Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

New hardware, nVidia and Firefox questions

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Re: New hardware, nVidia and Firefox questions

Postby ozone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Well I did exactly what you said above (I was very careful) and now it won't let me log into Linux. I hope that wasn't the intent. So does that mean I now have to dig up that 1000 character long password I copied down somewhere to get back into my computer?
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby ozone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:31 pm

I was able to get in using the safe mode. Once in, I commented out the changes you had me make, one by one and it was editing the fstab that did it. I can now log in normally. Of course, Firefox is still crap to use. By the bye, Chromium isn't any better, they both leave me timed out occasionally or are just sluggish, sometimes they don't seem to work at all. If I commented out the changes in the terminal, should I do something with the variable that was created in Firefox? Also, it may be possible I entered the fstab commands wrong. In your example the next line looked indented, so I did that when I entered it. The first change I made was to put it on the same line and separate it with a space, but this did not help.
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby ozone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Ok, so I lost internet connection for unknown reasons for quite a while and just went back to windows. I have a Fedora box elsewhere in the house and restored the internet connection by telling it to ignore ipv6 in the network settings. So I tried that on this machine and what do you know, it worked again. Unfortunately, it's as slow as ever, sometimes timing out when I try to go to Google. If I can't solve this, I'm ditching this for good.

I tried a live CD of Fedora 15 and the internet was slow with that too. Is that normal with a live CD or does linux just not like my hardware?

I really could use some help getting my internet running at reasonable speeds.

Thanks.
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:41 am

Sorry coming into this late.

Give me the well laid out clean details

Hardware - os tried thus far - issues

I'll stick with ya, see if we can get ya fixed up.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby ozone » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm looking forward to making Linux my primary OS.

Hardware:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD3P-B3 Motherboard
Core i7 2600K CPU
8 GB RAM
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX570 superclocked video card
2x 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD drives
1x 300 GB Velociraptor HDD
1x 150 GB Raptor HDD

One SSD drive has Linux on it and the other has Windows 7. The mechanical drives were from my previous computer and I use them for data now to keep the writes down on the SSD's. As far as Modem equipment goes, I'm just using the on-board ethernet plugged into my router, which is plugged into the cable modem.

OS's tried:
Just Ultimate edition.2.6.
I loaded it on in a former life and liked it, so when I decided to switch to linux I went back to it. The internet was always slow on linux but normal on Windows, but when I ran the upgrades it cut off my internet altogether. After a while I reloaded it. The internet was slow again and I just didn't allow it to upgrade. Then one day I went to use it and I was disconnected again. So like I said, I stopped using it. Recently I was working on the Fedora powered HTPC in the living room and found that I broke the internet by turning IPv6 to automatic, so I checked my main computer, saw that it was on automatic, switched it to "ignore" and it started working again. Now I'm back to using Linux, but the internet is still slow. It's erratic though. When I first start using it, it may run fine, then I click on something and it won't go there, just times out. Then I'll try a different site and it might go there, but really slowly. Basically surfing sucks. Windows surfing works just fine.
Oh yeah, and I tried uplugging the computer, holding down the start button to dissipate residual charge. That seemed to make a lot of things run faster, but it never lasts..

Issues:
I think that's it.
It took a while to figure out how to fix the bootloader (both windows and grub) when I reloaded Ultimate Edition and it took a while to figure out how to load the nVidia drivers, but other than the internet, I think everything is working.

Hope that covers it. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 pm

WAY to new of a build for 2.6.

Ultimate Edition 3.0 and 3.2 will be ideal.

until there released , try Destined.

get ya by till we have them out.

latest build of destined is 13 hours out.

hang tight.

Ultimate Edition 3.2 and destined will support your board and GPU and CPU in full .
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Smoochy47 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey Ozone, just a heads up in case you didn't pick up on it in your research. When updating your kernel, make sure you check first to see if nvidia has updated the driver for it. Nvidia is a bit slow when it comes to keeping up with Linux. If you do your updates and find that your nvidia card or chipset isnt working, then you may have updated the kernel without realising it. I have an nvidia 8200m 256 meg card on my laptop and i ran into that problem before. I learned to update certain drivers and software specifically so I could keep everything working together. BTW, I don't know if it works this way for your machine, but my card went from 256 megs in Windows 7 to 512 in Ultimate Edition 2.9. It worked much better and faster with Linux. I guess thats partially due to not having so many processes running as is normal for Windohs! Hope this helps a little. At least it should give you a heads up or reminder. Seeya! :D
Smoochy47
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Newbie's Corner