Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Problems with Gnome 3 and Unity 3D

Problems with Gnome 3 and Unity 3D

Postby n3wbuntu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't know if anyone else has come across this problem... I am new to linux so correct me if I am wrong, the Gnome 3 environment requires the metacity window manager? So I turn on the metacity window manager, try to log into Gnome 3... just wallpaper.

I then type ctrl+alt+t to get to the terminal
type ccsm
turned off all the plugins I could... wallpaper!

I then type ctrl+alt+f1 to get to tty
then type export DISPLAY=:0.0
then type gnome-shell --replace
then type ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to desktop

Gnome 3 is now up and running untill the next session. The same thing happened for me with Unity 3D after turning on the plugin and typing unity --replace instead. Only difference is I figured out that if I log into Gnome classic and enable compiz then the Unity 3D panel and launcher will load on top of the Gnome classic panel. This enables me to log back into Unity 3D without having to replace my shell on every login. I am wondering if this is a driver problem. I did not find Linux until Ubuntu 10.10 which I could not get to work with my Ironlake chipset on my Latitude E6410 (no Nvidia) due to what I assumed was a kernel problem that was fixed in 11.04 and the 2.6.38 kernel. Still I had a couple problems seemed like xorg.conf file would get lost or something, every once in a while I would boot to the blank screen. Frustrated, I happened to come across UbuntuStudio, which worked fine... until the 3.0 kernel upgrade left me with the blank screen again. This is the only ubuntu 11.10 distro that doesn't give me the blank screen THANK YOU. I don't really care for Unity, Gnome seems a lot cooler. Before I figured out how to get Gnome 3 up, I installed Opensuse 12.1 to play with the environment. Is there any way I can get Gnome 3 to load on every session without having to replace the shell.
:?:
n3wbuntu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Dapper Drake

Re: Problems with Gnome 3 and Unity 3D

Postby pch.shot » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 pm

My advice is don't over complicate it.Computing should be fun.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby n3wbuntu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 pm

pch.shot wrote:My advice is don't over complicate it.Computing should be fun.

I'm having fun computing now... since I found the Ultimate Edition distros... not like that other guy. Just wanted to let everyone who want to use Unity that I found a "fix". I on the other hand will not use Unity at all and was wondering if someone has come across a similar "fix" for Gnome. By the way I've tried both 32 and 64bit versions with the same result. Have also tried on a desktop that also has intel ironlake hd graphics chipset. I'll try to re-install on the desktop without onboard graphics later this week. In the meantime "gnome-shell --replace" :D
n3wbuntu
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Dapper Drake

Postby BavarianPH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello.
I would like to write how I got here,
(from Ubuntu 12.04 to EU 3.2).
This is my second attempt to
install, configure EU 3.2;
the first: EU 3.2 64 bit: install proved
difficult due to lack of font visibility,
(white on white). ditto for EU 3.2 32 bit.
After install, I am not ready for 64 bit,
Ubuntu 12.04 is 32 bit (by choice),
all my debs, backups, etc., are 32 bit.
Ubuntu 12.04 defaults to Unity-shell.
No choice, Gnome-shell no longer
considered Ubuntu.
I hate Unity-shell!
Gnome-shell is awesome!!
EU 3.2 offers many choices,
as open source should.
Thank You.

New to EU, I need help to properly
install, so each shell logs in actively.

Do you have an install or repair manual?

Please advice.
Thank you,
BavarianPH
BavarianPH
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 3.2 Graphics Issues ? Post Here