Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

amd/ati vs intel/nvidia

Any and all things Laptop related.

amd/ati vs intel/nvidia

Postby kostas » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 am

i need your opinion:
amd/ati or intel/nvidia is the best combination for the ideal laptop to run Ultimate?
:?:
kostas
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 Gamers

Re: amd/ati vs intel/nvidia

Postby pch.shot » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:43 pm

I'm an Intel/Nvidia guy. But that is my personal opinion. I would go with the best deal. Linux has a bit better support for Nvidia graphics. They are much more on top of updating drivers. That may change, however. As far as processors go, flip a coin. You get good value for your money with AMD but if you want the fastest get Intel. Again, that may change soon as well. The Phenom II is getting good reviews and for the money it's a good buy. I went with an Intel i7 with my last build because I do a lot of video processing(an 800 buck upgrade). You can do a lot cheaper with an AMD setup. I think Intel will be coming out with a laptop version of the i7 later this year, but I would imagine it will be expensive.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Cell » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:57 am

Im a amd/ati guy.I don't have any issues with my hardware.I play games(not the chess and card games... high fps games),play high def video's,and such.........no problems.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby CBR1000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 am

Hi,

I am currently looking to buy a Laptop, which I hope to load Ultimate 2.7. Cell, I understand from the posts here that you and some others prefer ATi drivers and some others prefer nVidia.

I would like to know whether I would be better off going for a laptop with a nVidia or Ati graphics card. The laptop I am looking at is a HP DV6-3030TX with a ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics card. Will this work well with the builtin/bundled drivers or, once again, would I be better going for a nVidia based laptop. I would love an opinion from you too Cell, if you have the time, as I understand you are fairly cluey in this area.

Thank you
CBR1000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.4

Postby Cell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:50 pm

I am?Lol....

I would choose based on what you want to do with the laptop.I use all (2) my lappy's as work stations,so I just use an intel gpu.Its cheaper,and gets the job done.

But If you want to play games,and such Its a toss between ATI,Nvidia with laptops in my opinion.Does that chip send out sound over the hdmi?If so make sure it works in linux.

I generally like ATI,because they are doing more for the open source "idea"....Which we tend to forget about.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... =&gs_rfai=

Might help ya make a decision.

Cell
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby Cell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Oh ya...sense its a laptop make sure what ever you get plays nice with power management.
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby CBR1000 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 am

Cell wrote:I am?Lol....

I would choose based on what you want to do with the laptop.I use all (2) my lappy's as work stations,so I just use an intel gpu.Its cheaper,and gets the job done.

But If you want to play games,and such Its a toss between ATI,Nvidia with laptops in my opinion.Does that chip send out sound over the hdmi?If so make sure it works in linux.

I generally like ATI,because they are doing more for the open source "idea"....Which we tend to forget about.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clie ... =&gs_rfai=

Might help ya make a decision.

Cell

Hi Cell,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I hope to play some games and my kids play Silkroad Online and WOW alot (I am hoping to put Unbutu, Open Office etc on all our PCs if Ubuntu will support the things we play/use)

I guess the reason why I asked these questions of you was that I have read a whole lot online which didn't really give me a good feeling about which way to go as far as a GPU was concerned. There were people with nVidia problems and people with ATi problems when trying to get Ubuntu drivers.

While I understand that GPU choice may be a personal preference for many, I wondered if with your beta testing experience you may be able to say fairly easily whether nVidia or Ati mobile graphics are easier/harder (not in that order :D ) to get working with Ubuntu native or internet obtained drivers. What are your thoughts. (sorry if I am pushing you into a corner)

Regards
CBR1000
CBR1000
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.4

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:43 pm

Hello CBR1000.

Hi Cell,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I hope to play some games and my kids play Silkroad Online and WOW alot (I am hoping to put Unbutu, Open Office etc on all our PCs if Ubuntu will support the things we play/use)

I guess the reason why I asked these questions of you was that I have read a whole lot online which didn't really give me a good feeling about which way to go as far as a GPU was concerned. There were people with nVidia problems and people with ATi problems when trying to get Ubuntu drivers.

While I understand that GPU choice may be a personal preference for many, I wondered if with your beta testing experience you may be able to say fairly easily whether nVidia or Ati mobile graphics are easier/harder (not in that order :D ) to get working with Ubuntu native or internet obtained drivers. What are your thoughts. (sorry if I am pushing you into a corner)

Regards
CBR1000

Let me add my 2 cents on this question of yours.
Cell & Myself using ACER machines just not the same Hadware.
Cell use the Nvidia+ATI and I use the Intel Video Card.
To tell you just the Facts with the U.E Systems = all works just fine.
And if there is issues it is not because of the machine, it is because of Dev Driver that was not fix.
The ACER machines are until this point doing the best work with the U.E Systems.
you just need to add 2G ram OR more on the machine for Games and Graphics have software.
The Rest is History = All good.
With the Intel Video Cards there is no problems at all, the Drivers work just Great with U.E in Advanced.
With the Nvidia +ATI there is some work to do with the installation process After installing the system on your Hard Drive.
But on the Big Picture my Advice for you is to get ACER machine. ;)
Admin-Amir

Postby Cell » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I honestly never tested Nvidia, but once...and it failed for what I need it to do.I've been buying,and using ATI for over ten years,and always managed to get it working in Linux just peachy...I just don't have much experience on the ATI mobile chips.

Cell
hardware
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Mythbuntu 9.10
We are all connected;
To the earth, chemically
Cell
Site Admin

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:49 pm

I have 2 laptops both with nvidia cards and if I was going to buy one now it would have an ATI card. I've never had a intel card as far as I recall.
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Next

Return to Laptops-All topics