Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate 3.01 & Uefi

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Ultimate 3.01 & Uefi

Postby hewjr100 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Currently have a new system and just downloaded Ultimate 3.01. Will there be any problems installing it on my system with Uefi boot

Henry
HP Pavillion 15-bc220nr
12 GB Ram 1TB HDD.
7th Gen. Intel i5 2.5 Ghz Quad Core.
Intel 630 Graphics & Nvidia Gtx 1050 Graphics 4 GB.
hewjr100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: Ultimate 3.01 & Uefi

Postby Pinksta » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello, i haven't run across any. Just built a box with an ASUS P9X79 mobo w/ UEFI; got a dual boot going, no problems
Pinksta

Ultimate Edition 3.2 x64 (finally solved install bugs) - lovin' it :)
Intel i7 3960x 3.3 GHz x6 cores
ASUS P9X79 MB
48GB Corsair 2800 DDR3 memory
ATI Radeon HD 7970
OCZ Vertex3 240 240 raid 120 single
Pinksta
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Billie Cowie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi hewjr100,
HP have been using UEFI for a while, as do some Applemac computers. however, contrary to what you may have heard or read, this doesn't mean Linux will be "locked-out". That was only ever an issue with Windows8 and even then only on some arm-devices. I have an HP with UEFI and dual-boot with U.E.3.0.1 and Multimedia Dream2 so you shouldn't have any problems. If you do just get back on the forum and someone will be able to advise you. :D
Last edited by Billie Cowie on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby hewjr100 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Actually I did yesterday and I installed over windows 7 and when I rebooted the system acted like I had no os installed. Disabled uefi in bios setup tried again and got same result. Ultimate will go thru the entire install, kick-out cd and reboot...no error messages, but on reboot no os found?. Fyi this system, i don't think incorporates secure boot. I beleive however that kernel 3.0 or higher is needed

Henry
HP Pavillion 15-bc220nr
12 GB Ram 1TB HDD.
hewjr100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Billie Cowie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello hewjr100,
UEFI and secure-boot are not (to the best of my knowledge ) the same thing. I am open to correction on that but as I understand it UEFI is capable of enabling secure-boot, but it is not an automatic process. I doubt UEFI is responsible for anything. The BIOS settings to install Ultimate Edition would need to be set to boot from CD/DVD drive to install Ultimate Edition anyway. This should not in any way affect UEFI.
Could you clarify exactly what you did?
Do you mean you installed Ultimate Edition " alongside " Windows7 ?
You say you installed over it, which implies you either intentionally ,or accidentally erased Windows7 from your hard-drive and gave over the hard-drive exclusively to Ultimate Edition ?
Which is it?
Did you allow Ubiquity to automatically reconfigure your hard-drive or erase it?
Please explain exactly the steps you took to install Ultimate Edition before we go any further.Was this an automatic or a manual install with a manually created mount-point, and boot option.
What do you see when you boot up and is there any text on the screen?
I am presuming it is a black screen with writing and a prompt.
Please confirm exactly what you see at start-up.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby hewjr100 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:38 am

At this time I am not trying to dual boot any distro with windows 7 on this system. I have successfully installed both fedora 17 and ubuntu 12.04 Alpha on this system, but using the same method..installing from cd default options using entire with ultimate 3.0.1 yields an error at reboot similar to no os found on disk. I understand the difference between uefi and secure boot, that is why I stated this system does not have secure boot, just uefi. As stated I am not doing a custom install just insert cd answer when prompted and wait till it finishes and reboots.

Henry
HP Pavillion 15-bc220nr
12 GB Ram 1TB HDD.
hewjr100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Billie Cowie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:01 am

Hello hewjr100,
sorry but I don't really follow what you are doing.
I suggest you go through some of the how-to/help posts on the forum to see if you can find one which highlights the nature of the problem and it's possible solution.
Either that or start a new post where the question you want answered is more clearly defined in the posts heading and an admin should respond.
I am not an admin so the advice I can offer is limited.
I don't understand the reference to " no os " on cd. :(

p.s. Blackwolf who is the main admin on this site also runs the OZ forum. You can also get help and advice there and there are more people available to give experienced help.If you haven't registered there yet, you should consider it anyway as there is a lot there to explore.
Sorry I can't be more help.Good luck!
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby hewjr100 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Let me clarify when I install ultimate edition from CD with default settings...not a custom install the cd installs properly ejects cd then prompts you to remove cd and hit enter. When the computer reboots to C:\ drive it prompts with message no OPERATING system found or simliar message, I do not believe I said no os (operating system) found on cd. That would be odd for any operating system to install itself onto its own install media.

Let us put it this way ultimate edition 3.01 installs completely onto the HDD, but I believe kernel 2.x does not have files to account for uefi. As previously stated fedora 16, 17 & ubuntu 11.10, 12.04 all with kernel 3.0 and higher have something in place for uefi to "see" and boot said distros. I noticed that fedora even has a new /boot/efi/EFI/ or similar folder and or directory with what seems to be a redhat version of grub for uefi and I can modify it just like I grub legacy. Ultimate does not have this nor can I boot into it to see if it does.

If I am not explaining this right than can somebody else explain it.

Henry
HP Pavillion 15-bc220nr
12 GB Ram 1TB HDD.
hewjr100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Billie Cowie » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello hewjr100,
sorry for the misunderstanding.
Like I said in my last post I think you need someone like Blackwolf to solve the issue.Although he is the main admin here he also runs OZ forum and I would advise you contact him there.If he can't find the solution I doubt anyone can! :D
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Postby hewjr100 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for your help, will keep trying. Will try installing from live and see what happens.

Henry
HP Pavillion 15-bc220nr
12 GB Ram 1TB HDD.
hewjr100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Newbie's Corner