Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

virtualbox

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

virtualbox

Postby dragonfly » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:21 pm

I tried to install virtualbox ose with absolutly no success. I then removed what I had installed and went to the innotek web page and down loaded and installed virtualbox from there. I now have a virtualbox that will load Knoppix and gets as far as having Konquerer on the virtual screen but that's as far as I get. I cannot get the cursor to work. Every time I try to use the cursor I get a big explanation that I have pressed the cursor in the virtual machine and goes on to try to explain something about capturing the mouse. The cursor that is shown in the virtual machine does not move.
HELP!!! what do I do now.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: virtualbox

Postby pch.shot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm

There should be a box to check to capture the mouse(you want to do that-or find the cursor inside the virtualbox and click on it-it should then be captured-to release it hit Ctrl-right). To have integration with your Ubuntu desktop you have to install guest addititons to the guest operating system(in this case Knoppix). Then you will have a choice of seamless mode, full screen and full use of your mouse(inside and outside your virtualbox). If you install Windows in a virtualbox you will probably be able to access your Nova Scotia website!!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby dragonfly » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi pch, when you say click on it, do I right click, left click, double click, click both at the same time. Do I hold any other key down when I click. I think I've tried a few clicks but who knows I might have missed something. Do I have to have my cursor on the Knoppix cursor when I click, this is driving me mad LOL. I can't seem to find a box to check to capture the mouse, where do I look for that.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pch.shot » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:37 pm

There is a panel in the bottom right hand corner of virtualbox that tells you whether the mouse is captured or not.
Attachments
snapshot3.png
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby dragonfly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:58 am

Hi pch, I just could not get virtual box to work on Ubuntu 8.04. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 8.10 and installed virtualbox OSE and it worked right off the bat. I now have Windows XP installed in the virtualbox and can read the genealogy info I needed to read.
Now I need to know how to configure the virtualbox so that it can operate my printer and scanner or is that possible.
I know one thing tho and that is this Ubuntu Christmas Edition is absolutly fantastic.
Should I ask how to configure this virtualbox on the Ubuntu 8.10 forum or can you help me on this page?

Note of interest: I was reading some of the forums comparing openSUSE to Ubuntu and according to the experts Ubuntu is now the #1 system, I'll bet that makes the Ubuntu team feel really proud.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby bpollen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:25 am

dragonfly wrote:Now I need to know how to configure the virtualbox so that it can operate my printer and scanner or is that possible.

Between the site listed above by NICK, and this site - http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04/howto-install-virtualbox-in-hardy-heron.html - I was able to get my Kodak ESP all-in-one printer to work in Vbox... can scan, print, copy...
Ultimate Edition 2.0 (and, by extension, Intrepid) recognizes the printer but can't use it. (Kodak, in their infinite wisdom, has no interest in supporting Linux!) Virtualbox UNDER Ultimate Edition 2.0 now has no prob with it at all.
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby dragonfly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi bpollen and nick, I went to synaptic and removed virtualbox ose then added everything bpollen gave me through his website addy with the terminal. when I rebooted I found virtualbox 2, and virtualbox 2.1 in synaptic. I installed virtualbox 2. I was quite surprised to see Windows XP still in the virtualbox as I thought when I removed the ose version I would lose everything. Anyway everything worked as before meaning I still have no sound, I can't connect to my cd drive, and I still can't use my printer or scanner. I then went to nick's website and performed all his installation instructions.
I still have the same problem. Anything else I can try?
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby dragonfly » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:49 am

Problem Solved

Hi again guys, I must be dumber than a box of rocks. I just discovered that I had to go into settings on the virtualbox and select the audio and cdrom and whatever. Everything works just fine now, thanks again. I will now be moving to the Ubuntu Christmas Edition forum.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby bpollen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:20 am

Usually the biggest problem I have with setting stuff up is.... me.
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby dragonfly » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi bpollen, I think I spoke too soon. I thought everything was working when I went to bed late last night because I had my sound and I could read the cdrom. I figured I had it made. I have now installed using an installation cd the HP Photosmart C4400 series all-in-one. That being said, I still cannot use my printer. I went into my virtualbox settings and checked Host Pipe and Create Pipe and port path LPT1.
What am I doing wrong?
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9