Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.7 error with most recent Kernel update

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Ultimate Edition 1.7 error with most recent Kernel update

Postby aperrigo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:10 pm

I failed to right down the exact cause, so let me explain my situation with the new kernel update. I had Ultimate Edition 1.7 installed. I then proceed to update and configure to my computer's spec. I then went along with all the updates. Here is the issue the update is successful with the most recent kernel. I reboot.. During reboot it asks me (in text) to specify a video mode or press space to continue. I press space and I have to reinstall my envy and video drivers. Reboot again. Same question as last time. I press space and it is 50/50 on whether the drivers load or I have to reconfigure my xconfig again. I ask if anyone has run into this error and if they have found a way to correct it.?

I also successfully merged Ultimate Edition 1.7 and Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy...same issue as above but it nearly crashed my computer....Although I couldn't get the themes from Ultimate Edition 1.7 to work I did get the themes from 1.4 to work ....strange huh
Intel Quad Processor 9450 2.6 Ghz
Microsoft Windows Vista x64*(Service Pack 1, v.668)
Ultimate Ubuntu Edition 1.8 x64
XFX Nvidia n790i Ultra
1 * Nvidia PNY Geforce GX280 1 GHz 1GB
4GB DDR3 Corsair at 1333MHz
1 * Western Digital Velociraptor 300 GB SATA 3.0 Gbps Vista Drive
1 * Western Digital 320 GB SATA 3.0 Gbps*Linux Drive
2 * Western Digital Raptor 10000 RPM SATA 1.5 Gbps* Game Drive (RAID 0)
I like answers that aren't correct from politicians
aperrigo
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.7 error with most recent Kernel update

Postby Baphomet » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:49 pm

Have you done a download of Envy lately ... Or are you using the version of Envy that came installed with Ultimate?

If you're using the version that came pre-installed with Ultimate Edition, go to the Envy website and download the latest version. Run it. Joy follows. You MIGHT have to go in reconfigure your default resolution (it happened to me and it's happened to others), but other than that, you should be good to go.

From what I can tell, the new linux kernel headers kinda bust xorg.conf right in the family jewels... Or something. Reinstalling Envy (from the website) and letting it do it's thaaaaaang seems to work though.
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby aperrigo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:53 pm

I did have the most recent install of Envy when I re-installed the drivers...It doesn't happen on my virtualbox of UUE1.7 but that is only an emulation...when I get a chance I am going to go through my logs....all of them and see what has happened before and after the newest kernel install.
XFX Nvidia n790i Ultra
aperrigo
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby LeadFingers » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:55 pm

We Highly recommend you upgrade instead of update,
as the upgrade is known to fix several possible issues.
Whether you upgrade or update,
your video drivers will no longer work because they are no longer configured correctly,
due to the kernel updates.

Your best bet is to esc at grub
select recovery mode (this keeps all the repairs in the same kernel)
Code: Select all
envy -t

This brings up the envy GUI
uninstall & reinstall your drivers
and reboot to see if the change is permanent
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby aperrigo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:26 am

Well I gave in again and wiped the drive re-installing the 1.4 Ultimate Edition....then upped it to the 7.10 Gutsy....Now I am trying to figure out how to up it again to 8.04 Hardy.
I am all referring to the x64 versions.
XFX Nvidia n790i Ultra
aperrigo
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby cowboy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:19 am

8.04 Hardy is still in Alpha stage and will be for at least 6 more days before it then goes into Beta...I can tell you personally there is still more to do with it before it becomes "stable".
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pokkets » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:44 pm

Ultimate 1.7 is great out of the box, but being a curious newbie I wanted to find out as much as I could as quickly as possible. The 1.7 Live disk has helped me on any number of occasions.I had an ultimate 1.7 base and decided to overload it with as many stable applications that were not in direct conflict.and which seemed remotely interesting, I'd loaded from kubuntu, edubuntu, and debian etch. making a root tar backups on an external drive, because I've needed them, and decided to 'upgrade-manager -d' to hardya5. I know it's in testing, but so was my system and I wanted to 'see what happened' After 9 hours hardy finally spat, as the upgrade finished, because cupsys had trouble with the apparmor parser. Hardy suggested I return my system to it's previous state, with a dpkg -a or something (I was too busy laughing to remember) and I thought after 9 hours it had a hide. I put it in a tarball, and then installed it on a USB external drive over a clean 1.7 so I could 'play' with it. Apart from cupsys, and some unimportant dependencies it is an Ultimate 1.7 with and 7 GB usr file and a 1 GB home file
Hardy Wireless is still out but I worked out how to keep network unlocked in authorizations. There was an upgrade to A6 with ethernet. Cupsys still won't install, but I thought it was funny that I have an old printer that runs through windows. Cupsys caused a few dependency failures, things I had tacked on Nothing seems to be essential, In hardy's opinion the system is unstable. It didn't like the giga tweaking, before I traded up to a windows-free laptop. The upgrade didn't like the fact that there were no envy drivers installed. The windows graphics card cant be upgraded. That's another reason I'm getting a laptop with nvidia.
Any problems with the upgrade were as a result of my 'tweaks' old windows hardware,or ubuntu base. If a hardy upgrade made ultimate unusable I'd be quite happy to stay with gutsy, but I have plenty of external space for backups, to start again from the last place it worked. I know the value of rm *before*, it can clean folders up quickly. Ultimate has taught me two things. How to enjoy linux, while learning whats under the skin of a computer. The other is just about every day it gives me another reason to forget windows. The best thing I've heard about Vista, is that it's good if you like automatic repacks, and that internet explorer is like Firefox but is bound to be a virus magnet. By the time the stable Hardy upgrade is ready I'll be sick of testing, and the ultimate upgrade with KDE4 is another reason to hurry up and get a new graphics card. (with a dual core laptop attached.)
pokkets
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TheeMahn » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:08 pm

pokkets wrote:Ultimate 1.7 is great out of the box, but being a curious newbie I wanted to find out as much as I could as quickly as possible. The 1.7 Live disk has helped me on any number of occasions.I had an ultimate 1.7 base and decided to overload it with as many stable applications that were not in direct conflict.and which seemed remotely interesting, I'd loaded from kubuntu, edubuntu, and debian etch. making a root tar backups on an external drive, because I've needed them, and decided to 'upgrade-manager -d' to hardya5. I know it's in testing, but so was my system and I wanted to 'see what happened' After 9 hours hardy finally spat, as the upgrade finished, because cupsys had trouble with the apparmor parser. Hardy suggested I return my system to it's previous state, with a dpkg -a or something (I was too busy laughing to remember) and I thought after 9 hours it had a hide. I put it in a tarball, and then installed it on a USB external drive over a clean 1.7 so I could 'play' with it. Apart from cupsys, and some unimportant dependencies it is an Ultimate 1.7 with and 7 GB usr file and a 1 GB home file
Hardy Wireless is still out but I worked out how to keep network unlocked in authorizations. There was an upgrade to A6 with ethernet. Cupsys still won't install, but I thought it was funny that I have an old printer that runs through windows. Cupsys caused a few dependency failures, things I had tacked on Nothing seems to be essential, In hardy's opinion the system is unstable. It didn't like the giga tweaking, before I traded up to a windows-free laptop. The upgrade didn't like the fact that there were no envy drivers installed. The windows graphics card cant be upgraded. That's another reason I'm getting a laptop with nvidia.
Any problems with the upgrade were as a result of my 'tweaks' old windows hardware,or ubuntu base. If a hardy upgrade made ultimate unusable I'd be quite happy to stay with gutsy, but I have plenty of external space for backups, to start again from the last place it worked. I know the value of rm *before*, it can clean folders up quickly. Ultimate has taught me two things. How to enjoy linux, while learning whats under the skin of a computer. The other is just about every day it gives me another reason to forget windows. The best thing I've heard about Vista, is that it's good if you like automatic repacks, and that internet explorer is like Firefox but is bound to be a virus magnet. By the time the stable Hardy upgrade is ready I'll be sick of testing, and the ultimate upgrade with KDE4 is another reason to hurry up and get a new graphics card. (with a dual core laptop attached.)

I was not going to post this, until it was uploaded, but I will let you know Ultimate Edition KDE4 is uploading how many people can possibly see this post? I will also inform you it is loaded to the gills with apps, there are a few minor glitches what do you expect with beta? It has tons more then the screencast I dropped. I only missed 1 app I wanted to have pre-installed, something I am not going to rebuild it again for. I am not looking at this as a major release... I am sure none the less it will be pounded as well. I am running it right now I would have to say it is capt. eyecandy. I personally would not run it day to day, but do enjoy the eyecandy. You had best enjoy knowing this info it has not even been dropped in the news & events section yet...

It has git built compiz fusion built in which really sets it off the hook. I have already let the cat out of the bag, allow me to break down software included:
Code: Select all
theemahn@SledgeHammer:~$ dpkg -l
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                                 Version                                              Description
+++-====================================================-====================================================-========================================================================================================================
ii  abiword                                              2.4.6-2ubuntu2                                       WYSIWYG word processor based on GTK2
ii  abiword-common                                       2.4.6-2ubuntu2                                       WYSIWYG word processor based on GTK2
ii  abiword-plugins                                      2.4.6-2ubuntu2                                       plugins for AbiWord
ii  abiword-plugins-gnome                                2.4.6-2ubuntu2                                       plugins for AbiWord (with GNOME dependency)
Your message contains 349255 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.  Too big to post...

You will not be disappointed, but expect problems this is to be considered "unstable".
TheeMahn
Attachments
KDE4Software.txt
(337.33 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7