Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate 2,9 and Firefox 4

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Ultimate 2,9 and Firefox 4

Postby baltimorebytes » Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Hey all. I'm still pretty new to Linux so I'm trying to be careful. I think I'd like to update my FF to 4.0. Are there any issues I should be aware of? What are the best ways to make the update?
D
baltimorebytes
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate 2,9 and Firefox 4

Postby gjringo » Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 am

Hi, baltimorebytes.
Don`t need to worry about issues , just keep your current firefox installed and simply trial firefox 4 without installing it by downloading the firefox 4 current (stable) tar.bz2(compressed file) from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/.
Locate downloaded file,right click, select Extract Here,open the extracted folder which will simply be named firefox, read the README.txt and then locate the firefox shell script simply labelled firefox, left double click,select run and there you have it!
You can make a short cut link by right click file, select links,select copy to desktop, etc.
This way your system is not changed and you can install later if desired.
"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."
Carroll Quigley, 'Tragedy and Hope'

KUBUNTU : 13.10
OS4 OpenLinux 13.7 KDE
nOS 1.5
Intel P45 Quad 9550 @2.83GHz
Intergrated Audio-Realtek ALC888 4GB DDR2
WD 500GB main drive WD320GB external drive
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB
BenQ G2410 HD display Altec Lansing 5.1 sound
2 Cor 13:14
gjringo
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby baltimorebytes » Thu May 26, 2011 4:37 pm

gjringo wrote:Hi, baltimorebytes.
Don`t need to worry about issues , just keep your current firefox installed and simply trial firefox 4 without installing it by downloading the firefox 4 current (stable) tar.bz2(compressed file) from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/.
Locate downloaded file,right click, select Extract Here,open the extracted folder which will simply be named firefox, read the README.txt and then locate the firefox shell script simply labelled firefox, left double click,select run and there you have it!
You can make a short cut link by right click file, select links,select copy to desktop, etc.

Thank you for the assist- I do have one thing to ask. I still have the default 3.6 link/icons in my programs list and on my panel. When I click, they open 3.6. In windows they would have been updated to FF4 during the update. When I open the links which are in my YARSSR, they open with FF4.How do I create a panel icon for FF4. I dont seem to be able to locate the FF4 application. Thanks
baltimorebytes
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby gjringo » Thu May 26, 2011 7:48 pm

baltimorebytes wrote:When I open the links which are in my YARSSR, they open with FF4.How do I create a panel icon for FF4. I dont seem to be able to locate the FF4 application. Thanks

Yassr links are determined by, and can be changed in yassr preferences (right click yassr panel icon)
you may have selected to make firefox 4 the default browser upon first activation of it. This can be altered here or in "Preferred Applications" via menu---System>Preferences.

To locate the firefox 4 compressed file you need to know where you downloaded it to, from your browser (default is home folder/Downloads)

"Installed applications" can be found via menu ---Places>Computer>File System>usr>share>applications.To create a panel icon --right click unused section of panel then...>Add to Panel>Application Launcher("Copy a launcher from the applications menu) select Forward, choose application and select Add.
However the downloaded firefox 4 compressed/extracted file(s) are not installed unless you choose to do so, they are simply sitting where you placed them.
Sorry for the long winded answer, I am not sure of your present know how.
"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."
Carroll Quigley, 'Tragedy and Hope'

KUBUNTU : 13.10
OS4 OpenLinux 13.7 KDE
nOS 1.5
Intel P45 Quad 9550 @2.83GHz
Intergrated Audio-Realtek ALC888 4GB DDR2
WD 500GB main drive WD320GB external drive
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB
BenQ G2410 HD display Altec Lansing 5.1 sound
2 Cor 13:14
gjringo
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby Driver » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 pm

gjringo wrote:Hi, baltimorebytes.

That gives you Firefox 8 now. Which is ok, I suppose, as it's supposed to be stable. You can put the tab bar back where it belongs (and properly set the option that tells Firefox not to display a tab bar when you've only got one web page open :rolleyes: ) and probably get used to the NoScripts icon being at the top instead of handily in the bottom right-hand corner. But I have not figured out how to recover the status bar. Which is only a problem if you are accustomed to having a clue as far as what the browser is doing, whether it is actually looking for that link you clicked on or if you missed the button (or it's a page that tries to run 15 different scripts and it's not even trying because you didn't give permission to the 7 tracking scripts and missed one that is actually both needed and safe, et cetera), whether it's downloading the file you clicked on and if so at what rate, et cetera. In other words... I sure am glad that I followed your "side-by-side" procedure so that I still have the non-crippled FF 3.6.23 on my computer instead of removing it. 3.6.23 - or maybe it's this version of Ultimate Edition, I haven't been using 2.7 very long - wants to overheat my laptop when I try to watch a Hulu video in fullscreen which turns the frame-dropping skipping pausing into a straight-up halt when the CPU does its overheat throttling back, and I was hoping that fullscreen video was working better in the new version, but it doesn't matter since they chopped off the bottom of the browser for the "upgrade." Guess I'll go back to reading books for entertainment.

If anyone has a direct link to the 4.IDK version of Firefox, I'd like to try that. Or maybe 5/6/7? Whichever one still has a status bar on it.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Return to Newbie's Corner