Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help with Java installation please!

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Help with Java installation please!

Postby shadowcrunch » Thu May 06, 2010 4:34 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me repair another of my noobish messes without my having to completely reinstall Ultimate. I wanted to install Netbeans and work on some javascript. The java website told me it couldn't detect java, so I downloaded a .bin file for the java JDK and ran it through terminal. Everything went great, so I downloaded Netbeans .bin file and ran that. The opening installation screen said there was no JDK available. I restarted, hoping java would then take effect...no such luck.

Ran through the java website for install instructions and went step by step a couple times...install and it doesn't work...remove...install and it doesn't work. Yeah. Finally I went to Synaptic Package Manager to look for other java IDEs and I found out I already had java installed through synaptic. Right there I figure I screwed something up by doing the manual install from the downloaded .bin. Marked it for reinstallation, it went fine, and this time when I tried netbeans it did NOT give me the missing JDK warning. YAY!

Netbeans installed about 75% before I started getting java errors. The java website still shows I have no working java installed. I was tempted to install netbeans through synaptic, but I think it partially installed from the bin and I'm thinking I need to completely scratch java and reinstall. Anybody have a "right way" to get java and netbeans working properly? Thanks in advance for any help! You'll be saving me the pain of pulling out my hair!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Help with Java installation please!

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Make sure you use the new version of Ubuntu Tweak and heed the warning.
Quote didn't work right so see the Ubuntu Tweak thread here
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4587&start=0
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby shadowcrunch » Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks for the quick responses! On my way to try this now, BUT...I don't have to go through and uninstall any of the java stuff in synaptic? I'm just wondering based on 15+ years of windows...you know how it goes.
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 am

shadowcrunch wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! On my way to try this now, BUT...I don't have to go through and uninstall any of the java stuff in synaptic? I'm just wondering based on 15+ years of windows...you know how it goes.

You're welcome,
No, one of the nice things about Ultimate Edition and ubuntu in general is if there is a conflicting package it will remove it for you during the install of the new one. It will ask you if you want to proceed and tell you what will happen if doing it thru the terminal.
And Ubuntu Tweak is basically a GUI to the terminal for running the installs of certain packages from pre written commands. You will see the terminal actions when it installs things. (Real rough description it's been a long day :lol: )
<BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby shadowcrunch » Fri May 07, 2010 1:11 am

Okay, now I'm FINALLY getting to try this. Never enough hours in the day... Anyway, something odd. I apparently don't have Ubuntu Tweak. I'll use the command line, but this isn't the first post I've read about Tweak, and even checked the software center and synaptic for it. How does one go about getting tweak?

Again, something interesting pops up! I ran the command like above through terminal, and got a whole bunch of installs and unpacks. At the end there was an error message about something java was trying to do, and the error ended with 'Hit Return to try again, or type no then hit return to exit' so I hit enter and got the same error. Typed no, hit enter, and terminal told me I was done, with an error message. Not really sure why, but I went to synaptic, and instead of asking for a password it told me there was an error and I had to type a command in terminal, then synaptic closed. I ran the command (should have wrote it down!) and terminal said there was an error from java-doc something. Went back into synaptic, which worked now...found a java-doc something and uninstalled it.

Decided to shut down for the night, but check for Tweak one more time. Going down the list of applications, in Programming suddenly Netbeans was there! Clicked it and it opened right up, let me update it, and gave me the list of available screencasts and tutorials from the .org website. Possible that java-doc was causing a conflict? I know the error in terminal said something about shutting off the java-doc upgrade and downloading the regular version, so maybe I just had the wrong package? Ugh, just remembered I forgot to see if java was working in firefox now! Oh well, I'll check after I get some sleep. Nite all!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri May 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Sounds like it was probably a broken package and it wanted you to run dpkg reconfigure.
For Ubuntu Tweak rather than linking directly to it you can get the updated version in the first post of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=4587&start=0
since Admin-Amir keeps it updated if I link to it here it may become an outdated link.

Just save it to your desktop then double click on it and install it. Then it will be in
Applications > System Tools > Ubuntu Tweak
and right below it will be Ultimatix.
<BREW>
2hot6ft2

Postby shadowcrunch » Fri May 07, 2010 3:27 pm

Awesome. Thanks again! Java still wasn't working in firefox, until I finally figured out go to the software center and install the java browser plugin. I may feel dumb, but java and netbeans are both working!
shadowcrunch
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 pm

You're welcome. Enjoy and if you need anything else just ask.
<BREW>
2hot6ft2

Return to Newbie's Corner