Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Once you have Ultimate Edition 1.7 feel free to post...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Re: Once you have Ultimate Edition 1.7 feel free to post...

Postby drama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 pm

Baphomet wrote:Just downloaded the torrent last night and I'd like to seed it now (assuming that's okay). I'll admit to being a bit-torrent n00b, however, and not being able to figure out HOW to seed the file... :(

Again, assuming it's okay to seed the file, could someone either give me some really simple instructions on how to seed a torrent or point me to some decent instructions, please?

if you have downloaded the torrent completely and havent deleted the 3 files it downloaded (.iso, .iso.md5 and .iso.sha1) there is nothing you should need to do. just leave your torrent client up. after you download it should auto matically start seeding. actually while your downloading your even uploading at the same time.. this how torrents work. you d/l in pieces. think of it like this. say there are 3 ppl in the "swarm" the seed (this person has the whole file) then me and you (we only have part of it) i have pieces 1-100. u have 101-200. when we both connect i will send you what is called a "got". it jus tells you what pieces i have so you dont try 2 send me them as well as so you can request them from me if you should need them. you will do the same thing.ill automatically begin requesting a piece from you (one that i dont have but you do have) and you will do the same. everybody in the swarm will do the exact same thing. you all send a "got" to everyone in the swarm and they in turn send one to you.

what torrent client do you use by the way?

if its still open it should say seeding next to the finished torrent. it will only seed as long as you leave it open. but if you should close the program and open it again later it will resume seeding.

p.s. sorry for the long explaination of how it works. i got a lil carried away.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:40 pm

DaddyX3 wrote:Well, If you downloaded it from a torrent, the best thing you could do for your community of fellow down-loaders is to let your torrent browser/client remain on and it will seed by itself, typically we would like to see a ratio of 1.5 times. In other words if you download 1GiB file you should seed it long enough that your uploaded amount is 1.5GiB. If you just downloaded it from the link here in the forum (straight from ccal) I would have to ask what torrent client do you use? I know that uTorrent, Azereus and a few others make it fairly easy. Typically all you need to do is open your torrent client and go through your menu's till you find "create torrent" or "upload torrent file" something along those lines. Then you point to a file on your computer and it is ready for uploading. Next, you go to your favorite torrent site and find their link (usually on the home page) for torrenting a file. Its fairly straight forward. If you get lost I can try to help you out a little more, but my time and availability is shrinking as of lately ... sorry. Good luck! Don't be afraid to re-post! :D

Okay, that sounds simple enough. I did download it from a torrent, and I know that Ultimate comes with a couple applications that can handle torrents. I'm familiar with Azereus if that would be a good choice (though I typically use Rythmbox for my day-to-day listening). I'll poke around and see if I can't figure it out. I figure seeding is the least I can do and I have no problem letting my PC at home run while I'm at work. Thanks for the assist!

Further, I thought I was going to hold off on doing a full-blown reformat and reinstall until this weekend at the earliest, but I just couldn't help myself. The LiveDVD ran like a dream, as always, and the next thing I knew my mouse was hovering over "Guided Install: Use Entire Disk". So, yeah, I went ahead and did the deed.

Quick question for TheeMahn: Is there some reason CCSM does not come pre-installed on Ultimate? No big deal to install it myself with Synaptic, but with everything else that comes pre-installed on Ultimate Edition, including CCSM seems infinitely logical to me. Just a thought...

Edit: @ Drama' ... Crosspost! ;) Thanks for that information! When I get home tonight I'll see if i can't get to seeding. I did indeed keep all the files, but I'm not sure specifically which application did the downloading; it would have been whatever client Ultimate Edition uses by default. I think I've got enough info now to figure out how to seed this bugger.

Thanks for the help!!
Last edited by Baphomet on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby drama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Baphomet wrote:Is there some reason CCSM does not come pre-installed on Ultimate? No big deal to install it myself with Synaptic, but with everything else that comes pre-installed on Ultimate Edition, including CCSM seems infinitely logical to me. Just a thought...

idk if its different or not since ive never used ccsm. open system--->preferences--->advanced desktop settings

this is what i use for my compiz. like i said idk if its the exact same thing as ccsm but i assume its very similar.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:52 pm

drama1981 wrote:idk if its different or not since ive never used ccsm. open system--->preferences--->advanced desktop settings

this is what i use for my compiz. like i said idk if its the exact same thing as ccsm but i assume its very similar.

Interesting. Even after installing the nVidia restricted driver, I don't HAVE the "Advanced Desktop Options" option in my System Preferences menu. Not seeing that option is what indicated to me I needed to install CCSM. Once I did, then "Advanced Desktop Options" appear in my menu... But not before.

Am I doing something wrong?

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby drama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Baphomet wrote:
drama1981 wrote:idk if its different or not since ive never used ccsm. open system--->preferences--->advanced desktop settings

Interesting. Even after installing the nVidia restricted driver, I don't HAVE the "Advanced Desktop Options" option in my System Preferences menu. Not seeing that option is what indicated to me I needed to install CCSM. Once I did, then "Advanced Desktop Options" appear in my menu... But not before.

Am I doing something wrong?

im glad you got it there now. but that is very odd. its always been there for me. idk about on 1.7 as i havent gotten to installing yet (dvd is burning right now). it shouldve been there though. im sure it is nothing you did wrong. it may have jus mistakenly been left out of the install. thee mahn usually puts that in there but its possible i suppose that he mistakenly left it out. it shouldve been there from the start even b4 installing the drivers. because like i said its always been there for me from the very beginning. have you do the inital updates yet? did you noticed if it said it was gonna remove anything? its possible that for some reason when the inital update ran it removed it for some weird reason.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:47 pm

drama1981 wrote:im glad you got it there now. but that is very odd. its always been there for me. idk about on 1.7 as i havent gotten to installing yet (dvd is burning right now). it shouldve been there though. im sure it is nothing you did wrong. it may have jus mistakenly been left out of the install. thee mahn usually puts that in there but its possible i suppose that he mistakenly left it out. it shouldve been there from the start even b4 installing the drivers. because like i said its always been there for me from the very beginning. have you do the inital updates yet? did you noticed if it said it was gonna remove anything? its possible that for some reason when the inital update ran it removed it for some weird reason.

Hmmm... Okay, maybe I'm not being clear, or maybe we're talking about two different things. I'm not behind a Ubuntu machine at the moment (XP at the office, dontcha know), so I'm going by memory here...

When I first install I can go into System/Preferences/Appearance and click the radio button to turn "ON" the option "Enable Advanced Desktop Effects" even before installing the restricted driver. When I activate that option, I am prompted to install the restricted driver. I do exactly that using Envy. Envy does its magic and I am prompted to reboot, which I do.

After this reboot I go back into System/Preferences and still no "Advanced Desktop Settings" option; only the "Appearance" option.

I run synaptic, search on Compiz and install several packages; one of which is the Compiz-Config Settings Manager (CCSM) as well as some dependent packages. Time passes... Synaptic does its thing.

NOW when I go to System/Preferences I see both "Appearance" and "Advanced Desktop Effects" listed. I go into "Advanced Desktop Effects" and this opens CCSM where I can enable and tweak all the various Compiz' plugins.

Are you having a different experience when you do a fresh install? Again, this is all kind of moot, I suppose, since it's really a simple matter to install CCSM, but now I'm curious!

Thanks for your input, by the way!

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby drama » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Baphomet wrote:
drama1981 wrote:im glad you got it there now. but that is very odd. its always been there for me. idk about on 1.7 as i havent gotten to installing yet (dvd is burning right now). it shouldve been there though. im sure it is nothing you did wrong. it may have jus mistakenly been left out of the install. thee mahn usually puts that in there but its possible i suppose that he mistakenly left it out. it shouldve been there from the start even b4 installing the drivers. because like i said its always been there for me from the very beginning. have you do the inital updates yet? did you noticed if it said it was gonna remove anything? its possible that for some reason when the inital update ran it removed it for some weird reason.

Hmmm... Okay, maybe I'm not being clear, or maybe we're talking about two different things. I'm not behind a Ubuntu machine at the moment (XP at the office, dontcha know), so I'm going by memory here...

When I first install I can go into System/Preferences/Appearance and click the radio button to turn "ON" the option "Enable Advanced Desktop Effects" even before installing the restricted driver. When I activate that option, I am prompted to install the restricted driver. I do exactly that using Envy. Envy does its magic and I am prompted to reboot, which I do.

After this reboot I go back into System/Preferences and still no "Advanced Desktop Settings" option; only the "Appearance" option.

I run synaptic, search on Compiz and install several packages; one of which is the Compiz-Config Settings Manager (CCSM) as well as some dependent packages. Time passes... Synaptic does its thing.

NOW when I go to System/Preferences I see both "Appearance" and "Advanced Desktop Effects" listed. I go into "Advanced Desktop Effects" and this opens CCSM where I can enable and tweak all the various Compiz' plugins.

Are you having a different experience when you do a fresh install? Again, this is all kind of moot, I suppose, since it's really a simple matter to install CCSM, but now I'm curious!

Thanks for your input, by the way!

nah u were completely clear. and we are talking about the same exact thing. and you are right advanced desktop settings (basically ccsm) is missing from system---->preferences. on 1.7. i just installed and your right it is gone. its always been there w/ every version of Ultimate Edition that ive installed until now. its usually right there in the menu. i assume that thee mahn just mistakenly forgot to add it. not that its a big deal because it takes no time at all for us end users to add it ourselves (took me all of about 10secs and it was done). just a simple sudo apt-get install. it jus struck me as a lil odd when you said it wasnt already there thats all. jus cuz im so used 2 it being already there im sure.
Antec 900two case
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Baphomet » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:03 pm

drama1981 wrote:nah u were completely clear. and we are talking about the same exact thing. and you are right advanced desktop settings (basically ccsm) is missing from system---->preferences. on 1.7. i just installed and your right it is gone. its always been there w/ every version of Ultimate Edition that ive installed until now. its usually right there in the menu. i assume that thee mahn just mistakenly forgot to add it. not that its a big deal because it takes no time at all for us end users to add it ourselves (took me all of about 10secs and it was done). just a simple sudo apt-get install. it jus struck me as a lil odd when you said it wasnt already there thats all. jus cuz im so used 2 it being already there im sure.

Okay then... Glad we got that figured out! Like you said, it's a ten-second install; no harm no foul. I just thought it a little odd CCSM being absent in fresh install, what with Ultimate being stuffed to the gills with software right off the rack like it is.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:08 am

Baphomet wrote:
DaddyX3 wrote:Well, If you downloaded it from a torrent, the best thing you could do for your community of fellow down-loaders is to let your torrent browser/client remain on and it will seed by itself, typically we would like to see a ratio of 1.5 times. In other words if you download 1GiB file you should seed it long enough that your uploaded amount is 1.5GiB. If you just downloaded it from the link here in the forum (straight from ccal) I would have to ask what torrent client do you use? I know that uTorrent, Azereus and a few others make it fairly easy. Typically all you need to do is open your torrent client and go through your menu's till you find "create torrent" or "upload torrent file" something along those lines. Then you point to a file on your computer and it is ready for uploading. Next, you go to your favorite torrent site and find their link (usually on the home page) for torrenting a file. Its fairly straight forward. If you get lost I can try to help you out a little more, but my time and availability is shrinking as of lately ... sorry. Good luck! Don't be afraid to re-post! :D

Okay, that sounds simple enough. I did download it from a torrent, and I know that Ultimate comes with a couple applications that can handle torrents. I'm familiar with Azereus if that would be a good choice (though I typically use Rythmbox for my day-to-day listening). I'll poke around and see if I can't figure it out. I figure seeding is the least I can do and I have no problem letting my PC at home run while I'm at work. Thanks for the assist!

Further, I thought I was going to hold off on doing a full-blown reformat and reinstall until this weekend at the earliest, but I just couldn't help myself. The LiveDVD ran like a dream, as always, and the next thing I knew my mouse was hovering over "Guided Install: Use Entire Disk". So, yeah, I went ahead and did the deed.

Quick question for TheeMahn: Is there some reason CCSM does not come pre-installed on Ultimate? No big deal to install it myself with Synaptic, but with everything else that comes pre-installed on Ultimate Edition, including CCSM seems infinitely logical to me. Just a thought...

Edit: @ Drama' ... Crosspost! ;) Thanks for that information! When I get home tonight I'll see if i can't get to seeding. I did indeed keep all the files, but I'm not sure specifically which application did the downloading; it would have been whatever client Ultimate Edition uses by default. I think I've got enough info now to figure out how to seed this bugger.

Thanks for the help!!

ccsm has been replaced by compiz-config System >> Preferences >> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

Fusion-Icon is also included Applications >> System Tools >> Compiz-Fusion-Icon.

Is there anything ccsm can do that those 2 cant?

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Baphomet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am

TheeMahn wrote:ccsm has been replaced by compiz-config System >> Preferences >> Advanced Desktop Effects Settings.

Fusion-Icon is also included Applications >> System Tools >> Compiz-Fusion-Icon.

Is there anything ccsm can do that those 2 cant?

TheeMahn

I see now. Most awesome! Thank you for the clarification, that works perfectly. As usual it was just me missing something.

Also... I'm seeding away, via Bit Tornado, since sometime last night.

Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.7