Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

noob question

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

noob question

Postby tymothy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm

First time lynix user. I am super happy with this ultimate edition. Thank you so much. Just have some questions I am unable to find.

I am running the kde desktop version of ultimate edition 1.7.

Compiz Fusion I am just unable to find? Is it avalable for the kde desktop?

I am wanting to adjust the mouse setting as well, dont like that little blinking thing behind it.

Do I need a firewall? and or antivirus anymore?

When I use the simple backup, if I need to restore it will it save my settings for everything including browsers and such?

I am used to nortons ghost to backup my harddrives, can I ghost it?

I have lynix on my slave drive, xp on my home.

Thank you for your time, sure there will be more noobish questions to follow.
tymothy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: noob question

Postby vinca » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Welcome to linux!! you made the right choice with ultimate edition. Kde version... the kde4 one or 1.7?

compiz fusion... make sure you have your graphics card's drivers installed with envy; Applications, system tools, envy. You should then have a full resolution for your monitor and can start compiz fusion with compiz-fusion-icon in terminal (apps, accessories, terminal) or applications, system tools, compiz icon. To get the compiz-config-settings-manager, run:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install compiz-config-settings-manager

or
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

I forget which. then you should be good to go.

Mouse setting, not sure what you mean by that, if you mean when you're launching an application, i'm not sure how to get rid of that... I don't use kde.

NOOOOO need whatsoever for firewall or antivirus, linux is the most secure os whatsoever... i like that word huh.. whatsoever

not sure about the backup, but i will use that in the future because my past hard drive with ultimate edition failed and i had no backup... oh well saved most of it on my flashdrive anyway... i diverge ;)

Norton ghost... prolly not a good idea, might have some compatibility issues in wine, try partimage:
sudo apt-get install partimage

I believe you can just select the hard drive you want to make the image of with that app. Anything else, just let us know :D
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby tymothy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Ok here we go.

I tried to launch envy, said something was missing and I let it try to fix itself. I got this message

Unable to run because lack of following packages

dkms

Please install manually and launch envy again.

I thank you kindly for your help. Now I know how new computer users feel. 10 years with computers and so frustrated with microsoft it is time to make the switch.

With kde version I honestly dont know how to tell you which version I have? It came with the 1.7 ultimate disk.

Took some google work to figure out how to get kde desktop up instead of the default one, darn forgot the name of the other one. Love the kde and will stay with it.
tymothy
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby vinca » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 pm

for envy, i'm not an expert, but try
sudo apt-get install dkms

that might do it.... if someone else could come in on this, that would be appreciated.
btw the version with 1.7 is kde3. 4 is a beta anyway.

for future reference, the easiest way to get into kde is to lock or log off your account while in the default window manager, then click sessions then kde. ask to save that choice, and you're good.
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby drama » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:01 am

i agree with vinca installing dkms using the command he gave and then running envy again should solve that issue.

compiz does work in kde. not as well as it does in gnome (just my opinion) but it does work. i would say the easiest way to start compiz would be through fusion-icon. there are two ways of doing this.

method #1: it should be in your menu somewhere. i cant remember exactly where right of hand (i hardly ever use kde)

method #2: open a terminal and type the following command

fusion-icon

as far as backups go. in linux unlike windows you can move files freely if you have the correct privleges (even if its in use). basically if you have admin (sudo) privleges you can simply move you WHOLE file system config files and all to another drive. using a single command. and if your system goes down boot a live cd and use the exact same command to move all them files back over.

ill have to go through my notebook and dig up the commands as well as the howto (might take a few days as the notebook is rather thick). im sure i still have all the instructions tho.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master