Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

2 Small Issues: Boot-Splash & Window Decorations

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

Re: 2 Small Issues: Boot-Splash & Window Decorations

Postby Baphomet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 pm

drama1981 wrote:... what im saying is it doesnt happen on every install. but its mind boggling how it doesnt happen on every install i do. this makes me think that its something with the installer especially since i always have a usplash on the live cd/dvd.

Okay, I officially give up!! LOL... Seriously, you have two identical boxes and it appears to depend on the install whether or not you get "splashed" or not? Wow... How weird is that? And yeah, that's kinda what I don't get: usplash shows for me on the LiveCD/DVD as well. It's enough to have me pulling my hair out. Almost.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: 2 Small Issues: Boot-Splash & Window Decorations

Postby drama » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:07 pm

thats exactly right. its almost like the installer itself is totally screwed. like its not always pullin in certain things that are needed but yet other times it does pull them in. like i said my main box is the one that i usually dont get a splash on. but there has been a few times that to my amazement i actually get a splash after install. and as far as that goes my usplash.conf isnt even always the same after every install. ive seen a few things happen.

1: it just plain works out of the box. usplash is auto configured to 1024x768

2: dont work. now when it doesnt work at least in my case its because the resolution is way off. its usually 1280x1024 but ive seen it as high as 1680x1050.

now mind you the max resolution of my monitor is 1024x768 (its a cheap 15inch lcd). xorg of course detects this and sets it to 1024x768 max.

now if xorg detects thats the max why in the world would the usplash.conf get set so damn high. if xorg detects i cant go any higher than 1024x768 what on earth make the usplash package think i can display a splash higher than that.

i also run debian lenny of course this has no splash by default. its set up for a "text" boot. the packages are there in the repos though. when i get a chance ill install the usplash package in lenny and see if the problem exists there. i know that wont help you any presently. but it would at least give a hint as to if its something the ubuntu devs actually did, if its really in the installer as i suspect, or if its a problem "upstream". if i do get the same problem with debian though that means its not anything to do with the installer (since debian doesnt even install usplash by default....you cant even choose to install it untill after your done with the installer) it would have to be an issue in the usplash package itself. its entirely possible that the issue was either injected by debian devs (i consider this upstream to ubuntu) or it could even be farther upstream than that. it could go all the way to the source.

im going to give it a shot this weekend though and let you know what i find out.

cheers <BREW>

-drama

p.s. sorry fer such a long azz post
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master