Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 2.0...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.0

Re: Ultimate Edition 2.0...

Postby painterh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks pch.shot for the input. I only have a 2 gig flash drive at the moment. I will pick up a larger one soon. I was wondering if anyone has tried to install Ultimate Edition using umenu (on iso file) from within windows vista (without using bootable cd or dvd) using only an iso file, or is this possible? Upon looking at options in umenu, it says you can setup an install from within vista (you have to download a little program" http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html", that lets you mount an iso image file within vista) to install to hard drive (after a restart) but it seems like it wants to look for the cd drive on reboot. I am going to back-up my vista install and give it a go, and I'll keep you posted. I guess that's how you find out if something might work, just jump into the deep end of the pool and try.
There are 3 things that happen when you start getting old. The first is your memory starts to go and I can't remember the other 2. Wait! What was I talking about?

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
Opteron 170 OC'd to 2.8ghz
1 gig ram
2 160 gig Seagate sata 7200 Barracuda drives
Writemaster Dvd burner with lightscribe
Nvidia 7600GS graphics card
Dual boot; Ultimate 1.8 x64 (95% time) & Win XP Home (only for college course work)
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby pch.shot » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Why don't you try the 2 gig flash drive first. The ISO is about 1.7 gigs. It will be a tight squeeze but it might just fit. Make sure the flash drive is formatted first to Fat32 that way linux will have no problems reading it.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby painterh » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:21 am

I think I will give it a shot with my 2gig and see if it fits. I will make sure ti wipe it clean first. I had a bootable version of some flavor fo linux on it some time back, and I think some of the volume still has the "casper" portion which made it bootable (I think). I tried that virtual cloned cd drive program, and it did indeed create a virtual drive. However, as soon as I restarted to do install as required by "umenu" on the cd image, the drive disappeared. I suppose the bios can't see it to boot from it because it isn't hardware. Anyway, I'll give the ubsb flash drive a try in the next few days. Thanks for the input. It's always nice to get someone else's feedback. That's what we're here for, isn't it? And hopefully help someone else sort out issues of their own.
There are 3 things that happen when you start getting old. The first is your memory starts to go and I can't remember the other 2. Wait! What was I talking about?

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
Dual boot; Ultimate 1.8 x64 (95% time) & Win XP Home (only for college course work)
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pch.shot » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:52 pm

If you can squeeze it on the 2 gig flash drive make sure to post back. I have been telling everybody to go with a 4 gig. If in fact it works with a 2 gig let me know. It will save people from buying a 4 gig one.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:08 pm

pch.shot wrote:If you can squeeze it on the 2 gig flash drive make sure to post back. I have been telling everybody to go with a 4 gig. If in fact it works with a 2 gig let me know. It will save people from buying a 4 gig one.

All of the ones I have tried 1.9 all flavors & 2.0 all flavors except gamers fit and work perfectly fine on a 2GB stick, it was what I was using before I got my 8GB stick now gamers is also not an issue ;)

Come to think of it 1.8 I also had no issues with, didn't have one during 1.7 or less so I could not say.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby painterh » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 am

Hey, I was wondering if Ultimate Edition could be installed from an internal hard disk partition, similar to the way it is explained in this post: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html? I have an empty partition on my hdd, and this is something I would like to try (if possible). This is a really nice laptop, but the issues surrounding squashfs errors ( ie;https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/172937 ) has me wanting to try something different. I don't have time to try anymore cd's, dvd's or coasters, or the extra cash for another flash drive. Believe me, I have a mess of coasters from the last several years, since Ultimate Edition 1.4. I did what was described in the link above, and opened the Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64 iso using winrar, but was unable to find the vmlinuz or initrd.gz files referred to. If any has some background in this, I would appreciate some input.

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pch.shot » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 pm

If your bios can be set up to boot from any drive then it should be possible. You still need to use something like unetbootin to extract the ISO file and make it bootable.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:23 pm

painterh wrote:Hey, I was wondering if Ultimate Edition could be installed from an internal hard disk partition, similar to the way it is explained in this post: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/in ... -from.html? I have an empty partition on my hdd, and this is something I would like to try (if possible). This is a really nice laptop, but the issues surrounding squashfs errors ( ie;https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/172937 ) has me wanting to try something different. I don't have time to try anymore cd's, dvd's or coasters, or the extra cash for another flash drive. Believe me, I have a mess of coasters from the last several years, since Ultimate Edition 1.4. I did what was described in the link above, and opened the Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64 iso using winrar, but was unable to find the vmlinuz or initrd.gz files referred to. If any has some background in this, I would appreciate some input.

I am not saying that it can't most likely it can, I have tried similar and screwed my grub up. If I get brave enough may try it again and write a how to.
Attachments
initrd.png
initrd & vmlinuz in casper folder
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby painterh » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks for replying TheeMahn. I tried unetbootin, and for some reason, when when asked which drive I wanted to install Ultimate to, only my C: drive was visible. I have 4 partitions on my harddrive. 2 are ntfs (one for Windows and one for data), and the other 2 are unused. I tried used GParted to reformat one of the unused partitions for installing Ultimate, but it seems windows doesn't even see it (even though I installed the ifs driver which allows windows to read and write to linux file systems). I have used this on my main desktop, and have been able to move files back and forth (or copy back and forth) between Win XP and Ubuntu. What would be the best way to reformat one of the unused partitions (ie; what file system)? Won't Ultimate set up new partitions during the install process if requested? I am a little wary of doing any more messing around with drives and partitions, because it seems obvious that I am not really sure what I am doing. I already messed up my old laptop by trying to move the linux partition and screwing up the hardware id# that linux assigns drives during install. Probably need to wipe that install and start over. It's ok though, because I gave that laptop to my daughter, and she won't even try linux, so she's just got a smaller hard drive to use for a while until I have time to fix it for her. Speaking of time, I better use mine wisely right now, because I have college finals this week, and I'm not ready. Let me just say, that I had no idea how hard college would be after being away from school for 38 years. Feeling very much like the "old dog" that can't learn new tricks. So I probably wont worry about installing Ultimate Edition 2.0 until after finals are over, but I would like to have a plan for doing it using only the hard drive.

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby stanca » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:01 am

I know that the windows sees only fat and ntfs partition in "My Computer", the unused(unallocated) partitions only from computer management>device manager>disk drives. You can reformat partitions from windows in ntfs2:right click on my computer icon>manage>storage>disk management>your disk here>right click on partition>format. <BREW>
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.0