Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Tips and tricks for Netflix

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Tips and tricks for Netflix

Postby Tool » Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 am

Hello all my fellow Linux friends. I apologize if this is the wrong forum and please move if it is. I just wanted to give a couple tips to Netflix users on Linux. Since Netflix is not yet native to Linux, it doesn't always run flawless. I myself have noticed different behavior on diff distros. 1 specific that I have noticed with Ubuntu based platforms is that sometimes when you click on a show, the screen goes black and never loads forcing you to quit and try again. Well, I have noticed that if you exit out of full screen (F11) and then choose your show, it will load perfect every time (Or at least it has for me). And then as soon as your show is loaded, go back to full screen. A couple other distros I have tried had jumpy frame rate even with a high speed connection. Just thought I would throw that out there for other Netflix users to ease the experience.

Thanks guys. :D
HP m7277c PC, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 3.00GHz dual core Pentium D
Geforce 210 Silent Graphics card w/1GB
2x300 GB SATA HDD's (No RAID) LG & HP DVD burners

HP Pavilion dv4 Entertainment PC (Laptop)
2.10 dual core AMD Turion X2
ATI Radeon HD 3200, DVD Burner, Wifi, Bluetooth
QL Touch controls, Altec Lansing onboard speakers

Rooted LG Motion 4G, 1.5GHz dual core
1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

MetroPCS ZTE Z730 Concord 2
Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Tips and tricks for Netflix

Postby Xanayoshi » Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 am

Tool wrote:Hello all my fellow Linux friends. I apologize if this is the wrong forum and please move if it is. I just wanted to give a couple tips to Netflix users on Linux. Since Netflix is not yet native to Linux, it doesn't always run flawless. I myself have noticed different behavior on diff distros. 1 specific that I have noticed with Ubuntu based platforms is that sometimes when you click on a show, the screen goes black and never loads forcing you to quit and try again. Well, I have noticed that if you exit out of full screen (F11) and then choose your show, it will load perfect every time (Or at least it has for me). And then as soon as your show is loaded, go back to full screen. A couple other distros I have tried had jumpy frame rate even with a high speed connection. Just thought I would throw that out there for other Netflix users to ease the experience.

Have you loaded an Ubuntu lately?

There might be a very good reason there wasn't a push for Netflix support.

It's like...a Rain Forest.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Tool » Thu May 02, 2013 1:53 am

Xanayoshi wrote:
Tool wrote:Hello all my fellow Linux friends. I apologize if this is the wrong forum and please move if it is. I just wanted to give a couple tips to Netflix users on Linux. Since Netflix is not yet native to Linux, it doesn't always run flawless. I myself have noticed different behavior on diff distros. 1 specific that I have noticed with Ubuntu based platforms is that sometimes when you click on a show, the screen goes black and never loads forcing you to quit and try again. Well, I have noticed that if you exit out of full screen (F11) and then choose your show, it will load perfect every time (Or at least it has for me). And then as soon as your show is loaded, go back to full screen. A couple other distros I have tried had jumpy frame rate even with a high speed connection. Just thought I would throw that out there for other Netflix users to ease the experience.

Have you loaded an Ubuntu lately?

There might be a very good reason there wasn't a push for Netflix support.

It's like...a Rain Forest.

I abandoned Ubuntu last year when they did the 12.10. I had my PC set up so nice with tons of packages and custom configures and what not. The update manager offered me to 12.10 and aarrrrggghhhh. LOL. I tried re installing the 12.04, but was riddles with issues. My experience was the behavior of Netflix on this distro of Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 bit. When I had SolusOS it wouldn't even run most of the time and when it did, was very jumpy. My smoothest Netflix experience was with Fuduntu, but they became unstable and are discontinuing. I have noticed the same behavior I am experiencing now with other Ubuntu based distros though and just discovered this little flaw that saves headaches, so I thought I would share. :D

1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby nascar59 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 am

yes i love my netflix too and it ran good lately till i had to upgrade to NEW SILVERLIGHT( its impossible do to any thing after you get that MESSAGE) from NETFLIX then could go nowwhere that was it then find this small trick after you install netflix- desktop from apt-get or synaptic and make sure you got the latest with microsoft silverlight I THINK IT'S 5 SOME THING go in terminal and type this (rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser)this will cause your netflix to reinstall itself and it work for me every time has i had to do a few time and now work just like before i got linux regal Titan Lts with ubuntu 12.04 and the latest microsoft silverlight sorry guys did not like Ultimate edition 3.5 with Kde could not get use to it even do it ran great just love gnome desktop so waiting for 3.6 and am a contributor so just to tell you how much i love Ultimate Edition still use 3.4 on my older pc so hope this samll trick help some one.Ray
nascar59
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Tool » Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm

nascar59 wrote:yes i love my netflix too and it ran good lately till i had to upgrade to NEW SILVERLIGHT( its impossible do to any thing after you get that MESSAGE) from NETFLIX then could go nowwhere that was it then find this small trick after you install netflix- desktop from apt-get or synaptic and make sure you got the latest with microsoft silverlight I THINK IT'S 5 SOME THING go in terminal and type this (rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser)this will cause your netflix to reinstall itself and it work for me every time has i had to do a few time and now work just like before i got linux regal Titan Lts with ubuntu 12.04 and the latest microsoft silverlight sorry guys did not like Ultimate edition 3.5 with Kde could not get use to it even do it ran great just love gnome desktop so waiting for 3.6 and am a contributor so just to tell you how much i love Ultimate Edition still use 3.4 on my older pc so hope this samll trick help some one.Ray

Can you remove, then re install Netflix? I just installed and it's running fine besides the small glitches I mentioned. However, I will mention that I have done an upgrade on my 3.5. My other PC wouldn't work with Netflix until I did the sudo apt-get upgrade. I am in no way recommending that you do an upgrade though as it could cause issues. Mine runs great so far though. The upgrade did disable the wobbly windows and transparent windows and I have not bothered trying to get them going again cause they are not so important to me.

1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby nascar59 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:35 pm

yes you can remove netflix true synaptic Manager or terminal ur choice and then reinstall but after that seem like it's still did not work right like before ,that's why i did find that trick of (rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser) then you just click on ur netflix-desktop then it work great for me and it took a couple of time do but you know not all thing are the same this is working great for me may not work for you but cost nothing to try but if it is working good for you i would not touch nothing that my 2 cent.Ray
nascar59
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Tool » Fri May 03, 2013 11:50 pm

nascar59 wrote:yes you can remove netflix true synaptic Manager or terminal ur choice and then reinstall but after that seem like it's still did not work right like before ,that's why i did find that trick of (rm -Rf ~/.wine-browser) then you just click on ur netflix-desktop then it work great for me and it took a couple of time do but you know not all thing are the same this is working great for me may not work for you but cost nothing to try but if it is working good for you i would not touch nothing that my 2 cent.Ray

I found this regarding your silverlight update friend. Might wanna verify before using though. It's new

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ ... ht_update/

Of course, I think it might be what you've already done

I hope that helps

1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby ryanvade » Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 am

Apparently, some "build it yourself" Linux distros are having great success with Netflix. Arch especially. Fedora seems to be nice as well. Even Slackware seems to be doing well.

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Tool » Sat May 04, 2013 1:51 am

ryanvade wrote:Apparently, some "build it yourself" Linux distros are having great success with Netflix. Arch especially. Fedora seems to be nice as well. Even Slackware seems to be doing well.

I personally had awesome success when I had Fuduntu. It apparently became unstable though as they are stopping it. I would like to see their new version they said to have in the works though. I haven't had any real issues with playing Netflix yet, just a jitter here or there.

1GB RAM, 8GB ROM

Tool
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Return to Newbie's Corner