Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Free Software Foundation on distros that are 100% free

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Free Software Foundation on distros that are 100% free

Postby starlight » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:52 pm

I am a long time computer user and fairly new to the world of Linux and right-off-the-bat I discovered two worlds withing Linux distros.

World #1

The Fee Software Foundation (started by Richard Stallman and creator of the GNU Project) recommends only a handful of distros that actually support the movement of providing 100% free software (free as in freedom and NOT free beer). Free meaning a distro that does not contain any binary "blobs" and non-free software.

See:
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
http://www.gnu.org/distros/
http://www.fsf.org/resources/

World #2
All other distros that include binary blobs and non-free software supposedly to make certain functions on the GNU/Linux distro work (to my understanding).

Review of both worlds
Although I can see the reasoning behind both worlds, I'm not sure if this is a deciding factor when choosing a Linux distro. Sure the 100% free movement may work in theory but if Linux is still behind in the desktop functionality world I'd like to be able to load a distro that can actually compete (somewhat) with windows. Any thoughts on this please?

My criteria when choosing a distro is that I prefer it to be USA based (if possible - for English based communications). This led me to discover Ultimate-Edition.

Thank you

Although I support this movement, I'm confused as to what problems I may face by installing such distros as gNewSense or Trisquel in that I may limit the functionality of my system as my abi
starlight
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: Free Software Foundation on distros that are 100% free

Postby Micro » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:58 pm

non-free is a factor depending on the hardware and software you plan on using. And pretty much has become mainstream when using newer GPU's. As far as competing with windows, there is only one possible advantage using windows, and that would be pc gaming. So if your not much of a windows-pc-gamer, you will miss nothing. Windows is not even close to being a competitor as far as system, service, security,and functionality (to keep it short). And thanks to developers like Ultimate Edition, creating a user friendly distro that has superb support for drivers, bug squashing and appearence (to keep it even shorter). Not to mention the forum, which is a open knowlege base of its own. Ultimate Edition and OZ have some great distros to choose from. I promise you will not be dissapointed...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0