Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Issues with 1.7

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Issues with 1.7

Postby dcorleone » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:07 am

I'll update/edit this post as I find stuff.

Wherever it says [fixed], that means it's fixed on my specific system by whatever I put as my fix, it does not mean it's fixed in the distro itself. This is purely my findings as a private citizen I have nothing to do with UU in any official capacity:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1. Kubuntu docs causes some kind of script error whenever you add packages. Uninstalling kubuntu-docs fixes it. [fixed]

2. The default home-page link in Firefox doesn't work. Changing link to point to /usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/locales-ubuntu/index-en_GB.html (for English) fixes the broken link, but it just points to the generic Ubuntu "getting started" page, not Ultimate-specific. [fixed-sorta]
[[[ EDIT ]]] - This was a problem with the combo Gnome+KDE version I was using. The pure-Gnome version works the way it's supposed to.

3. In Software Sources, the http://repoubuntusoftware.info repository points to "gusty" instead of "gutsy". Not sure if that's a bug really. I suppose it could be that way in the actual repo too, and if so, it's not, but the repo gives all 404 errors atm. [FIXED: It IS supposed to be "gusty")

4. No shortcut for KVirc in any of the menus. Running from a terminal will start it, which will then add a desktop icon if you want. [fixed]

5. Not really a UU bug, but an issue... Startup Manager will add /vga 792 at the end of the kernel lines in the grub menu. With NVidia cards, this will make it so you can't CTRL-ALT-F1 (or whatever) to a console. You just get a blinking icon in the upper left. Deleting that /vga 792 part from the entries in /boot/grub/menu.list fixes that. [fixed]

6. (Grub-installer issue, not UU specific) In systems with multiple hard-drives, the grub-installer can get confused. In my case, it detects the proper boot-drive as hd2, but when rebooting, grub itself sees it as hd0. This led to an Error 17 error. Changing the references in /boot/grub/menu.lst of (hd2,0) to (hd0,0) fixed that. [fixed]

7. I wasn't gonna post this at first cuz I don't know if it's a bug or not, but an Htop shows 60 separate incidents of "console-kit-daemon" running. I've tried around 40 different distros in the last month and I've never seen that before, so I figure it's GOTTA be a bug.

8. In the pure-Gnome version, the startup script that asks if you want to install adobe, flash etc runs in the live session, but did not run when I did my first boot to desktop after install.
[[[ EDIT ]]] - It ran on the SECOND boot, post-install. At the first boot, I disabled a bunch of stuff I'm not going to need... Bluetooth and power management stuff, MySQL and Apache and that mysterious "consolekit". No idea if it's related in any way, but after I rebooted after makin' those changes, the script ran the way it's supposed to.
Last edited by dcorleone on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Issues with 1.7

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:09 am

dcorleone wrote:I'll update/edit this post as I find stuff.

Wherever it says [fixed], that means it's fixed on my specific system by whatever I put as my fix, it does not mean it's fixed in the distro itself. This is purely my findings as a private citizen I have nothing to do with UU in any official capacity:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1. Kubuntu docs causes some kind of script error whenever you add packages. Uninstalling kubuntu-docs fixes it. [fixed]

2. The default home-page link in Firefox doesn't work. Changing link to point to /usr/share/ubuntu-artwork/home/locales-ubuntu/index-en_GB.html (for English) fixes the broken link, but it just points to the generic Ubuntu "getting started" page, not Ultimate-specific. [fixed-sorta]

3. In Software Sources, the http://repoubuntusoftware.info repository points to "gusty" instead of "gutsy". Not sure if that's a bug really. I suppose it could be that way in the actual repo too, and if so, it's not, but the repo gives all 404 errors atm. [maybe fixed]

4. No shortcut for KVirc in any of the menus. Running from a terminal will start it, which will then add a desktop icon if you want. [fixed]

5. Not really a UU bug, but an issue... Startup Manager will add /vga 792 at the end of the kernel lines in the grub menu. With NVidia cards, this will make it so you can't CTRL-ALT-F1 (or whatever) to a console. You just get a blinking icon in the upper left. Deleting that /vga 792 part from the entries in /boot/grub/menu.list fixes that. [fixed]

6. (Grub-installer issue, not UU specific) In systems with multiple hard-drives, the grub-installer can get confused. In my case, it detects the proper boot-drive as hd2, but when rebooting, grub itself sees it as hd0. This led to an Error 17 error. Changing the references in /boot/grub/menu.lst of (hd2,0) to (hd0,0) fixed that. [fixed]

1. kubuntu-docs has issues and I point this out on the download page. Purgeing the package fixes this it is not a show stopper just a minor annoyance. (When purged destroys the homepage I set)

2. I had no issues with the default home page other then having the time to update it from Christmas Edition to Ultimate Edition 1.7 specific. Will post a shot after install.
Screenshot.png
homepage while installing... (live DVD)

(See #2 why it goes bye bye)

3. Not a bug the repo is deliberately written as gusty and not gutsy.

4. Totally my fault, I wrote a script for reconstructor that performs this action, evidently did not click it, thanks for the work around.

5. I have updated the start-up manager hopefully this issue is history.

6. I also witness this issue probably because I have 5 hard disks in raid configurations ;) Hopefully they will address this issue, not everyone has just 1 hard drive.

Thanks for pointing out potential problems, feel free to continue if you stumble upon anymore.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby dcorleone » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mean any of this as a criticism. So far this is the best Ubuntu I've tried and I like it very much. I just mention things I find in case there's something you didn't know about yet and to help out anybody that bumps into the same stuff I do. I figure I might as well make all my bug-reports in one thread rather than a buncha little ones.

Okay, good to know on the gusty/gutsy thing. Is the repo actually available? I wasn't having any luck with it, even when it was configured properly as gusty.

Thx and keep up the good work! (and I'll keep on nitpickin'... ;) )

EDIT: Just tried it again after changing it back to "gusty" and it works fine now. :) Any chance of getting a UU-specific IRC Channel? That main #ubuntu room is a nuthouse. Standing-room only in there.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby phaedra » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 pm

dcorleone wrote:I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mean any of this as a criticism. So far this is the best Ubuntu I've tried and I like it very much. I just mention things I find in case there's something you didn't know about yet and to help out anybody that bumps into the same stuff I do. I figure I might as well make all my bug-reports in one thread rather than a buncha little ones.

Okay, good to know on the gusty/gutsy thing. Is the repo actually available? I wasn't having any luck with it, even when it was configured properly as gusty.

EDIT: Just tried it again after changing it back to "gusty" and it works fine now. :) Any chance of getting a UU-specific IRC Channel? That main #ubuntu room is a nuthouse. Standing-room only in there.

When I'm online I sometimes start an ##ultimate-editon channel... It's not always there and I don't have any bots either since it's unofficial. :)

phaedra
phaedra

Postby dcorleone » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Channels close automatically if they're empty for long enough, so to establish a permanent one, official or otherwise, it'd pretty much need SOME kind of bot to mind the store.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:55 am

dcorleone wrote:I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mean any of this as a criticism. So far this is the best Ubuntu I've tried and I like it very much. I just mention things I find in case there's something you didn't know about yet and to help out anybody that bumps into the same stuff I do. I figure I might as well make all my bug-reports in one thread rather than a buncha little ones.

Oh thats no problem, I can take constructive criticism. I was just pointing out the no so obvious, in relation the the things you were finding. I opened an IRC channel about 6 months ago, had may 10 users (never placed a link on any page I suppose if I were to put it in news and events there would be a larger base), unfortunately I can't hang out there all day long, I reboot all the time either to install the next latest / greatest, or quite busy programming.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby dcorleone » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:28 am

Well you wouldn't necessarily have to answer all the questions solo. I'm sure there'd be lots of people lookin' for entry-level-linux type stuff too, so a lot of questions could probably be answered by other users. I tend to spend a lotta time in rooms like that myself, so I'm always willing to help out with whatever meager knowledge I have. And if you put a link on the homepage, I'm sure a lot of people would go there. I'd never heard of UU before, but over the last month, 1.6 and 1.7 have gotten to be much higher profile, so I'm probably not the only one who stumbled across it recently.

Well if you ever decide to repost it, I'll help out as much as I can. I'm no expert, but I know the answers to a lot of stuff that a recent Windows defector would likely ask.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby W4RP » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:16 pm

First i must mention that i'm new to linux world :) i have an issue with my ethernet controller i think.. my board is an ASUS M2N with nvidia nforce gigabit ethernet controller but i can't get it working with Ultimate Edition 1.7... i've tryed opensuse and fedora and it works fine.. can anyone help me with this?
W4RP
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dcorleone » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:06 pm

My install's gone a little squirrely, so I think I'm gonna reinstall. It's completely my fault. I'm a bleeding edge kinda guy, so I added the Hardy repos and pulled in some post-gutsy stuff. I also uninstalled a whole ton of KDE stuff, cuz I wanna try to run a pure-gnome environment this time, and I may have been a little too aggressive in deleting stuff. Well, whatever the reason, things are just a little "off". I don't want to post any more bugs with this install, cuz at this point, they're almost definitely all of my own making.

I just downloaded the Gnome-only version and I'm going to try that, and I'm going to leave the Hardy repos out this time. Stick with a pure Gutsy build this time out. I'll continue reporting any bugs I find after I'm back up and running with a virgin UU 1.7-Gnome.
dcorleone
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby phaedra » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:15 pm

W4RP wrote:First i must mention that i'm new to linux world :) i have an issue with my ethernet controller i think.. my board is an ASUS M2N with nvidia nforce gigabit ethernet controller but i can't get it working with Ultimate Edition 1.7... i've tryed opensuse and fedora and it works fine.. can anyone help me with this?

I've just done a quick check and there seems to be intermittent problems for some people with the nic on this mobo...

Can you give us the chipset on this i.e. RTL8111/8168 or whatever... Use lspci to get the info.

phaedra
phaedra

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7