Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

2 Small Issues: Boot-Splash & Window Decorations

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

2 Small Issues: Boot-Splash & Window Decorations

Postby Baphomet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Seems to me I have posted about this first problem before, but now I can't find the relevent posts.

Issue one is, I don't get a boot-splash using Ultimate Edition 1.7 64bit. I had to edit menu.lst and remove "quiet" and change "splash" to read "nosplash" to get things up and running. I was hoping that maybe it was a driver-issue but the restricted driver has been installed and the problem persists. It sticks in my mind there's an easy fix for this, but damn if I can remember what it is. Funny thing is, Hardy Heron gives me a boot-splash now, when before, plain-vanilla installs of Ubuntu never would. Ultimate has always shown boot-splashes in the past, and now it won't... It's like some kind of bizarre curse!

I'm open to suggestions because booting, sans boot-splash, sucks.

Second issue I'm having is that my Window Decorations disappear if I have Compiz running at full steam (meaning I select "Custom" or "Full" from the Appearance/Visual Effects menu. Any setting I choose higher than "Normal" makes the Window decorations disappear. I just want my windows decorations to follow the system theme; no more, no less. If this is Emerald-related I swear by all I hold sacred I will rip Emerald from my system so that it never sees the light of day.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: 2 Small Issues: Boot-Splash & Window Decorations

Postby cowboy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 pm

I do not know if this is what you are talking about..enabling the splash in Grub loader
System..Start-up Manager..appearance enable Boot loader themes..this is not directed towards you..but to the "new" be careful in here, you can mess up your install.. :|
Attachments
Screenshot.png
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:41 pm

cowboy wrote:I do not know if this is what you are talking about...

Thanks, I'll give that a go...

I'm thinking (!!) that what got me a boot-splash was something to do with modifying /etc/usplash.conf (xres=1024; yres=768 (or xres=1280; yres=1024)); modifying /boot/grub/menu.lst (vga=792 (or 795))

Commenting out the blacklisted vesafb and/or vga16fb in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer... Then putting “quiet” back into menu.lst and changing “nosplash” back to “splash”... And finally running sudo update-initramfs -u or some combination of the above.

Such are the status of my notes (having finally been able to put my hand's on them).

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby vinca » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Hey baph,

I've had some issues with the decorations on the windows... right-clicking on the compiz-icon, then go to select window decorator, then click emerald... or gtk if you are using that. sorry i can't post a screenshot... in windows baño... get it vista...

bad joke :oops:

ok well give that a try... may be too simple if you already know this "trick" sorry for wasting your time.

Vinca
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby cowboy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Hope it works or the answer to your dilemma
"Back up your Data"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby drama » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Baphomet wrote: Second issue I'm having is that my Window Decorations disappear if I have Compiz running at full steam (meaning I select "Custom" or "Full" from the Appearance/Visual Effects menu. Any setting I choose higher than "Normal" makes the Window decorations disappear. I just want my windows decorations to follow the system theme; no more, no less. If this is Emerald-related I swear by all I hold sacred I will rip Emerald from my system so that it never sees the light of day.

this is because for some retarded reason they keep changing the code in the compiz file. it used to autostart emerald if it was present on the system. but now they removed that part of the code.

now it just says

decorator""
decorator args""

actually if you go through that file now you will notice alot has changed. for instance the blacklist pcids and driver whitelist is gone. anyway on to fixing your problem.

run the following

Code: Select all
sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz

look for where it says

decorator""
decorator args""

add emerald between the "" for decorator and --replace between the "" for decorator args

then save it. this is what i had to do. hell even adding emerald --replace in ccsm had no effect until i add the above to the compiz file. it may or may not do the trick for you. this will make emerald autostart when compiz does.

Baphomet wrote:Seems to me I have posted about this first problem before, but now I can't find the relevent posts.

Issue one is, I don't get a boot-splash using Ultimate Edition 1.7 64bit. I had to edit menu.lst and remove "quiet" and change "splash" to read "nosplash" to get things up and running. I was hoping that maybe it was a driver-issue but the restricted driver has been installed and the problem persists. It sticks in my mind there's an easy fix for this, but damn if I can remember what it is. Funny thing is, Hardy Heron gives me a boot-splash now, when before, plain-vanilla installs of Ubuntu never would. Ultimate has always shown boot-splashes in the past, and now it won't... It's like some kind of bizarre curse!

its not a curse. the ubuntu devs screwed it up jus before gusty went final. rumor has it they still havent managed to fix it in hardy either but i cant verify.

try the following tho. always works for me.

sudo gedit /etc/usplash.conf

change

to

save it. then do the following

sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash

wait for it to update.

then

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

add quiet splash back to the kernel boot line. save it.

reboot & hope it worked.

this trick has worked for me every single time. as well as several others. i do know it dont work for everyone. if it doesnt work you may have to do some hunting as idk how everyone else (the ones this trick dont work for) fixed it.

cheers :-)

-drama
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:54 pm

drama1981 wrote:this trick has worked for me every single time. ... i do know it dont work for everyone. if it doesnt work you may have to do some hunting ...

-drama

Thanks drama, but, as usual for me none of these solutions worked and I'm getting tired of always having to "hunt" for a solution to something that shouldn't need a fix in the first place.

You know... I came to Linux, and Ubuntu in general, with an open mind but truly, having spent as much time with it as I have now, I can truly see why Linux has such a reputation for being for geeks only. Still no splash, still fighting to get/keep my lousy window decorations. How stupid is THAT???

For now, I'm going back to Hardy Heron 64-bit.

Maybe Ultimate Edition v1.8 will be the magic bullet for me at long last...

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby cowboy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:36 am

Baphomet wrote:
drama1981 wrote:this trick has worked for me every single time. ... i do know it dont work for everyone. if it doesnt work you may have to do some hunting ...

-drama

Thanks drama, but, as usual for me none of these solutions worked and I'm getting tired of always having to "hunt" for a solution to something that shouldn't need a fix in the first place.

You know... I came to Linux, and Ubuntu in general, with an open mind but truly, having spent as much time with it as I have now, I can truly see why Linux has such a reputation for being for geeks only. Still no splash, still fighting to get/keep my lousy window decorations. How stupid is THAT???

For now, I'm going back to Hardy Heron 64-bit.

Maybe Ultimate Edition v1.8 will be the magic bullet for me at long last...

Alpha SIX... But yeah, which is why it sits on it's own little "junker" hard-drive. All alone. The kind of situation where the whole drive could burst into flames and the first thing you'd concern yourself with is the suddenly pressing question:

Hot dogs or marshmallows?

Or, perhaps you're being sarcastic? Hmmmm... There's no smack, like ADMIN smack!! ;)

Assuming you are I'll bet you a Coke the boot-splash problem persists in the final release.

Care to put a Coke where your finger's are??

Oh, and just so there's no confusion, overall I like HH (A6); like it a lot as a matter of fact. I'm calling it Hefty Hairball to be funny not because I think it actually has any "heft" or in any way resembles a hairball, hefty or otherwise.

Hmm..maybe..
"Back up your Data"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:29 am

cowboy wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Care to put a Coke where your finger's are??

cowboy wrote:Hmm..maybe..

Well I'm screwed now in any event: 'Hairball won't even do so much as load off the CD for me now.

<sigh>

Guess I just need to get over having a splashy for now.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby vinca » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 pm

drama1981 wrote:
Baphomet wrote: Second issue I'm having is that my Window Decorations disappear if I have Compiz running at full steam (meaning I select "Custom" or "Full" from the Appearance/Visual Effects menu. Any setting I choose higher than "Normal" makes the Window decorations disappear. I just want my windows decorations to follow the system theme; no more, no less. If this is Emerald-related I swear by all I hold sacred I will rip Emerald from my system so that it never sees the light of day.

this is because for some retarded reason they keep changing the code in the compiz file. it used to autostart emerald if it was present on the system. but now they removed that part of the code.

now it just says

decorator""
decorator args""

actually if you go through that file now you will notice alot has changed. for instance the blacklist pcids and driver whitelist is gone. anyway on to fixing your problem.

run the following

sudo gedit /usr/bin/compiz

look for where it says

decorator""
decorator args""

add emerald between the "" for decorator and --replace between the "" for decorator args

then save it. this is what i had to do. hell even adding emerald --replace in ccsm had no effect until i add the above to the compiz file. it may or may not do the trick for you. this will make emerald autostart when compiz does.

Baphomet wrote:Seems to me I have posted about this first problem before, but now I can't find the relevent posts.

its not a curse. the ubuntu devs screwed it up jus before gusty went final. rumor has it they still havent managed to fix it in hardy either but i cant verify.

try the following tho. always works for me.

sudo gedit /etc/usplash.conf

change

to

save it. then do the following

sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash

wait for it to update.

then

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

add quiet splash back to the kernel boot line. save it.

reboot & hope it worked.

this trick has worked for me every single time. as well as several others. i do know it dont work for everyone. if it doesnt work you may have to do some hunting as idk how everyone else (the ones this trick dont work for) fixed it.

cheers :-)

-drama

wow looks like my suggestion was WAAAAY too simple... oh well sorry if i wasted your time :oops:
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master