Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

'Ubuntu Tweak' Program Question [SOLVED]

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Postby erko » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:47 pm

In MS Windows I am used to a daily routine of cleaning-out, among other things, '.tmp' files.

In Ultimate Edition v/ 3.0 I recently got into "Ubuntu Tweak" (v/ 0.5.14). Upon getting into the "Package Cleaner" link, I notice the following buttons: "Clean Packages", "Clean Cache", "Clean Config", "Clean Kernels" & "Purge PPAs".

Is there anything in there (those buttons) that I need to routinely clean-out? If so, what?

If not there, is there anywhere else that I should be scrutinizing for cleaning-out junk files? If so, what files should I routinely (and safely) clean-out?

Thank you in advance! :)
Last edited by erko on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
erko
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Re: 'Ubuntu Tweak' Program Question

Postby INX » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:13 pm

G'day erko,
First off, Linux does not generate the multitude of temp/bloat files that M$ does...so the daily ritual is unnecessary.

Ubuntu Tweak is great and all you need to "clean" a Linux box.
Packages is the old and updated packages ...safe to clean
Cache is just that ....safe to clean
Config is bits and pieces left over from installed and configured apps.....old deb packages and what-have-you ...safe to clean.
Kernels ...DO NOT remove the kernel that you are operating in ...you may want to keep the one below that as a back-up (I do not)...all the rest are safe to clean.
PPAs....careful...I do NOT touch them here....rather do that in the update manager settings.

Hope this helps mate.. :vil2_viking
INX
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby erko » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Thankx, "INX!"

I figured there wouldn't be near the bloat in Linux as in MS Windows. I just wanted to confirm my next movements in 'Ubuntu Tweak.'

It's a done deal - I just got rid the minor stuff.

So, onward . . .

Thank you, again, 'INX!' :)
erko
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Return to Newbie's Corner