Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ubuntu Repos ISO's Download here

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Ubuntu Repos ISO's Download here

Postby spd69kcrada » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:25 am

I have been trying to find a way to get all the repos from repositories. (Main,Multiverse,Restricted,Universe .. and whatever else may be needed. And I have been searching the web of a way to make this easy but really have not found a way???
Somehow this needs to be easier way for offline NO internet connection, users with slow connections (modem) etc ... So what solution I have found was to go into synaptic and marked packages that I can download and save out a generated script to do this process.
but cannot do system wide updates even if I marked all updates will grab some but not all I think (still testing it).?? Home machine no net connection, Work has Broadband connection is fast enough to grab the 0updates or software I want to use. Then I take my script I made with Synaptic and bring it to work with me and boot the live Ultimate Edition v1.9 DVD and open terminal and issue the command sh updates.sh and it downloads the files I requested from synaptic on my home machine Ultimate Edition v1.9. after doing that I take all the d/l'ed .deb files and open synaptic and add downloaded packages and off it goes installs fine I now have some new software to use. (Seems to work ok) but still can't update the package or package list etc ... thats is needed after you install software. Which is ok I suppose .... system runs ok and is stable doing this. I have also found some links to help others out here they are go here for further info > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352460 > good info but is long and tedious
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=49 >what debmirror does a breakdown in case someone needs it.
http://www.linux.com/feature/115226?theme > about howto with APTonCD.
I have also found and FTP site that has the REPOS I have not tested the 5 DVDS yes I said 5 DVD's :) I'm downloading them now but Question after I have got the 5 DVD's (repos) how can I maintain the updates from the DVD's after I add them to sysnaptic??
b/c u cannot write to a dvd :) duh ...
here is the link with some info to the repos http://linuxevangelist.blogspot.com/200 ... -dvds.html
just go into your distro you are using hardy gusty etc....

Hope this all helps and if someone uses the repos (DVDs) and gets it all to work as well as keeping the DVDS updated please post in here as to how it worked for you share your knowledge.

here might be a way to get all the repos from say http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool and there you would have directory's of repos Main, Multiverse, Restricted, Universe ... one could fire up and FTP program like filezilla and download everything in these directory's but your talking gigs of data from each directory and may not be practical I would think not??? but then could make DVDS from it maybe?? and then how to keep it updated by d/l'ing the package list and such etc ...????

the work machine is on Winxp pro and I have not found a way to do this from work and then take it home to do the updates, security etc... I have found utils in google such as WingetGui and a few others but good take days to d/l and I would not be able to do this as would tie up machine for hours are days to get all this .... There just has to be a way to accomplish this in an easier way either through windows or linux with a software tool that can do this process from one machine to another??? However I would love to make one but I'm not a coder at all in that fashion. And this program could go out and get the needed files from the repositories and the prgram can keep this updated for you and the structure needed to add this to your synaptic app in Ubuntu and whola your machine will always be updated no matter what?

Oh here is a few pics of my Ultimate Edition v1.9 Desktop
Desktop-Screenshot-1.png
Just a few Desktop shots of Ultimate Edition v1.9

Desktop-Screenshot-2.png

Desktop-Screenshot-3.png

Desktop-Screenshot-4.png
spd69kcrada
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Re: Ubuntu Repos ISO's Download here

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:03 pm

While I don't agree with downloading the entire repos, since you would be downloading a lot of stuff that you would never use, and if even a fraction of users did it can you imagine the load on the servers? You did hit on one point that I was wondering about as well.

There are many requests for assistance from users that for one reason or another don't have internet access on a pc that is running Ultimate or for that matter regular ubuntu. So the question is this.

How would someone go about updating the lists on an off-line pc so that they would be up to date? That way they would be informed of updates being available for their system?

At that point they could generate a download script in Synaptic of what they NEED and could take the script to an on-line pc and download the updates for the off-line pc. Then take them back to the off-line pc and install them.

I believe this would make for a very useful how to for some users if someone can explain it. Perhaps this has already been explained somewhere and it never made it as a sticky and is lost to the ages.
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:12 pm

Holly smoke I found the answer and here it is. http://www.offlineubuntu.co.cc/

So it's looking like copying /etc/apt/sources.list and taking that to an on-line pc and entering it into the web page in the link above would work. Am I right?
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:35 pm

It's amazing what you can find when you look for it. Should have just done the searching before even making a reply. Found an even easier way here http://keryx.betaserver.org/ I'll make a how-to in the how-to thread for everyone.
2hot6ft2

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:40 am

That is definitely doing it the hard way.
Synaptic has the capability to do it all for you, pretty much the way you described, using the Script.

Start the update manager
hit the Check button (to make sure the list is fresh)
when it's done, close update manager
open Synaptic
Hit the Mark all Upgrades button
Select File/ Generate Package download script
Take that script to the machine with bandwidth
run the script
copy those packages back to your other computer
open Synaptic
Select File/ Add Downloaded packages

Should do all the updates for you as that's what it's primarily designed for.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Ubuntu Repos ISO's Download Here (updated)

Postby spd69kcrada » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:44 am

To get your updates follow this procedure as what I did and it works for pretty good for what it's worth .... first thing is do this command > sudo apt-get update
this command updates Sources.list in /etc/apt/sources.list once you have that done
take the file sources.list and copy the file to say a usb or external Harddrive by issue this command > cp /etc/apt/sources.list /media/whatever drive .... once this is done to it to and online machine and go to this website > http://www.offlineubuntu.co.cc/
input your Sources.list in the box choose 32bit/64bit select upload and continue and then
you will see all of your source list in the box now save as download-updates.bat
and then it will download the packages for you and then you can take this packages and
put those in the offline machine Now, take the files to the Ubuntu installation you wish to update offline and place all the extracted files into the directory: /var/lib/apt/lists
To do so, you will need to have root privilages. Under ubuntu, launch nautilus using the following command in the run dialog (that comes up when you press Alt+F2):
gksudo nautilus /var/lib/apt/lists
Then paste the files overwriting the original files. You may wish to backup the original contents before overwriting. You should follow the above procedure every few weeks to ensure that you have later version of package information.
Once all this is done you should see your update icon upper left corner in tray showing how many updates you have if any or some alot etc... launch synaptic and then check all updates and then your done up to this point .... now generate script download using sysnaptic save it as updates-sh or updates.bat or whatever then save it usb drive ... go to online machine. if on ubuntu (linux) os open terminal and issue this command
sudo updates.sh ...... if you are on a windows machine and want to download the packages on windows you will need wget which can be found here > http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm > once you have the file
extract it to say c:\Linux_updates\ then put the .bat file along with wget and whola
open a dos box by selecting run then type in cmd done go to the dir c:\Linux_updates
and run the .bat file and whola look at all those updates just downloading away.
Once that is done take all the files back your Linux box and open sysnaptic and select
add downloaded packages and go to the folder you put the updates in our case it was c:\Linux_updates or whatever drive or device you used and presto off it goes updating
your box. Also I found this ftp site > ftp.tuma.ui.edu which has DVD Repos 1-5 for downloading. I have also added these DVD's to my sources.list by opening a terminal
and issue this command sudo apt-cdrom add do this for all 5 DVD's and you will be set.
Keep in mind that in order to keep most things updated you will have to update your packages about every several weeks. I have done this and it works.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also if you want to you can at the same time just creates small update/upgrade scripts
of say selected packages within sysnaptic create the generated script take it to Linux/Windows and is the command as stated above and you can update this way as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This would be really cool if someone could code up an app to do all of this within the app
Linux/windows either online or offline to get your updates depends on how you have your Rigs setup they all vary just find your your way to make it easy for you. And it will work just find my system is updated except one package its audacious older version I have Audacious v1.51 installed and I do not want to downgrade the app so I have not done that update for Audacious since its and older version. Everything else is done
except for updateing my packages to see if I have some updates which I'm doing this right know from a windowsXP machine. See previous post on this > viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2356
hope all this make sense as I'm not coder and still learning more and more on the open source world :) but keep in mind if you have problems come post it here and I will try and help you out. Good luck in your updates ..... This should solve alot of offline or slow net connections issues about updating in offline state.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qiuck P.S. When you do download the packages is this all that is needed from the repos??
besides all the updates what about release.gpg etc... files just the packages is needed I think??

We do need a program to do this which I'm sure someone is bound to be working on
so that it can download all packages and updates all in one package be it either on windows or linux that this software can run on as well as what distro is being used
gusty, hardy, intrepid, etc... 32-bit/64-bit. and in this program you could add more sources to your repos list etc .... and off you go :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry so long and if any typos or if any thing is in correct just trying to help out.
also another FYI is that this site has Repos for purchase > http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/ ... istrowatch :) :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no go try it and let me know here if it worked for you and how lets pull this together
and and make it better maybe a site dedicated to offine updating?? :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the help ....
.... peace

Robert
spd69kcrada
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:56 pm

LeadFingers wrote:That is definitely doing it the hard way.
Synaptic has the capability to do it all for you, pretty much the way you described, using the Script.

Start the update manager
hit the Check button (to make sure the list is fresh)
when it's done, close update manager
open Synaptic
Hit the Mark all Upgrades button
Select File/ Generate Package download script
Take that script to the machine with bandwidth
run the script
copy those packages back to your other computer
open Synaptic
Select File/ Add Downloaded packages

Should do all the updates for you as that's what it's primarily designed for.

I know that. However the part I'm not sure of that way is simple.
Will that also reflect the availability of packages that you didn't mark?
Say 10 packages can be updated/upgraded according to synaptic (off-line pc)
Say there are another 20 packages that are newer than what the off-line pc knows about.

If it's not connected how can it know what's available?
Or does running the script also update the info about all available packages when you use it?
That way it will know about them once you install what you downloaded using the script and you can get them next time you do it.

If that's the case I love it and will pass that along to those that ask about off-line updating.

Educate me... ;)
Thanks
2hot6ft2

Postby TimelessRogue » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:19 am

The method LeadFingers outlined works ... I know, I've used it twice ... and is a piece of cake. And no, the off-line pc will not "know" that there may be other packages available other than those you collected ... you will need to do this again every time you want/need to update the off-line computer. That's just the pita of working off-line ...

But it does work and it can't be any more simple or easy ... why complicate things by "re-inventing the wheel" so to speak ...
"There's nothing I can't do ... only things I won't do!" ... The Rogue

HP Pavilion dv9000ec 17" Widescreen Laptop
OS: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64 w/ 2.6.27-8-generic kernel
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
Memory/Storage: 2 Gigs w/ 2 SCSI 120mb drives - WinVista & Ultimate 2.0 x64
Graphics/Audio: nVidia GeForce 7150/nForce 630M & nVidia MCP67 Hi-Def Audio
Network/Ethernet: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11a/b/g & nVidia MCP67 Ethernet
DVD/CD: Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K17
Other Stuff: Phillips 80w 2.1 ext speakers, Memorex wireless mouse, HP WebCam
TimelessRogue
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate