Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.8 32 bit

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: Ultimate Edition 32 bit???

Postby SaddleTramp » Fri May 23, 2008 11:16 pm

nicgom wrote:it did not work, i just restarted the laptop, i also tried to install the ms driver with Wine, but not possible, i get a message that says: there is no hardware for this driver in this equipment.

so i'll keep trying for a couple of days, if nothing happens might reinstall, or is there a big difference betweeen this new version and 1.7, because it worked everything perfect with it.

no i have to go to the university,

Ok nic, that check in Synaptic was just to see if by off chance somehow it might not have gotten installed correctly. I wouldn't say at this point that it's time to consider going back to 1.7 yet. Since I have nVidia and haven't had any problems (unless caused by myself), I'm sure someone here with an Intel video system will be along to provide better clues. In the meantime I will be doing more research myself. Don't give up!!! We haven't, I assure you. :)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby nicgom » Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 am

Thanks again, i just woke up, itÅ› 7:20 here in berlin, even if things keep not working as i want them, i might not go back to 1.7, i would like the visual effects to work, i'm thinking to uninstall compiz and activate the effects than reinstall compiz just to check if it works.

the thing is, my laptop not being a new equipment is flying with 1.8, everything goes realy fast, itÅ› faster than my girlfriend's one and she has a dualcore processor, surfing the internet itÅ› also at least 2 times faster, don't know if this has anything to do with the new Firefox, or the system.
i hope i/we can silve this little and curio problems with the visual effects.

i wanted to install my Voipdiscount soft to make phonecalls, there is no linux version so i tried wine, it installs it, but when i start the programm i get a report that it has crashed, has anybody successfully instaled and used any soft like this, or voipstunt, internetcalls, all of them are from the same company.

what happened with Automatix, i don see it anywhre in the system?

well, thanks again, i know i make a lot of questions, some might be stupid i just need this system to fullfil my work and study needs to forget completly about ms.and then be free
nicgom
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby DaddyX3 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:51 pm

nicgom wrote:Thanks again, i just woke up, itÅ› 7:20 here in berlin, even if things keep not working as i want them, i might not go back to 1.7, i would like the visual effects to work, i'm thinking to uninstall compiz and activate the effects than reinstall compiz just to check if it works.

the thing is, my laptop not being a new equipment is flying with 1.8, everything goes realy fast, itÅ› faster than my girlfriend's one and she has a dualcore processor, surfing the internet itÅ› also at least 2 times faster, don't know if this has anything to do with the new Firefox, or the system.

i wanted to install my Voipdiscount soft to make phonecalls, there is no linux version so i tried wine, it installs it, but when i start the programm i get a report that it has crashed, has anybody successfully instaled and used any soft like this, or voipstunt, internetcalls, all of them are from the same company.

well, thanks again, i know i make a lot of questions, some might be stupid i just need this system to fullfil my work and study needs to forget completly about ms.and then be free

I've been windows free for a while now, but not because *nix has every computer program Windows has, but because I've changed my computing needs. There are programs in Windows that blow the doors off any *nix counter part, but you have to realize that if you are running these high end programs ... its part of your profession and in the professional world, Microsoft still holds 98% of market share. This will take some time to "repair". I hope this "repair" comes soon. I think it is time for people all over the world to become a community and what better place to start than with a *nix distro :?:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat May 24, 2008 3:29 pm

nicgom wrote:Thanks again, i just woke up, itÅ› 7:20 here in berlin, even if things keep not working as i want them, i might not go back to 1.7, i would like the visual effects to work, i'm thinking to uninstall compiz and activate the effects than reinstall compiz just to check if it works.

Hi nic, don't mean to take so long to reply...just researching every nook & cranny ;) I can find on your problem of Vis Effects...If everything installed correctly on your system (obviously with the exception of your problem), all I can see right now is maybe the 32Mb of shared Video mem may be the problem...but I haven't confirmed this yet. For Automatix, did you run the Upgrade icon on your desktop?? If you don't want to install the whole upgrade, you can select 'Custom' and pick whatever you would like to install...think I remember Automatix being in there...for VOIP, there is also SKYPE, that is under Synaptic...your idea of disabling Compiz, I take it that before installing Compiz you were able to select 'Normal' or 'Extra' under Vis Effects...is this correct?? ...also before you disable Compiz, could you cut & paste xorg.conf and post it here...
Open Terminal; type - gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf ... don't change anything there yet ... close gedit, then in Terminal type - glxgears and let me know what you see (if anything)...you should see something within a couple of seconds... Anyone else in forum that may have or had a similar problem with enabling Visual Effects with the Intel 855GM video chipset feel free to jump in with any ideas or solutions ... or even anyone that don't have the Intel 855GM chipset.. :D

Edit: BTW...there's no such thing as STUPID questions !! ;)
Edit: Found this also...if you haven't done any of the above yet, do this first:
this is prolly putting the cart in front of the horse, but if you've already done the above, then lastly go here and download Compiz-Check : http://forlong.blogage.de/article/pages/Compiz-Check .. scroll down the page until you see this:
Compiz-Check.png
Click & download Compiz-Check_0.4-1_all.deb
...download it to your desktop...then right click on it, click "Open with GDebi Package Installer"...click on 'Install Package"...then open a terminal & run by typing: compiz-check copy & paste results back here...should look similar to this:

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution: Ubuntu 8.04
Desktop environment: GNOME
Graphics chip: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
Driver in use: nvidia
Rendering method: Nvidia

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap... [ OK ]
Checking for non power of two support... [ OK ]
Checking for composite extension... [ OK ]
Checking for FBConfig... [ OK ]
Checking for hardware/setup problems... [ OK ]
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby nicgom » Sat May 24, 2008 5:56 pm

hi, thanks for your efforts, this is what i get when i execute the compiz check, i did the upgrqade, i chose Ultimate Ubuntu from the thre available options ( gamers edition and custom where also there)

i have already skype, but doesn't work for me, i'll keep trying, there is also ekiga, which i still haven't work with, i will try it.
i did also this:
Open Terminal; type - gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf ... don't change anything there yet ... close gedit, then in Terminal type - glxgears and let me know what you see (if anything)...you should see something within a couple of seconds...

a window opened and i saw an ensamblement og gears in three diferent colours rotating, and on the terminal:
nicgom@nicgom-laptop:~$ glxgears
1798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 359.450 FPS
1866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 373.131 FPS
1868 frames in 5.0 seconds = 373.483 FPS
1865 frames in 5.0 seconds = 372.959 FPS
1856 frames in 5.0 seconds = 371.037 FPS
and so on

I take it that before installing Compiz you were able to select 'Normal' or 'Extra' under Vis Effects...is this correct?? .

Yes, and there is where the problem beginns, i try to select "Extra", but then i get the following message:
Desktop effects coul not be enabled.

the compiz check gave me this information:

Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: AIGLX

itÅ› a little bit frustrating but i'm still happy with the system, altough fi it wored with 1.7 why not with 1.8, this is where i don't get it.

thanks a lot for your interest Saddle Tramp, i don#t know how to make it shorter ( your nickname).
nicgom
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat May 24, 2008 6:09 pm

nicgom wrote:hi, thanks for your efforts, this is what i get when i execute the compiz check, i did the upgrqade, i chose Ultimate Ubuntu from the thre available options ( gamers edition and custom where also there)

i have already skype, but doesn't work for me, i'll keep trying, there is also ekiga, which i still haven't work with, i will try it.
i did also this:
Open Terminal; type - gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf ... don't change anything there yet ... close gedit, then in Terminal type - glxgears and let me know what you see (if anything)...you should see something within a couple of seconds...

a window opened and i saw an ensamblement og gears in three diferent colours rotating, and on the terminal:
nicgom@nicgom-laptop:~$ glxgears
1798 frames in 5.0 seconds = 359.450 FPS
1866 frames in 5.0 seconds = 373.131 FPS
1868 frames in 5.0 seconds = 373.483 FPS
1865 frames in 5.0 seconds = 372.959 FPS
1856 frames in 5.0 seconds = 371.037 FPS
and so on

I take it that before installing Compiz you were able to select 'Normal' or 'Extra' under Vis Effects...is this correct?? .

Yes, and there is where the problem beginns, i try to select "Extra", but then i get the following message:
Desktop effects coul not be enabled.

the compiz check gave me this information:

Graphics chip: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
Driver in use: intel
Rendering method: AIGLX

itÅ› a little bit frustrating but i'm still happy with the system, altough fi it wored with 1.7 why not with 1.8, this is where i don't get it.

thanks a lot for your interest Saddle Tramp, i don#t know how to make it shorter ( your nickname).

Dangit...my mind was getting to far ahead of my fingers...when I had you open xorg.conf, meant to tell you to copy & paste it here...sorry nic...I was hoping in all this to be able to narrow this critter down...what you've posted so far all seems to be working and should, IMO, not be causing troubles...if you don't mind, would you still copy & paste your xorg.conf....if all checks out there...then it may be for you to remove & reinstall compiz or, man I hope it don't get this far, try reinstalling 1.8 again...but not yet...searching through other forums with similar problems it seem the 855GM is causing problems for a lot of people...some of them get it corrected just out of the blue with same solutions others are trying but not getting anything resolved...sincerely hope to get yours cured...maybe someone will see or know something I haven't covered yet and will jump in here :) BTW, np with my nick :mrgreen:
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby nicgom » Sat May 24, 2008 6:20 pm

this is my xorg.conf:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

i hope you can see what i don't,
nicgom
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat May 24, 2008 7:54 pm

nicgom wrote:this is my xorg.conf:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

i hope you can see what i don't,

OK, now PLEASE, under System/Admin, click on 'Hardware Drivers' (or 'Restricted Hardware Drivers' if that's what is there) and let me know what you see there...and BTW...Thank You for Your patience in all of this :)
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby nicgom » Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 pm

i will have all the patience of the world, i know this si not the easiest, i checked hardware drivers and got the following:

no propietary drivers are in use on this system

i tried to install the ms driver with wine, but did'nt work

thanks
nicgom
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat May 24, 2008 9:15 pm

nicgom wrote:i will have all the patience of the world, i know this si not the easiest, i checked hardware drivers and got the following:

no propietary drivers are in use on this system

i tried to install the ms driver with wine, but did'nt work

thanks

nic, I think we've finally hit on your problem...although compiz-check is picking up on your intel chipset, it's not installed as shown by xorg.conf. Check Sysnaptic again, this time do a search for mesa...libgl1-mesa-dri & libgl1-mesa-glx should be installed (-dbg not needed as well as your xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg).
If you right click & select properties on the xxx-intel driver pkg in Synaptics, then select 'Dependencies', it shows the Dependent, Suggested, and Conflicting packages for the driver. It doesn't show mesa pkg but mesa is required for 3d. This isn't exactly what your xorg.conf should look like, but is similar showing the Intel driver is installed:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "i810"
VendorName "Intel Corp."
BoardName "82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
Screen 0
Option "DisplayInfo" "FALSE"
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
Option "NoAccel" "false"
EndSection

There is a Linux section for downloading Intel drivers on the Intel site: http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html . However, their package needs to be compiled, so not sure if you're comfortable with that...and they do state that the drivers are readily available from the local repos (as listed in Synaptics), so I think you have the drivers, but we got to get them into xorg.conf properly..
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8