Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help I broke my desktop

Welcome to eyecandy central.

Help I broke my desktop

Postby boarder428 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Runnning 3.4 lite, decided to install KDE, was playing with compiz settings, KDE was not handling compiz well, was having problems with log out button not responding so I shut off compiz not realizing settings would carry over to gnome. After logging off and back into gnome all I get is a broken desktop with a cursor and wallpaper, nothing else. I am set to auto login so I can't get to gdm. Is there a way to fix or do I need to reinstall?
Still Noob!
Computer1: Nvidia 650i
Computer Name : corey-NF66
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Memory : 4048MB (640MB used)
Operating System1 : Ultimate Edition 3.4 LTS
Kernel : Linux 3.2.0-38-generic (x86_64)
Operating System2 Windows 7 (x86_84)
-Display-
Resolution : 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2

Computer2: Acer Aspire 5515 Notebook
Computer Name : corey-Aspire-5515
Processor : AMD Athlon(TheeMahn) Processor 2650e
Memory : 2824MB (1101MB used)
Operating System2 Linux Mint 14 32bit
Operating System3 Elementry Os 32 bit
Operating System4 Windows Xp 32 bit
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
boarder428
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Re: Help I broke my desktop

Postby Micro » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello boarder428. Try ctrl+alt+F2 and login, then type compiz --replace and then try ctrl+alt+F7 and see if your desktop is back to normal. Plus you can refer to http://wiki.compiz.org/Troubleshooting. If that works then add compiz --replace to startup applications under system preferences...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:16 pm

It's basically like..Say, you installed Kubuntu, you will have KDE which will run under kwin. You could alternatively install compiz and run compiz window mangement, so yes, you are running compiz in KDE. But if you were to apt-get install gnome-panel and install gnome classic or fallback, it's not getting a new set of compiz instructions. Once you switched sessions and turned on compiz it would be pretty much the same with exceptions for when a certain window manager is called upon by the application. The thing is, you really do not get any advantage with compiz other than the random effects mode and a niftier cube thingamajig, so if you are in KDE why not run kwin. If you have kwin and compiz setup they will go across both DE in their own fashion but be more stable in their native environment. So when you are all said and done, you now have two cube thingies . If you are trying to get the gtk+ window setup like previous Ultimate themes, etc, this is also possible with kwin, and compiz has absolutely nothing on qtcurve with kwin for window setup. It's not really about which is better though, but the fact that KDE doesn't need compiz in any way.

So alternatively, you could go into KDE and turn on kwin. You should be able to manage your desktop and fix compiz.

kwin.png

kwin

Compiz.png

compiz

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby jslick1jim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello

You should be able to right click on desktop select scripts termal here. than ubuntu-tweak, look for desktop recovery select gnome and reset follow the prompts and log out when given the option. should be good too go.
Attachments
snapshot2.png
ImageMotherboard Msi Eclipse Sli
Cpu intel i7 920
Mem 6gig ddr3
x-fi extreme audio
ps2 keyboard
usb razer mouse
2 sata2 320 wd hd
2 ide 320 wd hd
2 segate 1tb hd
4 wd black 1tb hd
Visontek 5870
Hp Officejet Pro 8500 wireless
Lian Li PC-343B Modular Black Aluminum Cube Case
32in Olevia LCD HD TV
Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 bit
jslick1jim
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby boarder428 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Ok Micro, the ctrl+alt+F2 is not working for me, i get a return of "compiz (core) - Fatal: Could'nt open display" and jslick1jim I can't do nothing at the desktop, its as if it's just hanging there, right click does'nt work as a matter of fact the only thing that even works id ctrl+alt+F2. I'm convinced that a reinstall is probably the quickest way to get this pc back online.

Xanayoshi, as soon as I get this thing back online I'd like to give it another shot using your recomedations. Thing is, I love the way 3.4 works out of the box and I can be perfecetly satisfied with it, KDE has one feature I really like and that is the search box in the kicker menu, espicially with all the software Ultimate Edition has pre-installed. It's just easier to type in the program i want to run over looking for it throughout the menu structure in gnome. Problem is I like all the random effects that are installed in 3.4, they're all too cool and I was trying to get the same effects in the KDE enviroment. I tried 3.5 but it was just not working well on that particular pc. OS's seem to be alot like building a hotrod, what works great on one pc does'nt always work the same on another and I may just have to accept the fact that gnome runs better on that particular machine! The one i'm using right now runs best on LUbuntu and it's been that way since 9.04 :)
Still Noob!
-Display-

-Display-
boarder428
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 pm

boarder428 wrote:Ok Micro, the ctrl+alt+F2 is not working for me, i get a return of "compiz (core) - Fatal: Could'nt open display" and jslick1jim I can't do nothing at the desktop, its as if it's just hanging there, right click does'nt work as a matter of fact the only thing that even works id ctrl+alt+F2. I'm convinced that a reinstall is probably the quickest way to get this pc back online.

Xanayoshi, as soon as I get this thing back online I'd like to give it another shot using your recomedations. Thing is, I love the way 3.4 works out of the box and I can be perfecetly satisfied with it, KDE has one feature I really like and that is the search box in the kicker menu, espicially with all the software Ultimate Edition has pre-installed. It's just easier to type in the program i want to run over looking for it throughout the menu structure in gnome. Problem is I like all the random effects that are installed in 3.4, they're all too cool and I was trying to get the same effects in the KDE enviroment. I tried 3.5 but it was just not working well on that particular pc. OS's seem to be alot like building a hotrod, what works great on one pc does'nt always work the same on another and I may just have to accept the fact that gnome runs better on that particular machine! The one i'm using right now runs best on LUbuntu and it's been that way since 9.04 :)

Just switch the window manager when you switch the de(little blue box). You don't have to have one or the other. I was thinking of doing the same thing with 3.4 lite, and that is exactly what I did with 3.4., but I might mention you will get better results if you install KDE from backports as 4.8.5 doesn't work quite as well. You could still backport and enter the install kde-full command to upgrade kde.

You CAN get those same effects in the KDE environment.

https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum ... =die+unity

You can't really determine if KDE isn't working when you aren't using it's window manager :D . I don't think the DE on 3.4 lite is specifically gnome, but I haven't really spent enough time on it.

KDE takes a little while to fully learn and set up but if you have any questions I can probably answer them as far as setting up effects...like the cube.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:54 pm

I've been meaning to put stuff up in the KDE section I just wanted to build one up to demonstrate, and I need to get another drive anyways. I think 3.4 lite would be perfect for that, and that had been my intention, I have just been on this pi in my spare time.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby boarder428 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

ok, I got this thing going again on a fresh install and am ready to give it a go. I don't understand what "installing from a backport" is or means. I previously used synaptic to install the DE. Please let me know the best way to install KDE and we'll go from there!
Still Noob!
-Display-

-Display-
boarder428
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:08 pm

ok

I am going to put a post in KDE, give me a minute.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:19 pm

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Next

Return to Compiz-Fusion: Believe the Unbelievable