Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.9 has been released

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.9 has been released

Postby dragonfly » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi pch, thanks for the praise but I think after I tell you what I did you'll probably want to give me a slap on the side of the head. I tried to install IE6 in wine but somehow got it installed in root which I understand is a big mistake. I then tried again and got it installed unto desktop. Anyway neither of them works any better than firefox which I did get installed in wine. Now the problem ---- how do I uninstall IE6 from root and desktop. Sorry for all the hassle but I really am trying to get something that will read the Nova Scotia files.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Anything installed in Wine can just be deleted manually without affecting Linux. You may bugger up Wine but it won't affect anything else. If Wine gets screwed up just re-install it. Hey, I understand your issue. If I really want something, I keep trying(I'm a stubborn old mule!!). There must be someone on the planet that has got this to work. Maybe they will turn up here anytime now!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby tuxsax » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:36 pm

There's a nicer way to uninstall, similar to what you have in Windows.
Go to the main menu, then to Wine->Uninstall Wine Software.
Screenshot.png

Then this window will open
Screenshot-Wine Application Uninstaller.png
Wine Application Uninstaller
Screenshot-Wine Application Uninstaller.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 4974 times

You will see the installed applications there, I don't have any so my list is empty, but I think this is enough to give you the idea...
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby dragonfly » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 am

Hi zivley and pch, I think you misunderstood what I am trying to do, I want to keep what I have in wine. What I am trying to do is uninstall "ies4linux" which I mistakenly installed in "/root/bin/ie6". I believe I should never have installed it there in the first place. To use ie6 I have to open a terminal and type "/root/bin/ie6" minus the quotation marks. I think running a Microsoft product in root is very dangerous, but I don't know how to uninstall it.
I went into /root/bin/ and tried to send ie6 to trash but got the message I didn't have permission to delete it. I need some advice or I will have to re-format my system and that takes a little time
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pch.shot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:15 am

You should be able to remove any linux application using Synaptic Package Manager. This is IE4Linux isn't it?
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby tuxsax » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:06 am

If I remember right, IE4Linux has an uninstall function too, how did you install it and how did it go to /root/bin? did you install it under root shell? In this case, get into the root shell and do the uninstall from there.
U.E. Master

Postby dragonfly » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:37 pm

Hi zivley, you are asking me questions for which I don't know the answers. I just went to the ies4linux and did what I was told to do. While I was installing there was a warning that, installing ies4linux in root was not recommended, but I went on anyway thinking I could always uninstall afterwards. My curiosity just won't let me stop. I cannot find an uninstall on ies4linux and the home page states that this is not necessary as all you have to do is remove the program. That is what I am having trouble with. When I go to "files. root, bin", the only package in there is "ie6", when I right click to send to trash, the "send to trash" command does not appear in my little panel. How do I get into a shell ? that's something new to me.
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby pch.shot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:01 pm

It is called a terminal(old school Linux). Accessories in your main menu. From here you can do anything you want!! i.e. if you want to install a program you type sudo apt-get install wine(or any other program you want). To remove a program sudo apt-get remove wine(or whatever).
Give it a try. I use it all the time. If you really screw things up, just re-install. It's good practice! :)
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby tuxsax » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:37 pm

I hope you've already made use of the command line and/or might been asked to supply your password for administrative tasks, such as installing programs and so.
You can go to the terminal, it's under "Accesories" or just by doing Alt+F2 and then type there
Code: Select all
gnome-terminal

Once there you can go to where the IE6 is installed by doing
Code: Select all
sudo nautilus /root/bin/

or whatever folder the IE6 is in.
Now it will open a folder browser with admin rights, and you will able to delete it.
Just be careful with this kind of stuff, you can make your system unstable by deleting stuff you're not supposed to...

Hope this helps

P.S. Hey pch, don't you feel kinda alone here, seems just you and me here... BTW, nice new avvy.
U.E. Master

Postby dragonfly » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi pch and zivley, I think pch, that you explained the terminal to me a while back and I have been using it ever since. I feel fairly confident when I use it now and actually prefer to use it over other methods. However it would not remove Ie6. When I tried zivley's method my "root/bin/ie6" was displayed and I was able to use the "move to trash" command and get rid of ie6. I am writing these methods down in my little Ubuntu Red Book for future use. You guys are something else for sticking with me and seeing me through these problems. For your info, I went to Viewpoint Media Player website and found out they are working on a Firefox compatible program. Have a great day!! :D
dragonfly
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9