Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Which Screen Resolution Control Panel? [SOLVED]

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Which Screen Resolution Control Panel? [SOLVED]

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 am

If I'm using the nVidia Settings panel:
Screenshot-NVIDIA X Server Settings.png

do I need the default panel?
Screenshot-Screen Resolution Preferences.png
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Which Screen Resolution Control Panel?

Postby drama » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:32 am

personally id keep both. the reasoning for that is this:

first let me say ive nvr used nvidia (so i may be totally incorrect on a few things) im an ati man.

in my case with ati if the driver breaks you cant use the control panel either. i kno your not using ati but i use this as an example.

say you update the driver. it breaks. ive actually heard of this happening a few times with nvidia. now if its like ati is the settings panel wont work either. now your stuck. you can adjust the resolution.

you can temporarily hide the default one thats in the menu though. i wouldnt delete it. but to hide it do the following.

1: right click the menu (by the ultimate logo). choose edit menu.

2: you now have 2 lists. the one on the left is your main set of menus. apps prefs admin. followed by there submenus (office internet audio & video ect). now the right side lists the sub menus entries from what ever is choosen on the left. say you choose internet on the left. the right pain will show everything thats listed (both hidden & not) from internet (amsn firefox ect).

3: just add or remove check marks (in the right pain) for those that you want to show or hide.

DONT edit or delete anything just add or remove check marks.

4: when done just click ok.

not sure if you knew about this or even if it pertains much to what you were trying to ask. i just assume you were asking if you should delete the original resolution entry so i thought i drop this mini howto on you.

i hope it has been informative either way.

cheers :-)

-drama
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks Drama, You hit the nail right on top. Exactly what I wanted to know. Didnt' think about the default panel as a backup tho'. So will be keeping it for that reason. Don't know yet if I'll hide it or not. Getting where my memory isn't as good as it use to be and I'd forget what I done with it :lol:

Thanks again!
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:35 pm

SaddleTramp wrote:Thanks Drama, You hit the nail right on top. Exactly what I wanted to know. Didnt' think about the default panel as a backup tho'. So will be keeping it for that reason. Don't know yet if I'll hide it or not. Getting where my memory isn't as good as it use to be and I'd forget what I done with it :lol:

Thanks again!

Funny he says that I just went though it... But 100% my fault, tried to get framebuffer graphics of 1680 X1050 (does not happen w/o breakage at least right now) 1280 X 1024 is as high as it goes as far as widescreen, I learned the hardway, but can now help others when they bork their system ;) It is pretty, but no x11, I now know how to have the best of both worlds. I wish my screen went up to 1600 X 1200 now that is supported. I am not talking the Gui I am talking startup. No I am not going to explain how to do it, I don't wanna volunteer my services ;)

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby SaddleTramp » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:09 pm

TheeMahn wrote: ... Funny he says that I just went though it... But 100% my fault, tried to get framebuffer graphics of 1680 X1050 (does not happen w/o breakage at least right now) 1280 X 1024 is as high as it goes as far as widescreen, I learned the hardway, but can now help others when they bork their system ;) It is pretty, but no x11, I now know how to have the best of both worlds. I wish my screen went up to 1600 X 1200 now that is supported. I am not talking the Gui I am talking startup. No I am not going to explain how to do it, I don't wanna volunteer my services ;)
TheeMahn

All this other stuff you've been volunteering and NOW you decide to quit volunteering !??!? You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.... :lol:
Just kiddin' Thee...don't wanna know (least not right now), but don't NEED to know (least not right now too)..
Didn't take the default Screen Res out or hide it...got it there like a 'security blankey' ;)
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7