Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Changing Screen resolution in Ultimate Edition 4.2 ?

Feedback for Ultimate Edition 4.2

Changing Screen resolution in Ultimate Edition 4.2 ?

Postby geraldfryjr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:02 am

Hi There!!
I just got Ultimate Edition 4.2 installed and I am trying to figure out how to change my screen resolution.
I have the a Nividia driver install and it is set to 1152x864, but I need at least a 1600x1200 resolution as my monitor is an IBM Think vision and is capable of 2500x1600!
The video card that I am using is a 7600gs.
I am a newbie when it comes to knowing my way around inside of linux and the terminal panel.
I have been reading up on xrand and gtf and stuff but it is still all greek to me right now.
I would like to learn if it is possible how to add different resolution options so that my settings can stay after a reboot instead of having to enter them in manually (once I learn how) and/or should I change monitors.
I typically run two monitors on each system as I do have several systems to work with.
I don't know off hand what my vertical and horizotal frequency's need to be for my choosen resolutions but I can find those out.
All of my monitors are CRT types and I do commonly run them at higher resolutions with the cards that I have, using that (cough) other system! ;)

Any help will be much appreciated.
I have been using Ultimate Edition since version 3.5 and I am completely impressed with this latest version 4.2 and 4.0 as well.
Thanks!!

jer :)
geraldfryjr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: Changing Screen resolution in Ultimate Edition 4.2 ?

Postby billhedrick » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:45 am

go to system/preferences/additional drivers. Go to the Additional drivers tab, select an NVIDIA driver, there may be more than one, hit apply and once installed, restart. It should install and go to the max resolution automatically. But if it doesn't go to system/preferences/monitors and you should be able to set the resolution correctly. You may need to change drivers if the one you install doesn't work correctly, but the tools are there.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby geraldfryjr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Moderated By: Blackwolf
Deleted duplicate post. No longer under MODERATION.

Thank's I did all of that and I tried all of the drivers and none of them have a higher resolution like I need.
It also needs to be one with a 3:4 aspect ratio.

After playing around with xrand an gfs some strange things were happening, where after I had closed the web browser a duplicate image was left on the screen until I wiped it clean by left clicking and moving the mouse around.

Then I did a reboot and then I had a 1600x1200 resolution but my original desktop image taskbars and screen as a whole was smaller due to the changed resolution.
Even though I could open up the browser and/or have control over the whole screen with the mouse, I could not move or resize the taskbars as the bottom one was now in the middle of the screen.
This also interfered with the expanded browser image that was working in a 1600x1200 mode.

Then I tried to change to another driver hoping that it would go back to the default screen mode and that caused me no video what so ever upon a reboot so I had to start all over with a new install.

I did find out that it can be done, But I need to know the proper procedure to make it function correctly as a whole.
Else I will be doing a lot of re-installs until I get it right. ;)
Since you have to do a reboot every time you change something with the video driver, I can't do this in live mode that I know of.

I am also going to try swapping out the video card for an old ATI RamPage 128 that I have and maybe I will have more options of resolution as I know that card has the mode I need as well, I used to use it.
With this I will also have the benefit of having a NTSC video digitizer as well.
I don't do any gaming so there isn't any issue of performance I just want I higher screen resolution is all.
geraldfryjr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby newmusic » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:59 am

When using my last monitor, and installed the Nvidia card drivers i could not get the correct resolution - it was unusual size anyway.
Now I have a new 1920x1080 screen and cannot get that resolution. However I have not installed the nvidia drivers.
But - I installed Ubuntu 14.xx and it immediately recognised my monitor without drivers. No tweaking, no fiddling - straight 1920x1080 resolution.

If Ubuntu can do this, Why cant UE4.2?

THanks
newmusic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby newmusic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:45 am

Thanks for reply.
Yeah I hear you, but Ubuntu 14.x does it automatically even in live cd version. I dont have to spend time diong the sudo updates etc.
If Ultimate Edition is using the Ubuntu core, surely it should also do it automatically???
newmusic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 4.2