Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Wine? What's the use?

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Wine? What's the use?

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Here I am on one of the most incredible distributions of Linux I have seen to date! The distribution ironically has the "Ultimate" name in it! You hear that word and it makes you think of Windows, right? Have to say Windows wishes it had this many utilities and programs! I have never ever seen this many utilities and programs assembled and working in such a highly functional manner! Amazes me how it can even run! Yet it handles like an "Old Cadillac". You know those cars that ran down the road and couldn't even feel the road! Is unreal! Wine, am sorry I tried it on so many distributions of LInux and it just seems like my first car, a real wreck. Worked on it constantly, to no avail! To the point as not to bore you anymore! The programs on this distribution "Ultimate Edition 3.4" are ones that easily replace and out does their Windows counterparts! So I say, "What's the use of Wine", when these great programs are here? Some might rebuke me and say "But I want to play my 3D games!" Guess what? Check Sourceforge and will bet they have great games that are either the same or better! I couldn't dream of messing with Wine in here as it just tends to mess systems up! No thanks, have plenty of awesome programs on this! Personally, would have taken me months of searches on "Google" to get them! Now here they are, no searching required!!!! God Bless you for knowing what a lot of us Linux users are really looking for! Am totally looking forward to understanding some of the developer tools! Would have cost me thousands of dollars to learn some of this stuff the Windows way!

In closing, yes I do have to operate Window7, but is only for College! So, I have that beast restrained in Virtualbox, where it belongs! I only use it for programs I am forced to use by my educators. I don't hate WIndows, but just am tired of hearing it praised when there are so many OS's out there that run just as well if not better!
Of course, will have to say this Ultimate far exceeds its Windows counterpart! Still as developers learn new tactics on solving serious problems, they should be hailed for their success! As I have seen Windows for over 10 years, I really can say that Linux changes much more drastically and for the better versus Windows small improvements! So hats off to the developers of Ultimate Edition 3.4 you should be real proud of yourselves and hope you get the credit you deserve! Thank very much!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Wine? What's the use?

Postby Moebius » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi BBOSAK2143,
Thanks for your feedback.
Wine does have it's uses as does every application - whether you use it or not is totally up to you.
Some people have a need to run some Windows aplications and Wine can be useful for them but in some instances you have to be prepared to 'muck around' with it in order to have it work flawlessly.
I use it to run Trackmania Nations and love it, but thats just me.
Anyway, great to hear you're enjoying Ultimate Edition.

Cheers. :D
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Pierre » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:54 am

Now that win_xp is - like twelve years old, and will be thirteen before it's SP3 reaches that EoL,
so there is a seriously_humongous amount of stuff out there, that runs on it. 8-)

But - just how much of that will run with win_7 ??.
- only a small portion of that - I suspect. :(

Then - just how much of that - smaller amount - will run with win_8 ????

I've just spend some time, getting a youngster to use Mint 11 - he does like it -
But:- there is a whole string of games - that he wans,t to run - & can,t.

& his friends won't to show him something on Minecraft - & he can't follow them on his Mint11 PC.

The thing is:- all of this stuff is bieng run under win_xp !!.
- they don't all use win_7 - yet :shock:

if they did - just how much of that stuff - would they really be able to get to "run"?.
& as I say to them:- win_8 - is still pretty much a large_unknown_area.

Then I point out to their parents:- that is is all "about the sales department".

-> it doesn't won't you to "sit" on old software - like win_xp . . . ..
-> you,ve gotta have the 'latest'.

Then there's the issue of M$o 2010:-
- gotta 'upgrade' to that one - two :?

-> it's just a never_ending path of Continuous_Upgrades. = the sales_department = loves that idea!.

I've known this for years - that's why I went 'sideways' - to the world of Linux.
But:- these people - who "only have known XP" - still have_not got that idea - that it's *not* what the sales_department - won't s.

--> so:- just watch this space - things are going to get even sillier - && your hip_pocket_nerve - won't like it. :roll:

/EndRant
Pierre
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Postby onosendai58 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 am

Everything that runs on XP runs on 7. Also, you can opt out of "continuous upgrades" or even updates. Most upgrades/updates are for Internet Explorer which I never use anyway. There's no reason to automatically hate Windows to use Linux. Plus, by dual-booting Windows you don't have to concern yourself with WINE, and yes, 7 is much better at playing games than XP, more horsepower and better graphics.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Pierre » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 am

Everything that runs on XP runs on 7.

Nope:- *not* true :shock:

- a lot of 'stuff' will only work in "XP mode" ( & not just games )
- unless you have bought a later version of that software - designed for win_7.
Pierre
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.0

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Have to take back what I said about sourceforge having games that will run on Linux! Doesn't seem to be the case with the few I have tried. As I have never, and I mean never. out of at least 10 Linux systems I have tried been able to get a game or application that runs in WIndows to work properly! Most games refuse to run. They will install and then zipidy do dah! I had a few applications that worked maybe 5 times then died and never came back. Those 2 were DVDFab and PowerISO. Of course Poweriso will not mount an image anyway, so is only half the use for me! AcetoneISO although it does not come with Ultimate was easily downloaded and in my estimation performs better than PowerISO ever did with its mounting capabality. With all the rippers that come stock in Ultimate am sure if need be can copy a DVD successfully. I do that here and there when I rent at Redbox, since can't watch 5 movies in one day!!! DVDFab worked as I said a few times then vanished and that was after insuring I had the proper piece it needed to work. Name surpasses me now!!

MS Office 64bit, gives up right away on almost all Linux OS's I have tried! Closest I ever got was last distro. Screen came up hit the installer and went 3 quarters of the way and then said "NO CAN DO!" No big deal as I have no problem with LibreOffice! I am trying to learn Linux as I go along and is taking time. Presently, have been at it for about 4 months! Previously, yes I was a Windows user. I don't hate Windows, is just I don't believe and I know for a fact, that not all businesses and universities use Windows! I am training for a career in Business Information Technology. I want to be assured after I graduate, I will not be turned down for lack of knowledge concerning other Operating Systems. Since there are many similarities between Linux and Unix, I use Linux. At present, many of the Unix systems are not working with all USB ethernet adapters. Linux is more advanced in that area and has been caring and understanding to the needs of Unix and other OS's. Since the day I read that point, I have cared more deeply for Linux! Linux holds its hands out to other OS's to help. Basically as not to bore anyone anymore I just like the principles of Linux. I would rather work with Linux and try to learn development, than work on an OS that I disagree with the principles!

I know about WineHQ have been there many times. I have tried some of their solutions, but as stated above it just seems all for nothing as eventually wine just stops working. So yes have given up that avenue and use Virtualbox(College Programs) with Win7. I wish, I didn't have to use it but I have no choice as is part of my curriculum. My wife loves Win7 and does not want nothing to do with Linux, since her favorite games only work with Windows. Doesn't bother me as I refuse to pay $200 for another Win7 license even if I did have the money! Is a shame my College only uses MS Expression Web 4. I have Kompozer which I download from the repo and Bluefish Editor, which is new to me and will actually have to learn Komposer before that! Have to walk, before you can run! Is just I seen many Universities online using Kompozer just as easily as MS Expression Web 4!. Conclusion is Ultimate has great tools and will get me further than other Linux OS's to learn development and will always appreciate that. Still as I like to mess with a decent game(3D) adventure/simulation types would be nice to find a source for that. The 2 I download refuse to do anything on Ultimate and believe it is most likely due to kernel changes! Two games are Vegatrek and Trigger Rally! Linux sure excelled in kernel development in a year's time!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:39 pm

MS Office 64bit, gives up right away on almost all Linux OS's I have tried!

I am sooooo curious as to which Linux OS actually ran it! Wine is tricky. Lot O' Legal Issues. Since I like to stack drives I generally have an OS on each and I used to always have a 7 buried somewhere. That is until I opened up two systems with the same MAK and it was effectively destroyed. Still, I would say being able to reach into that drive and run whatever was on it with wine was indeed..useful.

After having written this I realised that might actually be a pretty good way to run MS Office.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Wine serves it's purpose for what it's intended to be used for.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (4.81 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Ha! This is how bricks are made:D

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

hmmm..................
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.23 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God