Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

(SOLVED) 8.04 & Backups

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.7

(SOLVED) 8.04 & Backups

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Hey,

Yesterday I decided to try out something reaaaaaaaal stupid.
And that was to upgrade this beautiful Ultimate Edition 1.7 to Ubuntu 8.04 whilst keeping all the features of Ultimate Edition
Sounded pretty simple to me. But after a download of 4 hours and then an install of a couple with lots of errors being spewed out at me it was ready. Well come on what did I expect it was Alpha stage.
Anyway from the start it went wrong, the icons looked better and it looked a lot more up to date sure, but I had a million and one Crash reports. And when its 2am you kinda think, ugh its too late for messing around now. I guess I'll wait for next month. When you already have a moany laptop like mine you cant really please it anyways.

But I wasn't too bothered, I had backed up all my data using Backup config supplied in Ultimate Edition 1.7.
Having had that stored on my Ipod I went to format the laptop using the lovely 1.7 DVD.
Everytime I installed it and booted up, all was well but the next boot left me hanging. This happened 4 times and now no other cd's were being read...whats going on?! I got a bit worried. Decided to put the lappy to sleep and try again in the morning. That made all the difference. God knows what that was all about and now all is working well...or is it?

Sure enough all went well and I transfered my backup file to my Desktop
opened the backup restore and put the file in to no avail, so I looked in the /var/backup folder only to find it doesnt exist?! so i mkdir'ed one and placed my file in there and PING up comes a list of the folders I want to restore. So I select each one, one by one and all seems to have gone fine and I reboot. When I log in again theres no change on the surface and after looking through my Home folder theres no change there either.

Now unless I'm doing something wrong them 4Gb that was eaten up by the backup must have done something right?

Anybody know what I can do?

Thanks, Arthur
Last edited by xtremesupremacy3 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- The little army stands proud against the geeky glasses wearing millionaire of a tyrant -

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
Intel Centrino Duo 1.8Ghz
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT

Re: 8.04 & Backups

Postby LeadFingers » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:27 pm

xtremesupremacy3 wrote:so I looked in the /var/backup folder only to find it doesnt exist?! so i mkdir'ed one and placed my file in there and PING up comes a list of the folders I want to restore. So I select each one, one by one and all seems to have gone fine and I reboot. When I log in again theres no change on the surface and after looking through my Home folder theres no change there either.
Now unless I'm doing something wrong them 4Gb that was eaten up by the backup must have done something right?
Anybody know what I can do?
Thanks, Arthur
/var/backup or /var/backups ?
One of the little 1.7 quirks, It transfers Bak files to /var/backups, (by default)
but looks for Bak files in ................................/var/backup, (by default)
And will not see anything in /var/backups

Make a Bak folder in your /home & fill it with your Bak stuff
From the 'Simple Bak restore", try selecting "use custom"
point it to the file you just made, and see if that works
(prolly a permissions thang)
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: 8.04 & Backups

Postby xtremesupremacy3 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Well I figured it out...I'm going to have to say it's due to permissions.

Just in case anyone else has the same trouble or just for future reference here is exactly what I did and all went successful:

1)I opened console window and typed the following
Code: Select all
cd /var
after which I went to make a directory for backup
sudo mkdir backup

2)once this had been done I moved my file which I'll call backup.1.1.1.ful just for eduction purposes like so
sudo mv /home/myfolder/backup.1.1.1.ful /var/backup

3)After the file was moved I simply typed the following
sudo srestore /var/backup/backup.1.1.1.ful /home/myfolder

And it copied the contents, after which I needed to reboot and all was well except the wallpaper.

Just a few point to the people who need this as a guide. I used 'backup.1.1.1.ful' and 'myfolder' as a guide, please replace with your full backup name and replace myfolder with the name of your home directory.

Also if you just want it to be copied to a certain folder in your home directory for instance folder 'old' then instead of the last code type in this:
sudo srestore /var/backup/backup.1.1.1.ful /home/myfolder/old
replacing name of backup file and name of folder accordingly.

Hope this helps others too
- The little army stands proud against the geeky glasses wearing millionaire of a tyrant -

Arthur
Ultimate Edition 2.2
Dell Inspiron 6400
Intel Centrino Duo 1.8Ghz
1Gb RAM
80Gb Harddrive
AC97 Sound
ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
xtremesupremacy3
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.6 64 BIT