Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition 1.7 on Laptop(Solved)

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Ultimate Edition 1.7 on Laptop(Solved)

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:56 am

Hello everyone..going to attempt a dual boot with Vista & 1.7. Going to document this so others can learn including myself. The reason I am going to dual boot is for several reasons, school that requires either a Win. or Mac installation, and for any others ;) To start off several will get this error img. 1 this does not affect the installation and does go away. The lap is a acer 5520, 2gig. Mem, 160gig HD, Nvidia 7000 Graphic card. Img. 2 is a screenshot of the HD. Plan is to give 1.7 100gigs of space allowing the other (hate to write it) the remainder.

Any help from anyone would be beneficial to others including myself. ;)

P.S. forgot, had to run the Live DVD in "Safe Graphic Mode" had a problem with the installation not recognizing the card.
Attachments
acer s.png
acer error
Scret.png
screenshot of disk
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Ultimate Edition 1.7 on Laptop

Postby DaddyX3 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Hey Cowboy, firstly - you'll need to enter into vista and "shrink" your volume, however, I'm not quite sure on why you have 2 seperate partitions (not including the MBR - PQservice) I do believe this to be a recovery partition. This install is a factory one no doubt. This pre-bundled installation of VISTA is going to be a problem for us if you are looking to sqeeze 100GiB out of it. I don't even know if this will be possible.
Firstly, goto Control Panel>>Administrative Tools>>Computer Management>>Storage>> Disk management
This will get you a nice GUI disk management utility that will allow you to "shrink" your main partition to squeeze your 1.7 install to. All you have to do is right click on the primary partition (C:) and select "shrink" from the menu. This program can also delete partitions, format and so on. I can not verify that a deletion of the back up (recovery) partition is going to be possible or not. I would like you to see you be able to delete the partition all together, but ... we are dealing with M$. Post back and see what we need to do.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:22 pm

The error you are seeing with mysql will be displayed on every computer when booted the reason you are receiving this error is I did not configure mysql, because I wanted the end user to be able to set the password, this error goes away after installation it is given as a forewarning in the download section of the webpage. I could have set it so it would not have displayed that error, but if you decided to use mysql-server you would be coming in here asking me what I set the password as ;)

The first partition you are seeing is most likely a backup partition your laptop manufacturer has placed to allow you to restore it to factory defaults.

I hope this has been informative.

Best regards,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:42 pm

OK back again things came up and do not know when I can finish this project..here is a screenshot, windows side..sda2 looks like it is C and sda3 is D, man this is not like XP at all came across a post about a dual boot but with another brand of computer. Forgot to add processor is AMD Turion X2... :| here is the post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4192791
"Back up your Data"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:10 am

cowboy wrote:OK back again things came up and do not know when I can finish this project..here is a screenshot, windows side..sda2 looks like it is C and sda3 is D, man this is not like XP at all came across a post about a dual boot but with another brand of computer. Forgot to add processor is AMD Turion X2... :| here is the post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4192791

Its ok. VISTA dual boot is actually very easy for a dual boot setup usually. But your pre-configured system is less than desired in this situation. They did that for a reason ... its M$ and they know it will break ... lol! But really, It would be nice to just install VISTA by itself and not all the pre-bundled junk. VISTA actually has some nice tools to utilize while erasing half of itself ;) You'll just have to make a decision here. 1) erase the backup partition and go through all the hassle of menu after menu prompt warning you that there is not enough space for recovery data ... blah blah blah and then going through a bunch of stuff and re-configuring VISTA to not back up so much data all the time. OR 2) Wipe it clean and re-install VISTA on some smaller partition that you create with the live session :D I think that # 2 would be my choice personally (I'm not scared). Although I would pre-pare for VISTA to be very resilient (yes, this is a good trait) to a complete wipe out. I would utilize the Gparted utility to do the "wiping" then go back in and install VISTA on a smaller partition.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby cowboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 am

Things got a little hectic here, just noticed I had forgot to upload the screenshot on the windows side, lol.Boo! I am not scared either (that's a lie) no really with all great help and knowledge in this Forum can get out of about any mess. My thoughts when time provides is to take sda2 and sda3 erase them both with Partition Editor create a smaller version of them, and with the remaining space.label it as a linux partition. Reinstall Vista with the backup DVDs I made into the smaller partitions. Then take the linux partition after this is done for windows will not write to it and change it back to unallocated space for the 1.7 installation...does that plan seem viable? Or was that your Idea also... :?
Attachments
win partition.jpg
"Back up your Data"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby LeadFingers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:46 am

Not that I'm windows bashing but, changing partitions in windows,
NOW THAT'S SCARY !

Before Gparted/Parted Magic, I used Partition Magic.
Light weight, (2 floppies) Simple, limited but powerful,
and best of all no need for a windows environment.

You can put anyone of those 3 on a live CD !
Just something to think about. ;)
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby cowboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:10 am

I was figuring using Partition Editor since it is a default program with Ultimate Edition, no need to go back and forth except to reinstall what i need for (hate to use this)Vista.
"Back up your Data"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby LeadFingers » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 am

Now why did I think Partition Editor was Windows ? :oops:

Thanks for the correction. :)
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby cowboy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 am

Lol, np i use to call g-parted, as far as Working on Windows partitions I agree. But have further use for this laptop, as I imagine others do that require a Win. install. :cry: This thread would be easy to write if I was doing a full install of Ultimate Edition :lol:
"Back up your Data"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God