Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Compiling a custom kernal for Ultimate Edition

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Compiling a custom kernal for Ultimate Edition

Postby ruskin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm always looking to speed up my OS and tweak the hardware everywhere I can so... is it possible to compile a custom kernal and run it with Ultimate Edition? Would it wipe out all the installed programs and settings? Would there be any significant increase in speed by tailoring it to my Duo Core CPU / Motherboard config and cutting out the stuff I don't need OR is Ultimate Edition pretty much compiled 'good enough' and I wouldn't really see any improvement.

Thanks
Ruskin
ruskin
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Compiling a custom kernal for Ultimate Edition

Postby LeadFingers » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

ruskin wrote:I'm always looking to speed up my OS and tweak the hardware everywhere I can so... is it possible to compile a custom kernal and run it with Ultimate Edition? Would it wipe out all the installed programs and settings? Would there be any significant increase in speed by tailoring it to my Duo Core CPU / Motherboard config and cutting out the stuff I don't need OR is Ultimate Edition pretty much compiled 'good enough' and I wouldn't really see any improvement.
Thanks
Ruskin
There are so many tweaks you should try first.
I would consider messing with the kernel to be the last on the list.

TheeMahn has written a Tweaking guide for feisty.
since it was not written gutsy go slow, only try one tweak at a time & reboot often.
Some of these tweaks can bork your system, use caution
Since TheeMahn wrote 1.4 through 1.7 using a core 2 duo, and compiled the kernel to maximize the CPU
I doubt you could gain much by compiling it yourself.
If these tweaks don't quite do it for you, give a look at booting from a raid 0.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:57 pm

LeadFingers wrote:Since TheeMahn wrote 1.4 through 1.7 using a core 2 duo,

How dare you speak that blasphomy around here LeadFingers! TheeMahn is an AMD Mahn ... Just like myself ;) He's "thinking" of swing'n the other way but hasn't yet!
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby LeadFingers » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:23 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:
LeadFingers wrote:Since TheeMahn wrote 1.4 through 1.7 using a core 2 duo,

How dare you speak that blasphomy around here LeadFingers! TheeMahn is an AMD Mahn ... Just like myself ;) He's "thinking" of swing'n the other way but hasn't yet!
I stand corrected!
When I read that, my brain saw Duel core don't know why! :oops:

He was running a AMD X2 (dual core) so you were right on the dual core thing ;)
DaddyX3
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby ruskin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Thank you, i'm going to give that a read and see what I use from it.

Thanks again
Ruskin
ruskin
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:24 pm

lol you guys crack me up, now AMD quad core as of yesterday ;)

As far as the original question involved, I would not waste my time compiling a kernel, virtually under no condition other then a piece of unsupported hardware. I grant you newer kernels do offer benefits typically in speed. I am going to post how to get the newest kernel with out building one. I highly recommend not doing this, but if you must know...

I would also like to inform all involved... do not misconstrue the word generic, when dealing with kernels generic supports SMP (multiple cores), don't quote me on this, but I believe there is a limit of 1000 cpus / cores & why nix is used with cell processors. Generic it is not. Just a tadbit of info for you.

Forewarning!!! If you follow this you WILL have to reinstall your restricted drivers & may bork your system, you have been warned.

Getting Started:
open a terminal:

Backup sources.list:
Code: Select all
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.bak

Modify sources list:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

click replace enter the word gutsy replace all with hardy

save and exit

sudo apt-get update

Time to upgrade the Kernel:

sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules linux-image-generic linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic linux-headers-2.6.24-12-generic

Should show similar:
The following extra packages will be installed:
libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 linux-headers-2.6.24-12 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-12-generic linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-12-generic
module-init-tools
Suggested packages:
glibc-doc manpages-dev linux-doc-2.6.24 linux-source-2.6.24 avm-fritz-firmware-2.6.24-12
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-2.6.24-12 linux-headers-2.6.24-12-generic linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic linux-restricted-modules linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-12-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-12-generic
The following packages will be upgraded:
libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-generic module-init-tools
7 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1630 not upgraded.
Need to get 58.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 192MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

DO NOT UPGRADE ANYTHING ELSE

Restore List:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.bak /etc/apt/sources.list

Refresh apt database:
sudo apt-get update

I highly suggest not doing so, you have been warned. Again ;)

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Sno » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi All,

If you really want to update you kernel, here is how I do it.....Yes, I am a little old school about it. Yes, you need to be root (or sudo at least.) Yes, this assumes you know how to configure a kernel.

1. Make sure you have all the packages you need
apt-get install build-essential bin86 kernel-package libqt3-headers libqt3-mt-dev wget

2. Download the kernel source from kernel.org or someplace similar.

3. Unzip the source into /usr/src. This will create a directory something like /usr/src/linux-2.6.24.2

4. If you have a /usr/src/linux folder, delete it or rename it.

5. Open a terminal and got the src folder
cd /usr/src

6. Create a link for the new linux folder
ln -sf /usr/src/linux-some.version.numbers /usr/src/linux

7. Go to the new link forlder
cd linux

8. Clean the code
make mrproper

9. Configure you kernel (I use xconfig) and save the config file as .config
make xconfig

10. Build it
make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

11. Go get coffee...this will be a while.

12. When it's done...you will find 2 new packages in the /usr/src folder. 1 kernel image package and 1 header package. Install them in that order.

13. Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst if needed.

14. If you are using Nvidia or Ati drivers, change your video to VESA, reboot and rebuild the drivers. If not, just reboot.

15 Done.

Works for me :D
Use at your own risk :twisted:
Braking things is fun...then you have to learn how to fix them :twisted:

-Sno
Then the women got the vote, and everything went to hell..... Drinking and gambling and whoring were declared unlawful. All those things which come natural to men became crimes.

-Tector Crites, The life and times of Judge Roy Bean.
Sno
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby DaddyX3 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:42 am

TheeMahn wrote:lol you guys crack me up, now AMD quad core as of yesterday ;)

As far as the original question involved, I would not waste my time compiling a kernel, virtually under no condition other then a piece of unsupported hardware. I grant you newer kernels do offer benefits typically in speed. I am going to post how to get the newest kernel with out building one. I highly recommend not doing this, but if you must know...

I would also like to inform all involved... do not misconstrue the word generic, when dealing with kernels generic supports SMP (multiple cores), don't quote me on this, but I believe there is a limit of 1000 cpus / cores & why nix is used with cell processors. Generic it is not. Just a tadbit of info for you.

Forewarning!!! If you follow this you WILL have to reinstall your restricted drivers & may bork your system, you have been warned.

Getting Started:
open a terminal:

Backup sources.list:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.bak

Modify sources list:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

click replace enter the word gutsy replace all with hardy

save and exit

sudo apt-get update

Time to upgrade the Kernel:

sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules linux-image-generic linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic linux-headers-2.6.24-12-generic

Should show similar:
The following extra packages will be installed:
libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 linux-headers-2.6.24-12 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-12-generic linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-12-generic
module-init-tools
Suggested packages:
glibc-doc manpages-dev linux-doc-2.6.24 linux-source-2.6.24 avm-fritz-firmware-2.6.24-12
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-2.6.24-12 linux-headers-2.6.24-12-generic linux-image-2.6.24-12-generic linux-restricted-modules linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-12-generic linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-12-generic
The following packages will be upgraded:
libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-generic module-init-tools
7 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1630 not upgraded.
Need to get 58.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 192MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

DO NOT UPGRADE ANYTHING ELSE

Restore List:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.bak /etc/apt/sources.list

Refresh apt database:
sudo apt-get update

I highly suggest not doing so, you have been warned. Again ;)

TheeMahn

Are you saying to restore the repo list back to gusty after I'm done? won't that conflict with the new kernel?
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:20 pm

yes, revert the sources.list. To the contrary it will lock your kernel in until gutsy's kernel catches up with hardys... You will still have gutsy's kernel listed in grub, so you can always revert.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks TheeMahn. I'm up to my ears in confusion though right now! I've followed several different sets of instructions on the web for installing Myth, off the wiki and from ubuntu forums and just winging it with my own meathod. The funny is that my own method is the only one that has worked so far :lol: But my remote wouldn't work and I tried several things and finally wiped out Myth to start over fresh again. Now I'm back in LIRC madness trying to get the ir blaster and the receiver working and communicating with Myth. I downloaded the tars for Myth the other night and went through yet another tutorial and when I was done I still did not have Myth front or backend installed even after make install. That was a nice waste of time!!! :x I think I was reading a Gentoo tutorial and I think some of the things suggested don't work in Ultimate Edition. So anyway ... I can see myself working on this freak'n thing for several more days :evil:

DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7