Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

install Ultimate Edition from usb hard drive

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Re: install Ultimate Edition from usb hard drive

Postby Mazal » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 am

Why do you want to install GRUB on your backup data ?
You only install GRUB on the drive you want to boot your OS and run your OS with
-----------------------------
Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz E6850
4 Gig Ram
Mazal
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby Admin-Amir » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:13 am

1+ ;)
Admin-Amir

Postby Mazal » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:40 am

Jason369 have a look at this How-to I wrote a while back on Clonezilla.: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3812

You load back an image with the same bootable Clonezilla CD that you make the image with. You don't need your USB device to be bootable to load back an Image from it.
You can use those steps even if you only have Linux partitions.

Hope that helps ;)
Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz E6850
4 Gig Ram
Mazal
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby JaSoN369 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 am

wow Mazal i most have missed that one, that makes it sound easy. thanks for your patience ill give it another shot later today.
toshiba a505 s6960
Ultimate Edition 2.7 64bit
4 gig ram 800mhz
120 ocz agilty ssd-fw 1.6
2.10 intel core2duo
thanks, Jason
JaSoN369
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Mazal » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:47 am

Yeah at first glance it looks a little intimidating , but it's much easier than it looks
Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz E6850
4 Gig Ram
Mazal
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby CoronaRabbit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi.

I'm very new to Linux, but I have a friend/ colleague who is somewhat knowledgeable (with openSUSE).
I'm looking to run SciLab (+ a few other things I'd like to look at), but the catch is that I want to do this on my work laptop. Installing other softs is a -highly- problematic issue, not to even think of an additional OS.

So. I was thinking USB-HDD, Live, with Persistence. That way, I can avoid the IT'ers.
(Right now I'm testing using a 32GB flash, but once done I've got a 500GB external-HDD waiting.)

Debian (live-rw, home-rw) and Ubuntu (casper-rw) seem to have the most convenient E-HDD + Live + Persistence things going for them.
However: Ubuntu is apparently less stable that Debian, but more up to date in general. But Ultimate Edition is apparently checked-out and corrected by you guys (to some degree, as is feasible all thing considered, yada yada.)
Also, Ultimate Edition seems to have all sorts of little apps that would seem to me to replicate what I use XP for at home...

So. Downloaded the Ultimate Edition 2.6 Gamers ISO. (4GB with additional fun, versus 2.8GB... decisions, decisions.)
And the UE-Unetbootin -- which gave me no joy (can't recall why, right now.)
So I downloaded Unetbootin from Pendrive, selected the ISO, and the flashdisk, and there it went.

Ok. So it boots up nicely. (Does not have graphic-card drivers (yet), but that is less important - should SciLab+etc run Ok, I won't care.)

I have a few, severe, problems, however.
a) I have no idea what the root password is (for the Live boot).
b) I cannot figure out how to get the persistent feature to 'turn on'. (made ext3(maybe ext2?) partition with 'casper-rw', and nothing.)

I've tried looking around this forum (and some Googling), but I would deduce that one would have to do a full install in order to be offered the chance to choose a root password - which helps me by a factor of a perfect zero. (openSUSE killed my laptop once already - of course, it would not have been a problem if XP Recovery did not promptly RAW my laptop HDD... glorious day of please-explain... Fortunately, in my paranoia, I had used Knoppix Live to first backup my data... you're not paranoid if M$-XP really IS crap.)
Ditto for the persistent feature (one post talked about 2.5 USB setup-util or somesuch, but menu-path does not exist for 2.6G.; other posts said it was easy, and it worked, etc... but I can't figure out what to do.)

(Something else that caught my eye was a way to be root in Gnome - or some app that runs selected apps as root?
But that's not critical right now... if I get stuck, I hope I can come back here and ask questions.)

Sigh. I hope I can get help on these things. Otherwise Debian seems to lie in my future.

Regards,
R.
CoronaRabbit
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Previous

Return to Newbie's Corner