Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

virtualbox

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: virtualbox

Postby pch.shot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:52 pm

If you are using Windows and have lots of ram Avast is the best free A/V. You can run a pre-boot scan to remove evil stuff that loads with Windows. No a/v or antispam ware is going to give you 100% protection. Just don't keep private stuff on your computer(bank account #s credit card #'s). Change your web browser to Opera or one of the lesser known ones. Don't have your web browser save passwords. Encrypt all your data.
Re-install Windows once a month. If someone really wants access to your computer they will find a way in. The Japanese Stock Exchange got hacked a few years back. One day someone will hack NASA and launch a nuclear weapon. Paranoid Yet!!!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby dragonfly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Hi pch, actually no, I don't have lots of RAM. I have Windows XP in a fixed 12G hard drive virtualbox and I need a very light weight antivirus. My daughter gave me her BitDefender and it froze the machine. I have now installed clamwin and everything is running fine now. Thanks for the tip, I don't know if I am thinking right here or not, but I assume that the less space I give Windows XP the less chance it has of infecting the rest of the system. I wouldn't even use windows if I could get Viewpoint to work on Ubuntu.. I have a question tho, I know I have clamav installed on my Ubuntu but don't know how to access it. I can't seem to find it in any of my programs. Do you have any advice here?
Last edited by dragonfly on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:09 pm

The clam av on the linux side is all background. You don't need to worry about it at all. It updates silently and runs silently. Here are a few other lightweight programs for your Windows virtualbox:
http://www.ccleaner.com/
http://www.glaryutilities.com/
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/di ... g/download
Run ccleaner and glary every day
auslogics once a week.
Make sure you have the windows version of clam av update when you start your virtualbox(update daily)
By doing this you will keep your windows virtualbox clean and free of harmful crap.
All you need for a Windows virtualbox is 4 gig max(set it to self expanding) keeping it as small as possible by daily cleaning. 192 megs of ram and 8 megs of video ram is plenty to run a Windows virtualbox.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby dragonfly » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi pch, I have now installed ccleaner. glaryutilities, and auslogics. Auslogics is a 15 day free trial deal so I'll probably remove it after the trial period. I can't see spending a lot of money on a system I don't like very much. I have a correction, the security system my daughter gave me that jammed my virtualbox was BitDefender, I think one thing and type another.
Thanks again everything is working very well. I haven't changed the size of my windows virtual hard drive as I'm not sure how yet, but I'll figure it out in time.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby deate » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:49 am

, I know I have clamav installed on my Ubuntu but don't know how to access it. I can't seem to find it in any of my programs. Do you have any advice here?

Look in synaptic for ..."clamTk" it is the graphic GUI for clam

Then in terminal sudo clamtk to access the graphical user interface.. <BREW>

Sorry, spelt check incorrectly ! :o
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby pch.shot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:00 pm

The auslogics disc defrag is free. You must have installed the paid one instead. If you do plan on re-installing vbox windows then just resize it then. I like to use as little space as possible because I use my XP vbox so little!!! Lets face it Windows is just no fun at all!!! It is only for work!!!
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God