Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Photo management help!

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Photo management help!

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed May 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Back when I used regular Ubuntu 9.10, I was using F-spot for my digital photo needs. Today I finally got around to wanting to import some new pics. Plugged in the camera, it asked if I wanted to use f-spot to import, I said yes, and a little f-spot box popped up and ZAP...it was gone. After several attempts, I uninstalled f-spot, and tried a few other pieces of software, even going so far as to install picasa. They all worked great, but once f-spot was gone, when I plug in my camera I get the "you have just inserted a medium with digital photos" box pops up, but in the pulldown it says 'No applications found' and there's no place to enter a new one!

Tried getting f-spot to work reading some forums, but all I got was an idea to run it in terminal and look for an error. I did. I got errors. I cross-referenced with their error list, and couldn't find it. I'm hoping since I'm running ultimate maybe someone in here might have seen this before. Thanks in advance! Here's my terminal output:

To access official Ubuntu documentation, please visit:
http://help.ubuntu.com/
mike@mike-desktop:~$ f-spot

(/usr/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe:3050): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
[Info 15:59:49.318] Initializing DBus
[Info 15:59:49.454] Initializing Mono.Addins
[Info 15:59:49.635] Starting new FSpot server (f-spot 0.6.1.5)

** (/usr/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe:3050): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

** (/usr/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe:3050): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name != NULL' failed

[Info 15:59:50.495] Starting BeagleService
[Info 15:59:50.514] Hack for gnome-settings-daemon engaged

(/usr/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe:3050): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: GdkPixbufLoader finalized without calling gdk_pixbuf_loader_close() - this is not allowed. You must explicitly end the data stream to the loader before dropping the last reference.

(/usr/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe:3050): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale: assertion `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (dest)' failed
The program '/usr/lib/f-spot/f-spot.exe' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
(Details: serial 3265 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
mike@mike-desktop:~$
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Photo management help!

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed May 12, 2010 5:37 pm

I should add, I'm less concerned with getting f-spot to work then I am getting any of the other programs to show up selectable as my default photo software. But either way works fine if someone has an answer!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Wed May 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello shadowcrunch.

well it looks like the problem is not with the software here,
The problem is with missing packages to support your work.
If you can upload some screen shots from synaptic from search like:
extract images
USB mount
Mount Manager

So I can see what packages are not install.
to get your f-spot OR what ever the software you want to use to work for you.
The issue here is with the support of the software with the firmware (camera =>software).
Admin-Amir

Postby shadowcrunch » Wed May 12, 2010 8:31 pm

Hello! I took 3 screenshots based on the searches you mentioned and uploaded them to my picasa account. Looks like I'm not running much on those three searches, but of course I'm not sure which ones I should have, and don't want to make anything worse. Here's some clickable thumbs (recently learned how to do that too!). :D

shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu May 13, 2010 1:27 am

Hello shadowcrunch.

I need you just to use the attachment down in the post.
so I can click on the image to make it big - then I can mark the packages for you please.
Admin-Amir

Postby shadowcrunch » Thu May 13, 2010 7:57 am

Hello again! Sorry about the pics, I know some forums have crazy rules about attachments, so I've just gotten used to linking to picasa. Anyway, here's the pics, attached.
Attachments
Screenshot-4.png
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-3.png
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 am

Hello shadowcrunch - Thank you for the screen shots.

Here I have point the packages that you have to install.

Screenshot-2.png

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-3.png

Now I will need your camera name to close the issue with the packages please.
Admin-Amir

Postby shadowcrunch » Thu May 13, 2010 10:54 am

Packages are installed with no problems. My camera is a Fuji Finepix s5100.
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Admin-Amir » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 am

shadowcrunch

This package is for you camera:

Selection_005.png
Selection_005.png (5.64 KiB) Viewed 4897 times

Now I need to know if you have install packages under:

jpg
convert

and under search of "webcam" install those packages to get support in the Device:

Selection_006.png

Selection_007.png

Then Restart your machine , and connect your camera.
Please let me know if you get your camera to work for you.
well it looks like you will have to use 3 party software from what I see on the net - you need to Register :
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multimed ... 8275.shtml
Admin-Amir

Postby shadowcrunch » Thu May 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Okay, I did everything as listed, restarted, and things got more interesting. I had to install f-spot to get the new media pulldown to show anything, but then I was able to select f-spot, digikam, and pretty much anything else. I tried f-spot, but that is still giving the same error and not opening at all. I tried digikam, and now when I plug my camera in, digikam loads right up no problems....BUT when I try to import pics, digikam causes an "unexpected crash."

I will say, when trying to change what program auto-opens, I found System>Preferences>Removable Drives and Media Preferences. In there, I found out the Digital Camera command was stuck on picasa even though I uninstalled that! I changed to digikam there, but it's still giving the same problems with shutting down when I try to import.
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Newbie's Corner