Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Uninstalling Secondlife

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Uninstalling Secondlife

Postby snydley100 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:52 am

I downloaded and installed the program Secondlife from their website ,(not using the package manager), it runs but there's problems with it,(it's meant to be run on a 32 bit O.S.). Then I found I can install Secondlife through the package manager and did that hoping it might straighten out these problems. What happened is now I have 2 links to the program in my Applications > Internet menu. I then removed Secondlife using the package manager hoping it would remove both versions, but it did not, the original one I downloaded is still installed, the second install is gone. How do I uninstall/get rid of this 1st one? I'd like to "clean up" this program from Ultimate Edition and reinstall it from the package manager. For that matter, how do you uninstall ANYTHING you download and install without using the package manager? Also, if I delete the directory that Seconlife is in, how do I remove the entry from my Applications > Internet menu?
I'm running Ultimate Edition 2.8 64bit.
Thanks,
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Uninstalling Secondlife

Postby snydley100 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:38 am

Blackwolf wrote:You can use the Ubuntu software centre to remove programs. It's under Applications -> Ubuntu Software Centre.
Once it opens select Installed Software and select the once you want to remove and click the remove button.

It wasn't listed
Blackwolf wrote:or by simply opening a terminal and writing
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg -r secondlife

When I did that, this is the response I got:

dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove secondlife, only the config
files of which are on the system. Use --purge to remove them too.

Then I entered:

sudo dpkg -r secondlife --purge
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove secondlife, only the config
files of which are on the system. Use --purge to remove them too.
dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove --purge which isn't installed.

While writing this reply and looking at what I had written I realized maybe I didn't enter the "purge" line
correctly, so I went to the terminal again and entered:

sudo dpkg --purge secondlife

The response I got this time was:

(Reading database ... 549618 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing secondlife ...
Purging configuration files for secondlife ...

After that I deleted the directory where the secondlife files are, but it's Applications > Internet menu entry is still there. How do I get rid of that? Is there a way to "update" the menu entries somehow, or edit a config file and remove it? Maybe when I reboot it'll automagically disappear?!

Blackwolf wrote: Oh.....ps: Welcome to the forum :D

Thanks so much for the help, I'm a noob here and need ALL the help I can get.
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Re: Uninstalling Secondlife

Postby snydley100 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:44 am

snydley100 wrote:
Blackwolf wrote:You can use the Ubuntu software centre to remove programs. It's under Applications -> Ubuntu Software Centre.
Once it opens select Installed Software and select the once you want to remove and click the remove button.

snydley100 wrote:After that I deleted the directory where the secondlife files are, but it's Applications > Internet menu entry is still there. How do I get rid of that? Is there a way to "update" the menu entries somehow, or edit a config file and remove it? Maybe when I reboot it'll automagically disappear?!

Nope, the menu entry is still there. Do you know how to delete a menu entry?

Thanks,
Snyde
snydley100
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Newbie's Corner