Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Question: > Creating offline Respostories?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Question: > Creating offline Respostories?

Postby spd69kcrada » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:43 am

Hello Guys/Gals

I was just wondering if there was a way to update system in offline state NO INTERNET Connection? A Tool to grab all files etc ... from the respository from say, the Ultimate Edition v1.9 respository us.archive.ubuntu.com or any other if needed, such as Main ... Multiverse ... Restricted ... Universe or any others in and offline no Net Connection? Is there a software tool to do this - either with a Linux software or a Windows based software? If so that would be great :) I so a tool called AptonCD but I think it will be linux only and have to have a net connection. It would be nice if i could created this through windows burn the CD/DVD ISO's and add those to my respository in offline mode.
Or can I say boot with a Ubuntu 8.04 Gnome Live CD and run the AptonCD and grab all that is needed and then create the ISO's and then addd them. Is this possible or is there another way to do this? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Can this be done?

peace
Robert
spd69kcrada
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Re: Question: > Creating offline Respostories?

Postby LeadFingers » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:38 am

not only is it possible but you have more than one option

1) Packagekit
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/10/09/service-pack-gui/

2) Debmirror
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352460&highlight=updating+off+line
Excellent how-to

3) Synaptic
Prolly the easiest method. assumes you have net access on a machine that also has synaptic or wget.
while it can be done on M$ machine, the script will need to be modified as seen here.
http://beans.seartipy.com/2006/11/03/simple-way-to-update-ubuntu-edgy-with-slowno-internet-connection/
Open synaptic (offline box)
Select mark all upgrades
Select File/ Generate package download script
Name it update.sh and tell it where you want it stored

transfer update.sh to online machine in directory where you want the download stored.
run update.sh and download the packages
transfer downloaded packages to offline machine
open synaptic
select File/ Add downloaded packages
Browse to the folder where you stored the downloaded packages
select Apply
and the packages will be installed from the local folder without the need for a working internet connection on that machine
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9