Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

some noob problems

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

some noob problems

Postby Motti » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:40 pm

well first of all thanks for this awesome Linux :)
And you should know im not very familiar with linux - just some basics.
Ive switched from openSuSE 11.1 x64 with KDE 4.2 to Ultimate Edition Gamers 2.6 x64 and im happy with this decision^^.

But ive got some problems and questions. Ive switched from SuSE to Ultimate Edition, because i can't get Wine running (and some more problems) and in Ultimate Edition Wine is integrated. Things like Steam works fine - except the graphic (e.g. WoW - see the attached jpg). Ive got an ATI Card (4870) and i dont know what driver i should install and how. I found this HowTo, but im careful with ATI Drivers... I crashed my SuSE system by installing the ATI drivers (reinstalled it after that) and i crashed my Ultimate Edition system by using the proprietary driver for this Card (fix it - dont ask how i even dont know it ;D ). So is this HowTo still up to date and if yes which method should i choose?

My second problem is: My Amarok (version 2.3.0) doesn't create a library :/ Just to explain: in my windows system ive got a extra partition for my documents - and music - so i choose this folder(/media/Eigene Dateien/Eigene Dateien/ Eigene Musik/MP3's - the first "Eigene Dateien" is the partition ;) and as you can see im german :P) and applied (also said he should memorize the new library). Well and i choose to use a mysql database for amarok (yes its configured and i don't know if amarok can connect to it :/). after the scanning for new music files my database is STILL empty :| Even if i deactivate the use of the MySQL DB amarok doesn't create a library o_O
i hope someone can help my with this amarok problem or should i post at the amarok website?

Lets come to my third problem: how can i auto mount all my partitions? Now just some partitions are mounted after the boot.
and the fourth: while my system boots i see the Ultimate Edition logo but how can i change it to the "normal" Linux text? The whole list what is starting and what is loading and so on (:
and the last: How can i autostart mysql (if its not in the autorun - haven't restarted jet)

Just for information - here is my whole system:
Intel Q6600 @3GHz
8GB DDR2 OCZ Ram
Asus Maximus Formula Motherboard
Creative Titanium PCIe Sound
Sapphire TOXIC 4870
Windows 7 Prof and Ultimate Edition 2.6 Gamer x64 in DualBoot

thanks, Motti (:

PS: Sry for my "strange" english ;D

EDIT: Ok forget the problem with amarok o_O it seems i just need to restart it.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto.jpg
Intel Q6600 @3GHz - Asus Maximus Formula - 8GB DDR2 OCZ - HDD: Enough ;) - Sapphire 4870 TOXIC <3 - Windows 7 and Ultimate Edition 2.6 x64 in DualBoot ;D
Motti
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: some noob problems

Postby Time » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Hello and welcome to Ultimate Edition

I found this and think it will help http://mesanna.com/2009/02/02/how-to-mo ... ntu-linux/
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
AMD fx 8120
Ati 7970 video card
2 90 gig ocz ssd raid 0 (Windows 7)
Western Digital SATA3 3 tb
Corsair f115 sata 2 ssd (for Ultimate edition)
16 GiGs DDR3
Time

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 pm

Hi Motti and welcome to the forum,

Since Time has already provided information on the 3rd issue let's take a look at issue #2 while I'm thinking about it. Since I see you already solved the Amarok issue there's something else here of interest.

Motti wrote:so i choose this folder(/media/Eigene Dateien/Eigene Dateien/ Eigene Musik/MP3's - the first "Eigene Dateien" is the partition ;)

If you look at those I have highlighted in red you'll notice spaces. Linux translates a space to %20 so this is how Ultimate Edition (and linux in general) will see those in fstab. While it MAY work for a while it will usually create issues sooner or later.

/media/Eigene%20Dateien/Eigene%20Dateien/%20Eigene%20Musik/MP3's

To make it work smoothly you should change the spaces to either "-" (hyphens) or "_" (underscores). I would also remove the space before Eigene-Musik and the ' in MP3's so it will look like this.

/media/Eigene-Dateien/Eigene-Dateien/Eigene-Musik/MP3s
or
/media/Eigene_Dateien/Eigene_Dateien/Eigene_Musik/MP3s

While I don't think this is as much of an issue as it used to be since fstab uses the UUID of the partitions now, it was an issue before and may still cause problems with some things so it's just good practice.

That may help solve several issues right there. Including mounting issues. Once you rename things edit fstab and make sure to make it look the same by replacing the %20's that are in there with hyphens or underscores (whichever you decide on). To edit fstab run
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Be very careful with fstab you can mess your system up if you're not careful.
When you're done Save and Close then reboot.

I went thru this with my Brother that always wanted to put spaces in volume labels and folder names along with other characters. ;)

I'll have to look into the rest.
P.S. You did fine with the translation. There's nothing to be sorry for.
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Motti » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks Time for this HowTo. Now my Partitions are auto-mounted ;D \o/
And thanks 2hot6ft2. Ive changed the folder names to /media/EigeneDateien/EigeneDateien/EigeneMusik/MP3s/... and updated the Amarok Musik Library (: (ill do the same with my other folders - or is it enough to do this with my volume labels?)

Ok Problem 2 and 3 are solved. but what is with problem 1,4? (problem 5... well i think mysql is in the autostart.
Problem 1: Should i just try the HowTo? I would take the Envy method.
Problem 4: Well hmhm i haven't found any good results at google

And a new Problem or Question^^: Ive got an Logitech G15 and Logitech MX518.. well is there any easy way to get the "play"/"stop"/"forward".... button work with amarok? And my MX518 got 2 extrabuttons and i just would like to know if its posible to change the configuration of them? (at this time its "back" and another, but i rather configure them to copy and paste ;) )

Well and at the and: Thanks for the answers and for this awesome distribution (:

PS: @2hot6ft2: O_o i ever thought my english isn't that good :D Well thanks :)

So good night^^,
Motti
Intel Q6600 @3GHz - Asus Maximus Formula - 8GB DDR2 OCZ - HDD: Enough ;) - Sapphire 4870 TOXIC <3 - Windows 7 and Ultimate Edition 2.6 x64 in DualBoot ;D
Motti
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Newbie's Corner