Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Installation locks-up

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Installation locks-up

Postby lowjak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:19 am

I am new to the ultimate edition so hi everyone. I have had the regular gutsy32 working on my machine just fine but i wanted to give this a shot.
After i select install the red dragon appears with the bar that goes back and forth, after about 3 minutes the bar stops and the keyboard locks up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
my systems as follows:
AMD64 3200
ASUS A8N-e mobo
2gig dual channel corsair ram
ATI PCI-e X700pro 256
1 WD 200 sata2
2 seagate 120 pata
firewire card - not sure what brand
lowjak
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Re: Installation locks-up

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:01 am

Hello..first let me touch base, you probably already done this, but have to ask anyways, so don't be offended. Did you check your md5sum after the download, and also did you verify your burn,if so you might want to try running the live DVD in safe graphic mode or enter in before you start, acpi=off.
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby lowjak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:57 am

I used poweriso in windows to burn and i always have it verify data and it seemed to burn ok.
What is a decent program to check md5sum under windows? Thanks. I am re downloading the torrent just to make sure.
lowjak
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby phaedra » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:08 am

lowjak wrote:I used poweriso in windows to burn and i always have it verify data and it seemed to burn ok.
What is a decent program to check md5sum under windows? Thanks. I am re downloading the torrent just to make sure.

Here - http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

Also, keep the burn speed down. I like to keep mine at 4x for DVD's.

phaedra
phaedra

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby lowjak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 am

I did check the mdsum and that turned out ok. I am burning a new DVD @ 2.4x with nero so we will see what happens. Oh yeah and just to be sure i am using my sony dvd's instead of memorex as i used before.
lowjak
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:38 am

lowjak wrote:I did check the mdsum and that turned out ok. I am burning a new DVD @ 2.4x with nero so we will see what happens. Oh yeah and just to be sure i am using my sony dvd's instead of memorex as i used before.

Keep us posted, and by the way Welcome to Ultimate Edition ;)
"Back up your Data"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby lowjak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:39 pm

I tried the original dvd on my laptop and it did not work just like on my desktop.
After i burned the 2nd dvd it WORKED on my laptop that has an older ATI chipset igp320 or someting, however on my desktop the the live boot stopped in the same place.

This leads me to believe there may be an issue with the the ati compatibility, which is a bit weird because the regular gutsy works fine. I did try the safe mode with the same results.

I also disabled the ACPI in bios witht the same result.
Is there a way to maybe instal using a text based UI like on the ubuntu alternate cd?

I have heard mention about doing something in the command line "vga=771" and a few other things however i do not know how to do this from the DVD boot menu.
......maybe i need to get rid of my ATI video card.

I wouldnt think so but my motherboard has an nvidia northbridge hence A8N, do you think there may be an issue because i have an ATI video card. It works fine in windows so i do not think there is but it was a random thought.
lowjak
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Hello when you start you running of 1.7 it gives you a list of options hit F1 and then hit F6for more options including something about generic drivers can't remember exactly what but at boot enter that command..that maybe a go around will try to come back with more info,

The command at boot is, generic.all_generic_ide=1 , try that
"Back up your Data"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Mushkin SSD coming soon
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby lowjak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:44 pm

cowboy wrote:The command at boot is, generic.all_generic_ide=1 , try that

Ok I think this worked for me. I have loaded the live dvd and i am just waiting for the install to finish.
I will keep my progress posted. Thank you very much!!
lowjak
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby lowjak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 am

Ok i was able to install with only a couple of errors.
-@119% and @122%: E:sub-process/usr/bin/dpkg return on error code (1)
- subprocess post install script returned error exit status 1
Then after the reboot it installed the adobe plug-ins as well as the ATI drivers.
After the second reboot it will not pass the dragon boot screen just like it did in the live dvd.

I still have faith in this, i think maybe the resolution was not set right by the video driver. What do you think?
lowjak
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7