Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Losing internet when laptop is hot

Any and all things Laptop related.

Losing internet when laptop is hot

Postby ninhalo5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with my Toshiba Satellite.
I've tried Googling and that came up with 0 hits. What is happening is when my laptop starts to get warm I lose my internet/ethernet connection. This happens with any OS. I currently have Ultimate Edition and Vista installed and I'll lose both my wireless and my wired connection on either OS. When this happens I have to let the laptop get cold again then turn it back on, it can take in between 5-60 minutes to get my ethernet up again.
Has anyone come across anything like this in the past? I'm guessing something got fried but I'm not sure. I would think if something is fried then I wouldn't have net at all, and being this happens in both Linux and Windoze I would probably rule out any driver issues.

Thanks
Jeff
LapTop:
Processor*
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60
Operating System*
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.9 x64
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit)
Graphics Engine*
ATI® Radeon™ X1200
Graphics Memory*
128MB-319MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
Memory*
2GB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM
Hard Drive*
200GB HDD (4200rpm)
Optical Drive*
DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ drive
Display Size*
15.4" widescreen
Display Type*
WXGA with TruBrite® Technology
Display Resolution*
1280x800, Supports 720p content
Communication
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
Wireless LAN*
Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
ninhalo5
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Re: Losing internet when laptop is hot

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 pm

Lol as I work on a clients toshiba laptop, overheats and shuts off on me with out a cooling pad. Lol :lol: :lol:

FYI, overheating laptops have a very short shelf life. Replacing his HDD after just 1 year, due to heat damage.

Now my laptop with the i5 runs around 42c to 46c max load. Supper cool because of hardware , i5 runs cool.

Next time shop and pick your hardware better, always ask and one of us can tell ya winners and losers.

Love desktop AMD CPU,s but laptop AMD run hotter, just how it is.

Pre i7 i3 i5 CPU,s for intel were hot as he'll to.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby ninhalo5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Well this laptop is a couple years old, it started off as an excellent laptop until I had a pretty heavy duty animation I needed to produce which suffered a meltdown in the process lol.
Ever since that day the laptop has had processor speed issues and a friend of mine introduced me to Ultimate Edition 2.4; I believe it was at the time, which ran absolutely great on this system. I have a pretty good cooling fan with a 12" blade and it's staying cooler that it was previously with my little 3" cooling fan. The issue I'm having is relatively new starting just a few months ago when I was using it at work plugged into the intranet. (the laptop killing animation was about 2.5 years ago)
I was thinking about replacing the internal wireless card but then thought that the issue might extend beyond that being neither ethernet adapter works once the laptop is on for 30+ minutes.
I am planning on getting a new laptop once I get enough $$$ for one but I still need to try to figure out what in the world is going on with this one for the time being.
LapTop:
Processor*
Operating System*
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.9 x64
Graphics Engine*
ATI® Radeon™ X1200
Graphics Memory*
Memory*
Hard Drive*
200GB HDD (4200rpm)
Optical Drive*
Display Size*
15.4" widescreen
Display Type*
Display Resolution*
Communication
Wireless LAN*
ninhalo5
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:22 pm

Our tech today is still based on silicon. Silicon breaks down over time via heat, thus the life span.

Over heat it, life span just reduced by YEARS. Start to notice degradation, like what your seeing now.

Seen it professionally for decades now.

Just like a engine block, over heat a aluminum engine and 9 times out of 10 the heads warp first time.

Same concept.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby billhedrick » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:58 pm

I had a similar problem with my iBook (running Mac OS 10.5) when it warmed up the airport card would crash, taking the system with it. I disabled it. spent $20 on a nice USB wifi plug and no problems since. Yea, at some point, hardware just gets old, laptops suffer more than desktops because it is easier to replace a fan or a powersupply in a desktop.

You might want to look at my solution, go to NewEgg and check out what they have.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Man you come up with great ideas.

As long as the rest of hardware hasn't taken massive damage from heat.

Should work for now.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ninhalo5 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:35 pm

billhedrick wrote:I had a similar problem with my iBook (running Mac OS 10.5) when it warmed up the airport card would crash, taking the system with it. I disabled it. spent $20 on a nice USB wifi plug and no problems since. Yea, at some point, hardware just gets old, laptops suffer more than desktops because it is easier to replace a fan or a powersupply in a desktop.

You might want to look at my solution, go to NewEgg and check out what they have.

That's a good idea, could you suggest a adapter that works with linux? I have a Linksys WUSB54GC ver. 3 but the last time I looked there was not a driver compatible with it, though that was 2 years ago. When I first installed Ultimate Edition 2.4 I have several issues getting the internet to work, though I had no idea what I was doing so I was going to use that.

Gúrú If that fails to work do you have an idea on what I might need to replace, if not the entire motherboard?

Thanks guys
LapTop:
Processor*
Operating System*
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.9 x64
Graphics Engine*
ATI® Radeon™ X1200
Graphics Memory*
Memory*
Hard Drive*
200GB HDD (4200rpm)
Optical Drive*
Display Size*
15.4" widescreen
Display Type*
Display Resolution*
Communication
Wireless LAN*
ninhalo5
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:20 pm

I Cary these for Linux. Sold quite a lot of them, not the best distance. But very reliable, great price, works with Linux out of the box.

No drivers needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180017&cm_re=USB_wireless_adapter-_-33-180-017-_-Product

As for hardware failure, my experience over the years would show failure in this order.

HDD
Motherboard
Wireless card or Ethernet
Screen
Battery
Ram
CPU

I would say 87% of the time it was HDD.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ninhalo5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 am

Wow that's pretty cheap, I think when I bought my linksys it was around $60 thanks for that link.
The HDD in my laptop is only a couple weeks old. My job gave me a faulty external HDD to transfer some files on and it fried my laptop and my desktop HDD when I plugged it in; well it fried my laptop and destroyed Windows on the desktop so I ended up having to format the desktop and replace the laptops HDD. Joy of joys :)
LapTop:
Processor*
Operating System*
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.9 x64
Graphics Engine*
ATI® Radeon™ X1200
Graphics Memory*
Memory*
Hard Drive*
200GB HDD (4200rpm)
Optical Drive*
Display Size*
15.4" widescreen
Display Type*
Display Resolution*
Communication
Wireless LAN*
ninhalo5
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby gems » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:19 pm

I think this is problem of SMPS.So you need to change your SMPS.After change it you will surly not face this problem.
Last edited by pclinuxguru on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spam is not tolerated here, please remove none Linux/Ultimate edition or affiliated content from your sig. We have no problem with links to Linux/ultimate edition. oz unity sites. Thank you guru ....
gems
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Next

Return to Laptops-All topics