Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate 1.7 usb edition not booting with grub error 15

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Re: Ultimate 1.7 usb edition not booting with grub error 15

Postby pch.shot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 pm

We are talking circa 2000 dvd rom drives pal(those are the ones you get for 5 bucks). lol,pch
p.s.I'm never wrong!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Baphomet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:48 pm

pch.shot wrote:We are talking circa 2000 dvd rom drives pal(those are the ones you get for 5 bucks). lol,pch
p.s.I'm never wrong!!

You're never wrong, that's true, but this time you are incorrect. I remember having my a-- pulled out of the flames when Gutsy was first released by using a Compaq DVD-ROM drive from my very first PC ever (circa the late '90's (I rarely toss out major components/parts) when my super-duper and ultra sexy Plextor DVD-burner wouldn't boot, or even recognize, the LiveCD. The old Compaq DVD-ROM came to the rescue and installed Gutsy just fine. As would the $20 Sony drive I replaced my beloved Plextor drive with after swallowing THAT bitter little pill. For some reason, neither Gutsy nor Hardy seem to like that Plextor drive. It now resides in the GF's computer.

/P.S. You do know that a DVD-RW drive will burn CD's too, right? ;)
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:55 pm

That's funny because the one I bought for 5 bucks will only read dvds not cds. You must have a very special one. Maybe the only one of it's kind!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
http://www.slysoft.com/en/why-can-my-ca ... 0.440.html
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Nothing in your Wikipedia link indicates you can't use a standard CD in a DVD-ROM drive.

Geek.com however clearly states:
Geek dot com wrote:DVD-ROM drives can read CD-ROM disks, so if you have a DVD-ROM drive, you don’t need an extra CD-ROM drive.

And Baisc Hardware dot com agrees (despite some typographical errors, I think their intent is clear):
Basic Hardware wrote:DVDs look about the same and are the same size as a CD-ROM. DVD drives can also read CD-ROM drives, so you don't usually need a separate CD-ROM drive. DVD drives have become low enough inprice that there isn't much point in purchasing a CD-ROM drive instead of a DVD-ROM drive.

I may be special, but I'm not that special, and neither is my old DVD-ROM.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Actually I do believe that pch.shot is correct (to a degree). Obviously, now a days you can not find one if you try, or at least "not if I try", but - when DVD-ROM drives first came out they only read DVD's and not CD's. This is because the two different discs have different 'path' sizes (this is entirely due to the laser that was used to burn the data to the disc) that are read/written. CD's have a wider path and DVD's have a narrower path. The DVD-ROM drives of old did not and could not read CD's. As a matter of fact, My brother happened to purchase a Compaq in that era and it came with one "CD" reader/writer drive and one "DVD" drive (read only - they didn't even have a writer for computers yet). Now enter Blu-Ray discs: A laser with such precision that we can now cram about 25GB of info on one disc!!! WHOO HOO!!!! Talk about a removable media! This is of course bringing us to the real cool thing now where one laser can now be 'adjusted' to read/ write in multiple formats.

So- you are both correct:
pch.shot is right that DVD drives came out that could only read DVD's
Baph (OMG- somebody slap me silly) is right, that you would be hard pressed to find one of these old relics any more.

(just f'n with ya Mr. Baph, I know you can be right sometimes .... its just that its such a freak'n miracle when it happens, that I have to slap myself around a few times to make sure I'm not dreaming ... lol :lol: :lol: )
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:04 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:Actually I do believe that pch.shot is correct (to a degree).

I think it's far more likely that Mr. pch.shot's optical drive was, dare I say it? ... "Shot". I've lost count of the number of optical drives I've handled that have lost the ability to read one type of media or the other. If the LASER of the DVD-ROM is narrower (which it is (by an order of magnitude)) what exactly prevents it from reading the larger CD format? I'll tell you what... Nothing.

Sorry gents, but I'll believe in DVD-ROMS that don't read the CD format (per spec!), when I see one.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby cowboy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:05 pm

Maybe this link will help the knowledgeable as well as the "un" http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... DWARE.html :lol:
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:52 pm

I think the operative word here is play cds as in your favourite hanna montana pre-recorded cds. The reason a lot of older players will not play audio cds is the copywrite protection on the disc itself. Once pcs became more common in the 90's the recording industry decided to try and protect itself against piracy. That's why you can't just make a copy of a disc. You have to rip it first then make a copy. Open up any music cd and all you see are reference files Track01, Track02 etc.These are not the actual wave files just reference files similar to asx files on the internet. I hope this clarifies this. Of course DVD rom drives are compatible with data cds. That was the whole point when they were developed in the late 90's.
Now that we all have the person confused and bored who originally posted this thread, does anyone have an intelligent solution to his problem? lol,pch
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Baphomet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:18 pm

pch.shot wrote:I think the operative word here is play cds as in your favourite hanna montana pre-recorded cds. The reason a lot of older players will not play audio cds is the copywrite protection on the disc itself.

NOW we may be getting somewhere. Not being able to get a particular compact disc of music to play on your computer via your CD-ROM drive is, in my opinion, orders (plural!) of magnitude away from saying,"Some DVD-ROM drives can't read compact discs," and no, that is NOT "splitting hairs" either... That's a whoooole 'nuther set of issues. Not the least of which is the DRM-thing, which has nothing to do with optical media specs, the drives themselves, or cross compatibility of formats.

Now then... With all THAT aside, I still go back to my original suggestion of the 80-wire/40-pin connector cable. I know it sounds off the wall, but damn if it didn't solve my problem with my DVD drive (which also happens to both read and write to CD's).

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby DaddyX3 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:22 pm

OK, seems my memory is a little fuzzy. I just found out that the very first DVD Player ever (the Toshiba SD-300) played CD's as well as DVD's. Thats what I get for opening my mouth :o I think that my brothers computer that I spoke about was actually just one of those "stupid design" type things. You know .... why a CD and DVD if they made DVD players that could read CD's? Maybe cause they couldn't rip CD's when they were new? Oh well, sorry for the faulty hardware on top of my shoulders :!: :oops:

As for the cure all for the original posters question ....
a) re-install
b) install to different computer
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Did I mention that I love eating crow? It is some very yummy, tasty stuff..... mmmmmm.... love it!
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7