Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Atheros wifi Fix for 2.0

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.0

Re: Atheros wifi for Intrepid

Postby red_team316 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:48 pm

Excellent post strider. I had wifi problems with a laptop I bought recently that had the atheros wifi, and Method 2 got me up and running. I got another laptop for christmas and the wifi doesn't completely kill the LiveCD at boot so I decided to gift the other one to my dad. The new one boots the LiveCD at least and has some decent BIOS options but still no wifi. It's a broadcom wifi If I remember correctly. I'll have to see how your method 1 fares regardless as I'd like to finally have a way to attempt to get my dad to use linux as he isn't very pleased with Microsoft's direction and gets frustrated some times and says he'll have to try linux sometime.

Here's the info that helped me out concerning method 2 for anyone interested.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/287244
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby red_team316 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:38 pm

Well, I would think adding that line to your boot script somewhere or even as an autostart bash script would work, but that approach is rather pragmatic and not exactly elegant, but it's possible if you inquired about it, that something like that may be added to the makefile...?
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby red_team316 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Try adding a bash script to one of the /etc/rc0-6 directories or maybe the /etc/init.d directory. I'm not really sure which runlevel it needs to be at, but you canlook at some of the other scripts in the folders to get an idea of where it might need to go.

Here is some similar info on a bug that kdm has in intrepid boot process. The fix was to change the number on the script so that it is run at a different time.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intre ... bug/271138

I would think the script would be pretty basic. Probably just an if else statement determining if we are booting or shutting down and then the make load /unload lines.

Other than that, here is some good info from the Gentoo wiki on Autostart but it is dependant on desktop managers so the rc script would probably be the better way to go. But nonetheless, this is good info.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs
EDIT: DOH! The gentoo Autostart wiki page is gone. You might try googling for "kde autostart" or "gnome autostart".
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby red_team316 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 pm

Hey, I did get it working on 64-bit integrated into a LiveCD by using ndiswrapper following these instructions while in a chroot:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=14

What about WPA/WEP? I saw something called WICD ( http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ ) that is a network manager with it already built in and looks promising considering it looks like you can add your own encryption scheme too.
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby ledenjes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:49 pm

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pa2510 with AMD64 processor and Atheros AR5007EG wireless adapter.

I managed to get my wireless lan working by doing the following:

I downloaded and installed the following .deb files (in my case the amd64 .deb files), in the following order:
1. linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic (http://packages.ubuntu.com/nl/intrepid/linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic)

2. linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-9-generic (http://packages.ubuntu.com/nl/intrepid/linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-9-generic)

3. linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic (http://packages.ubuntu.com/nl/intrepid/linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic)

Then, I opened gnome-terminal and typed the following: lspci | grep “Atheros”

After that, I rebooted my computer. The result: wireless internet!

Hope it will help you, too!
ledenjes
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby ixnod » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:18 pm

strider5236 wrote:Thank you for the advice. I will have to check this method out when 2.1 come out. <BREW>

Collecting scripts for 2.1 strider??

Always planning ahead.
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:14 am

Now you have all done it, Finetuch has the same card, so yes it will be fixed across the board not that I have not done so, is it my job? Perhaps built into Ultimate Edition 2.1... BS I should have only one job, people please leave me alone ;) If my admin bother me w/o a doubt things get done. I do not want to think that way, I try to take care of broadband situations. I have openly asked, more then I can say for Ubuntu. Then again I indeed am 1 man.

Look at it this way fix one problem, fix a thousand, is that my job? Millions is where I am at.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: Atheros wifi Fix for 2.0

Postby linuxfreack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi,
i'm relatively new on linux but i solved this problem for me like this.
I used ndiswrapper with this driver http://users.telenet.be/stefsite/DriverAR5007win.tar.gz
and it works fine for me no troubles.
linuxfreack
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby linuxfreack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Yes I'm using 32bit, my laptop is single core processor 1.7 but my desktop is a dual core, after some research I found that the 64bit has not so many advantage's for programs speed and stability. Now this can by wrong but I will stick with the 32bit for now.
Now hey, hooray for the future changes I'm always open for new suggestions and ideas.
Learning can hurt but it can make you fly also.
long live Linux.
PS: nice Christmas video.

Use spell check :D
linuxfreack
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby Beetlebum » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 am

Hi, I installed Ultimate Edition 2.0 over the weekend - great package with some really cool graphics. I, too, have difficulty with my wireless connection - as I did with Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.10. I managed to fix this problem by installing wicd and it worked well for me. However, when I try to install wicd on Ultimate Edition it tells me there is not sufficient software to run it. Could someone possibly assist me to get this up and running as I'm relatively new to working in a Linux/Ubuntu environment and would appreciate some help.
Thanx in advance. :(
A man who thinks himself a fool is wise - a man who thinks himself wise is a fool indeed!!!
Beetlebum
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.0