot.png
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Micro » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes. lol Although KDE Lite is not too bad. Aptosid does KDE Lite nicely, but it's stability is questionable...
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Postby pch.shot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:25 pm

KDE is the most Windows like.
I don't want to see any menu and the only icon on my wall is my recycle bin because I do all my work from there and when I'm done I store it somewhere else. The few programs I use are pinned in the start menu. I also auto hide the task bar. If you want to have a 100 icons and ram and cpu monitors on your desktop knock yourself out. It just confuses me. I can click on the start button to see them. I'm also anal about maintenance. Heck, I'm German .
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby pch.shot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Interesting first page here. That otta really make ppl want to join. The smiley face combined with the ominous warning is a nice touch. Oh how we digress! Me and Thee will be the only ones here soon.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God