Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Installed but won't boot....

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Installed but won't boot....

Postby don_m » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:17 pm

I have an old Compaq 5320US with 768MB RAM, an Nvidia Quadro2 video card, and 80GB western digital HD.

I have XP on the partition.

When I booted the DVD, it would get "stuck" after I pressed enter after boot:. I found by opening/closing the DVD player while booting it would pick up and boot and operate off the DVD.

I was able to successfully install it on the same HD with XP but would have to boot it by open/closing the DVD after boot:

It boots into GRUB, but then gets stuck and won't finish booting to UE28. I was going to try checking the xorg.conf file to make sure everything is correct. I even tried recovery mode with no luck.

Any suggestions as to what is happening?
don_m
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Installed but won't boot....

Postby gjringo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 am

Grub may not have been configured properly on install.This happened to me yesterday on installing a third system in triple boot.I just had to get to the console (terminal) and update grub, then it was OK.
To try this .... when you fire up and are presented with the Grub Menu: choose recovery mode(the 2nd Ultimate Edition line)
then choose grub (Update grub bootloader). You will have to give root password.

resume____ Resume normal boot
clean ____ Try to make free space
dpkg ____ Repair broken packages
failsafe____ Run in failsafe graphic mode
>>>>>>>>>> grub ____ Update grub bootloader <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
netroot____ Drop to root shell prompt with networking

to exit root shell(terminal) type reboot and then to exit (normal)terminal type reboot

Just a suggestion, hope it works.
"The powers of financial capitalism had [a] far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent private meetings and conferences."
Carroll Quigley, 'Tragedy and Hope'

KUBUNTU : 13.10
OS4 OpenLinux 13.7 KDE
nOS 1.5
Intel P45 Quad 9550 @2.83GHz
Intergrated Audio-Realtek ALC888 4GB DDR2
WD 500GB main drive WD320GB external drive
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT 1024MB
BenQ G2410 HD display Altec Lansing 5.1 sound
2 Cor 13:14
gjringo
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Re: Installed but won't boot....

Postby pclinuxguru » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 am

sounds like a bad HDD or another bad device on the sata/IDE rail is bad.

seen bad CD DVD drivers do this and I have seen bad HDD,s do this.

Yes if a CD DVD drive is bad it will cause all of the items on the rail to also not work right.

Dead give away is if it is slow to post bios.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Return to Newbie's Corner