Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Upgrade messed up my system

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Upgrade messed up my system

Postby macron » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:04 am

Hi just wondering if anybody can help me I installed Ultimate Linux 2.9 32 bit yesterday and was extremely pleased with it That was until i updated everything which took about 5 hours ? Now i have a completely different interface/desktop I now have a vertical column of program icons down the left hand side It looks like Ubuntu 11 What have i done wrong and how do i get Ultimate 2.9 back I have updated loads of distros before Mint etc and never had my whole system change Really gone of Ultimate Regards Ronnie
macron
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Re: Upgrade messed up my system

Postby kiwinsn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:10 am

Hi Ronnie, and welcome to the forum.

What you have experienced is a DIST (distribution) upgrade, which completely wipes ALL the Ultimate Edition customisations.

If you wish to go back to what you had, back up your home folder, and reinstall, the way you did the first time.

Alternatively, have a look around and download the latest 3.01 32bit. The links are on the forum, and also on sourceforege.

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby macron » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:33 am

Well an upgrade that changes the look and feel of the complete system Seems a bit pointless I installed Ultimate because I liked the look and feel of it As i said I have upgraded Mint and other linux distros and my system look etc never changed it would not have been so bad if it had not been such a radical change It like going from black to white I have it installed on this other laptop as well With the original look and Im just going to upgrade it and if it changes to the Ubuntu look Ultimate is history Im a complete Newbie and really cannot be bothered moving saving folders or whatever to get my system back I just want a system that works WITHOUT any messing about with it.Is there anything i can untick in the update to stop it doing this.

Many thanks Ronnie
macron
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:43 pm

macron wrote:Well an upgrade that changes the look and feel of the complete system Seems a bit pointless I installed Ultimate because I liked the look and feel of it As i said I have upgraded Mint and other linux distros and my system look etc never changed it would not have been so bad if it had not been such a radical change It like going from black to white I have it installed on this other laptop as well With the original look and Im just going to upgrade it and if it changes to the Ubuntu look Ultimate is history Im a complete Newbie and really cannot be bothered moving saving folders or whatever to get my system back I just want a system that works WITHOUT any messing about with it.Is there anything i can untick in the update to stop it doing this.

Many thanks Ronnie

Ultimate Edition has a particular way of doing things, and if you are an experienced Linux user you know that "some assembly" is required. We were all newbies, when I started on this forum some 1000+ messages ago, and still now, there are a lot of actions that filled me with dread. But Linux is not Windows. Windows is a large inefficient easy to use Cadillac, Linux is a sports car that comes with a big tool pouch... why? because it's for tinkerers. Even Ultimate Edition and Mint and others who are as turnkey as possible.

This being said,if your not will to "mess" around, there isn't much we can do for you
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Return to Newbie's Corner